ability to adjust playback speed

roberthleeii

MortigiTempo
6 hours ago, ebr said:

The difference is probably that they weren't bitstreaming with the previous version.

What we may have to do is add back an option to force the system to mix down the audio for those that want that.

Okay, that's what I figured. I'll keep an eye out should you guys add that.

The only thing that still seems like an odd wrinkle is I don't think/didn't realize it was downmixing it before. Of course, I have no way of checking to be certain now, but when I use Emby at faster speed on my iPhone it seems to indicate it's directly playing the direct audio file. According to the stats for nerds info it says it's Play method is "DirectPlay" (the audio is EAC3 6 channel 48000Hz). VLC seems to show it's playing the original audio track (audio is A/52 B Audio [aka E-AC3] 6 channel 48000Hz). In both cases the Emby Dashboard also indicates direct play. There's no indication anything is being transcoded, so perhaps mixing down the audio a simpler unrelated process?

From my point of view which is (admittedly limited) it really seems like the AndroidTV app just doesn't want to work with these files anymore. First it's seeing these other methods seemingly take the same direct 5.1 EAC audio stream and adjust the speed without a problem. Then you add on that even after turning off surround sound in the Android settings and forcing the AndroidTV app to transcode the audio down to stereo it still won't adjust the speed. It just really feels like the app is messing with me at this point. I know it's not true, but it feels that way. 😄

1 hour ago, MortigiTempo said:

so perhaps mixing down the audio a simpler unrelated process?

Yes.  The item can still direct play and have the app decode the audio instead of sending the bitstream to the outboard equipment.  But, when you do that (on an Android device), you are almost always giving up your surround sound - something that is irrelevant on a phone but not necessarily a TV.

• Thanks 2

MortigiTempo
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes.  The item can still direct play and have the app decode the audio instead of sending the bitstream to the outboard equipment.  But, when you do that (on an Android device), you are almost always giving up your surround sound - something that is irrelevant on a phone but not necessarily a TV.

Gotcha. This helps explain some of why this is such a pain to implement. The other guys haven't even bothered to try it, so I really appreciate that it works at all and that you've taken the time out to implement it and respond to questions. Thanks again for all you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
itschrisonline

Hi all,

Didn't know if i should start a new thread or not but I was wondering if we could get the speed increase to at least 4x?

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itschrisonline said:

Hi all,

Didn't know if i should start a new thread or not but I was wondering if we could get the speed increase to at least 4x?

Cheers

HI, yes more options are certainly possible. thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
devilsangel360

Trying this on a Fire TV Cube. I do not see any playback speed adjustment option. Same video on an android phone shows the speed control button. Is FireTV getting this awesome feature?

7 hours ago, devilsangel360 said:

Trying this on a Fire TV Cube. I do not see any playback speed adjustment option. Same video on an android phone shows the speed control button. Is FireTV getting this awesome feature?

Hi.  It already has it but it cannot work if you are bitstreaming audio which is probably what is happening here.

reptarsrage

Here's a dumb script that increases/decreases playback speed in the browser, just install using TamperMonkey or paste into console:

const palybackRates = [0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2]
let idx = 3
document.onkeydown = function (event) {
  event = event || window.event
  switch (event.which) {
    case 187: // +
      idx = Math.min(idx + 1, palybackRates.length - 1)
      console.log(`Setting playback speed to ${palybackRates[idx]}`)
      require(['playbackManager'], function (playbackManager) {
        playbackManager.setPlaybackRate(palybackRates[idx], playbackManager.getCurrentPlayer())
      })
      break
    case 189: // -
      idx = Math.max(idx - 1, 0)
        playbackManager.setPlaybackRate(palybackRates[idx], playbackManager.getCurrentPlayer())
      })
      break
    default:
      console.log(`Unknown key ${event.which}`)
      break
  }
}

The hotkey used above are "+" and "-" keys, you can change them to anything you want.

