ability to adjust playback speed

roberthleeii

corvolio
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, it's not that useful for movies or TV Shows but for some people would be useful watching lectures, knowledge base series and things like that.  You get a speaker who goes at a snails pace so you tweak the speed a bit to move faster.

I'm sure others have additional uses for slowing or speeding up video but that's the only time I personally use anything like this.

I tend to watch stuff or listen to stuff as i do something else, like play a video game. I think there are certain circumstances that i find myself in where i would watch movies and tv shows at a 2x speed or at least 1.5. I have conditioned my brain by listening to audiobooks and podcasts at faster speeds (up to 3x) and i now almost exclusively watch any youtube video at least 1.5x. so i think this feature would get used a lot with movies and tv shows. some may not use it, i know i certainly would. I am not familiar with the emby codebase or how this type of feature would get implemented but I am a developer and if getting this feature required me to spend some nights and weekends helping where i can. i'd love to contribute. if that's possible please let me know. 

I agree fully with audiiobooks, podcasts as that's sort of the type of thing I was talking about.  Who knows, I might even do this for shows or movies when I using them only for background noise while working.  It would be a useful feature to have regardless of how each of us use it.

One of the "stumbling blocks" I'd see possibly happening is someone speeding up videos that need transcoding and not keeping up and getting stuttering. But that's bridge to cross later.

"Hey doc it hurts when I do this".  "Well then I'd advise you to stop doing that". :)

• 1 month later...

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to set the playback speed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to set the playback speed.

Very good news, thanks

miniliQuid
On 14/09/2020 at 09:10, Luke said:

Wow, more awesome news. Great job you guys :D

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 00:10, Luke said:

Thank you!

Dan_Austin

@Luke Any chance this will enable FFWD/RWD improvements to allow for a non-skip style version on apps that use skip only navigation?

Something along the lines of one press of FFWD gets 2x realtime, a second press gets 3x, a third 5x (rates are meant as an example only).  Play or fourth press returns to realtime playback.

Note IF this changes enables it, THEN I will open a feature request in the specific apps.  No sense asking for something that is not possible...

On 9/14/2020 at 8:31 AM, bg2019 said:

That's great! Thanks Luke.

Presumably this would cover audio playback as well as video?

Just updated - great to see this in the video player which will certainly be useful. I can't see it as an option anywhere for audio playback; I know this is an in-progress enhancement, so hopefully it's on the list as it will be useful for podcasts.

A good start though. Thanks!

9 hours ago, MAX92 said:

Is it possible in next version to accelerate until 2x ? 

Hi,  you can do this in Emby Server 4.5.

1 hour ago, lalajee said:

I just upgraded my emby portal to 4.5 but I dont see this option in the browser.

image.png.da9f8973c6cd5efceffc566cff3a7984.png

image.thumb.png.3950611d75df6dd87f55dd5211c363c6.png

You need to have an external subtitle track selected before it will show up.

lalajee
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

You need to have an external subtitle track selected before it will show up.

Where do I need to select that