ability to adjust playback speed

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

I would like the ability to adjust the playback speed of my videos and recordings. YouTube.com does this and i think it is a very convenient feature to have. 

• Like 30

• 2 weeks later...
earthtorob

Back in the day XBMC on my Xbox would have a lot of play speed options.  And variable pan and zoom with the controller joy sticks.  It was fantastic.

• 1 year later...
danielwong

I agree that this would be awesome. Perhaps it could be limited to direct play if it's too difficult to implement for transcoding. This would make watching lecture videos and other informational videos so much better!

• 1 month later...
roberthleeii

I just wanted to vote this back up. I have been watching a lot of youtube and this is such a great feature. 

Vito_MCE

+1 for this. This it the main reason i use external player instead of Emby built in. Ability to speed up or slow down in .1 or even 0.05 increments would be extremely useful

• 3 weeks later...
miniliQuid

Kind of like VLC where you can kind of fast forward with 0.5 steps (so 1.5, 2, 2.5 etc) or play slowmotion like while retaining sound?

Don't come across it often, do love it in VLC, sure comes in handy every now and then.

• 2 months later...

Adding my support for playback speed adjustment, please!

I'm moving over from Plex where this is a feature which I find extremely useful for listening to recorded radio shows (MP3 audio). I'll play them at 1.3x normal speed which is still listenable and saves a fair bit of time over a 2.5hr file.

funwithmedia

Sometimes movies will have an image gallery that, after conversion, ends up being a video file that "plays" through all the images. Depending on how it was originally setup when the DVD/Blu-ray was created the video file sometimes will play too fast when viewed as a separate file (ie, the playback speed was somehow originally controlled by the DVD menu). So, being able to adjust playback speed to slow down the video would be super-useful for those cases (in addition to the other uses of adjustable playback speed). :)

• 1 month later...
Tegenarian

1+  (Just want to write a feature request for this) 

As a musician I have more wishes: 

1. Button for external Player (I don't want to start every file/movie with an external player; just some)

2. A -> B Loop (perfect if I can save the actual Loop for the next day) 

3. Slow down/speed up 

4. Pitch 

This would be awesome but most important for me would be 1 (because this solve 2 -> 4 a little bit). 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
astralwiz

Being able to change playback speed will be highly useful for me as well. I like to to watch Do-It-Yourself (DIY) videos on servicing washing machine, reverse osmosis water purifier, bike etc. as well as kitchen recipes. Even if I watch a video at normal speed during first viewing, increasing playback speed during subsequent/ later viewings saves a lot of time - especially when I have to cover a large no. of videos.

Youtube android app allows to speed up videos upto 2x, which is great - but allowing upto 4x speed would be better.

To increase playback speed of downloaded videos, I use -

• On Windows: Daum PotPlayer (older version without adware), which has handy shortcut keys 'c' and 'x' to increase and decrease playback speed. Sometimes I watch videos at 4x speed with it. It may seem unbelievable, but some training videos are so slow that they can be viewed and listened with full comprehension even at more than 4x speed. Allows upto 12x.
  • On Android Mobile/Tab: MX Player (using ES Explorer to access network shared folder containing training videos). It also has facility to increase and decrease playback speed. Allows upto 4x.

It would be great if I could use my much bigger Samsung Tizen Smart TV to view/ review these training videos at increased speed. I'm eagerly waiting for it to be implemented. Hope it gets released soon. Thanks.

Edited by astralwiz
New info added.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:27 AM, khannover said:

I'd love that feature for music too, not just videos 🎧

Yea, nothing like having Metallica sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks. :)

corvolio
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yea, nothing like having Metallica sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks. :)

sounds normal with enough caffeine :) lol  

• Haha 1

jeremyuw10

Was so excited to try out this new app and.... no playback speed??

How is that feature not standard in every media app?

1 hour ago, jeremyuw10 said:

That's one way of looking at it. Another is there are other features that users have wanted more so that's where our attention has been. We will get to this though.

2 hours ago, jeremyuw10 said:

Hi. Are you misunderstanding what this feature request is for?  You can skip ahead and back during playback in our apps, you just cannot change the normal rate of playback.  While this can be a useful feature in some circumstances, most people watch or listen to their media at the normal playback speed.

Just wanted to be sure that you didn't think there wasn't any way to skip around.

Thanks.

Yes, it's not that useful for movies or TV Shows but for some people would be useful watching lectures, knowledge base series and things like that.  You get a speaker who goes at a snails pace so you tweak the speed a bit to move faster.

I'm sure others have additional uses for slowing or speeding up video but that's the only time I personally use anything like this.