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, reptarsrage said:

Here's a dumb script that increases/decreases playback speed in the browser, just install using TamperMonkey or paste into console:

const palybackRates = [0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2]
let idx = 3
  switch (event.which) {
    case 187: // +
      idx = Math.min(idx + 1, palybackRates.length - 1)
      })
      break
    case 189: // -
      })
      break
    default:
      break
  }
}

The hotkey used above are "+" and "-" keys, you can change them to anything you want.

Am I missing something as the browser already has this option in the gear menu.  Or this about hotkeys?

image.thumb.png.d7eee1cfc606b300ec67e5b6c5b868ed.png

reptarsrage

@Happy2Play Yeah it's nice when there's just a button you can press instead of having to open the menu and navigate to speed, especially if you're like me and constantly change the speed to skip past anime filler content :)

5 minutes ago, reptarsrage said:

@Happy2Play Yeah it's nice when there's just a button you can press instead of having to open the menu and navigate to speed, especially if you're like me and constantly change the speed to skip past anime filler content :)

I have the same situation 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
itschrisonline

There is another option I would like to see in relation to speed is to set a default speed so you dont have to keep changing it back

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
negativzeroe
On 9/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Luke said:

HI, yes more options are certainly possible. thanks for the feedback.

Adding another interest to above 2x speed.

• Like 1

miniliQuid
On 10/22/2021 at 12:22 AM, itschrisonline said:

There is another option I would like to see in relation to speed is to set a default speed so you dont have to keep changing it back

This preferably, or as well as subtitles and audio, it would be nice if it is remembered for the rest of that show/series or movie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
oled4k
On 07/04/2021 at 18:07, Luke said:

Hi, yes we are working on getting it into all Emby apps. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, was wondering if this is still in progress or if it's been added to LG TVs?

Cannot see it in settings on my LG.

Is this feature available on the Nvidia Shield?

50 minutes ago, oled4k said:

Hi, was wondering if this is still in progress or if it's been added to LG TVs?

Cannot see it in settings on my LG.

Is this feature available on the Nvidia Shield?

Sadly LG rejected our app when we included the playback speed option because they noticed loss of audio in some cases when playing at a faster speed. Funny thing is, it's their video player we're using, and their function to change the speed, and thus their problem to fix. So unfortunately our hands are a bit tied on that platform right now. It is in our android apps though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
MortigiTempo
On 5/8/2021 at 5:12 AM, ebr said:

For the vast majority of people, sending the raw bitstream of the audio to their outbound equipment is preferable to mixing it down to a lesser quality because they are  most interested in the highest quality audio.

Is there a better way to automate this process for the user? I recently updated my home theater a bit and added surround sound, and it's gotten me to think more about how this is implemented. Would it be possible to have playback speed enabled for every file, and when necessary down mixed to stereo? In these cases, a simple pop-up message could let the user know that the audio quality is being (or may be) impacted by the faster speed. In theory, the person looking to speed up playback could find the option and then if the sound is affected decide for themselves if the trade-off is worth it.

Before, I was happy to set Emby to stereo and forget about it. Now, I'm recognizing that a lot of the time I'm a part of this vast majority of people and I don't want stereo on by default. However, I also don't want to have to go into settings to downgrade the audio every time I want to increase playback speed. I'm especially worried how this will affect a household of users who aren't really comfortable going into settings at all. What's happening is that Emby is becoming the service for faster speed and terrible sound, while an alternative is being used for good sound and normal speed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MortigiTempo said:

Is there a better way to automate this process for the user? I recently updated my home theater a bit and added surround sound, and it's gotten me to think more about how this is implemented. Would it be possible to have playback speed enabled for every file, and when necessary down mixed to stereo? In these cases, a simple pop-up message could let the user know that the audio quality is being (or may be) impacted by the faster speed. In theory, the person looking to speed up playback could find the option and then if the sound is affected decide for themselves if the trade-off is worth it.

Yes, that is possible for the future.

• Like 1

MAX92
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, that is possible for the future.

Hope it will be soon now @ebr. I've been praying for this for so long😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
tgurath

I appreciate that we have speed control. I mostly use the theater and browser interfaces. A few improvements I'd like to see:

1. A speed level between 1x and 1.25x, such as 1.10x. My reason for this is that for the most part the viewer wouldn't perceive the difference while saving 12 minutes per 2-hour movie or 4.2 minutes per typical TV episode. That's 7 hours saved for a series of 100 episodes without the viewing experience being impacted. 1.25x is usable but, in many cases, not on the edge of imperceptible. If you don't like breaking the symmetry in your list of .25 increments, a way to enter a custom speed would also be acceptable, especially if this becomes a global setting as others have mentioned.

2. Make the speed setting sticky, at least through the content that will play without any user intervention. Currently, if I allow Emby to automatically play subsequent episodes in a TV show or items in a playlist or use Play From Here in a folder the player drops back to 1x at the start of each video.

Making the speed increase/decrease not two mouse clicks (or finger taps) would be nice but if I didn't have to change the speed at the beginning of every video this would have a lot less value. For web and theater, adding hotkeys to control speed would be nice, preferably with configurable key mapping.

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 7:49 AM, tgurath said:

I appreciate that we have speed control. I mostly use the theater and browser interfaces. A few improvements I'd like to see:

1. A speed level between 1x and 1.25x, such as 1.10x. My reason for this is that for the most part the viewer wouldn't perceive the difference while saving 12 minutes per 2-hour movie or 4.2 minutes per typical TV episode. That's 7 hours saved for a series of 100 episodes without the viewing experience being impacted. 1.25x is usable but, in many cases, not on the edge of imperceptible. If you don't like breaking the symmetry in your list of .25 increments, a way to enter a custom speed would also be acceptable, especially if this becomes a global setting as others have mentioned.

2. Make the speed setting sticky, at least through the content that will play without any user intervention. Currently, if I allow Emby to automatically play subsequent episodes in a TV show or items in a playlist or use Play From Here in a folder the player drops back to 1x at the start of each video.

Making the speed increase/decrease not two mouse clicks (or finger taps) would be nice but if I didn't have to change the speed at the beginning of every video this would have a lot less value. For web and theater, adding hotkeys to control speed would be nice, preferably with configurable key mapping.

Hi, yes, more control is certainly possible in future updates. Thanks.

tgurath

After using the TamperMonkey script posted above I found I do use 1.1x for normal watching and will continue to use that.

I also found it useful to have speeds all the way up to 8x for blowing through scenes I don't care to watch without having to jump around to find where they end.

I didn't see how to maintain the playback speed on subsequent videos the "right" way but I was able to add a timer which sends the last playback speed set by these hotkeys to the player every three seconds and persists from video to video, including if you go back to a list and play something else. I also switched the keys to . and , (period and comma) (like YouTube but without shift) because + (used in the original script) skips to the next video in the web player.

const playbackRates = [0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2, 3, 4, 8]
let idx = 3
  switch (event.which) {
     case 190: // .
      idx = Math.min(idx + 1, playbackRates.length - 1)
      break
    case 188: // ,
      break
    default:
      break
  }
  setSpeed(playbackRates[idx])
  window.playbackSpeedIntervalId && window.clearInterval(window.playbackSpeedIntervalId)
  window.playbackSpeedIntervalId = window.setInterval(()=>setSpeed(playbackRates[idx]), 3000)
}

function setSpeed(speed) {
  try {
      if (playbackManager && playbackManager.getCurrentPlayer()) {
        console.log(`Setting playback speed to ${speed}`)
        playbackManager.setPlaybackRate(speed, playbackManager.getCurrentPlayer())
      }
    })
  } catch { }
}

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Do you know if this script can be used in windows theatre mode?

Intending to get a keyboard shortcut to adjust the playback speed!