ability to adjust playback speed

roberthleeii

21 hours ago, betobrandao said:

Hello,

Is there any plan to port this feature to LG WebOS application?

It would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, yes we are working on getting it into all Emby apps. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
MortigiTempo

I’m on an Android device (NVidia Shield) and it appears that after the recent app update the ability to adjust playback speed has been removed.

Was this intentional? Is it coming back? It’s 100% of the reason why I subscribed, so I’m really disappointed the feature has been taken away.

Edited by MortigiTempo

6 hours ago, MortigiTempo said:

it appears that after the recent app update the ability to adjust playback speed has been removed

Hi.  Why do you think it has been removed?

corvolio

I just tested it on my android device, its there and works. you just have to start playing something. hit the settings gear and there is a speed option.

Edited by corvolio

corvolio
9 hours ago, MortigiTempo said:

I’m on an Android device (NVidia Shield) and it appears that after the recent app update the ability to adjust playback speed has been removed.

Was this intentional? Is it coming back? It’s 100% of the reason why I subscribed, so I’m really disappointed the feature has been taken away.

I just tested it on my android device, its there and works. you just have to start playing something. hit the settings gear and there is a speed option.

MortigiTempo
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you think it has been removed?

The feature is missing now. I've been using it regularly, and yesterday it was gone. I tried six different videos (most of which I've used fast speed on before), the option to adjust the speed appeared on only 1 of the 6.

In the Google App store it shows that Emby for Android TV was updated recently. I'm not sure how to see the specific update information, but I can see a small blurb that says "What's new: Improved playback support Many improvements for the upcoming 4.6 server r..." and then it cuts off. Emby says it's version 2.0.09g.

It works fine on my iPhone.

2021-05-05_11-21-54_IMG_4599.JPG

Edited by MortigiTempo

Can you please show me the stats for nerds for that same playback?

Okay, that item is bitstreaming a compressed audio track (DD+) so speed changes are not possible when doing that (there is no way to adjust the speed of the audio).

I have discovered one issue where the app is too restrictive and also won't let you change speed when locally decoding an encoded track like that.  That issue will be corrected in the next release but won't help in this particular case.

MortigiTempo
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Okay, that item is bitstreaming a compressed audio track (DD+) so speed changes are not possible when doing that (there is no way to adjust the speed of the audio).

I have discovered one issue where the app is too restrictive and also won't let you change speed when locally decoding an encoded track like that.  That issue will be corrected in the next release but won't help in this particular case.

That seems to fit. The video that did let me change the speed has stereo AAC for the audio track and all the other videos that aren't working say DD+. I notice that the stats for nerds on my iPhone shows the same video with a 6 channel EAC3 audio track. I'm guessing that's why the speed controls still work on the iPhone. Is there a setting to have the Android TV app do the same thing?

I appreciate knowing the details behind why there's an issue, but I'm just trying to get things back to how they were a few days ago. Is there a setting a need to toggle to have it transcode audio from DD+ to stereo? Can I somehow roll back to the last working version? Like I mentioned above it is the sole reason why I bought a lifetime subscription. I'm super bummed to lose this feature.

If you care more about the speed control than the audio then you could tell your device to only accept stereo (through the advanced audio settings in the Android menu).

MortigiTempo
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you care more about the speed control than the audio then you could tell your device to only accept stereo (through the advanced audio settings in the Android menu).

I tried. The only option in the Advanced sound settings is to go into Available formats and disable everything. I did that, which did seem to get Emby to transcode the audio to stereo, but it didn't get the speed option to return. 

54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Could you clarify this?

Just to make sure this is clear, the specific video I've been troubleshooting with was working with speed playback days ago. It's not a new video. Same video. Same audio track. Emby was playing it at faster speeds without issue. I've been playing videos with these DD+ audio tracks for months at faster speeds without issue and the audio has been adjusted without any noticeable problems. Emby on my iPhone is still playing the video at faster speeds without issue, despite the video being DD+.

If I'm understanding you correctly and changing the speed of a video with a DD+ audio track is not possible. At the same time I've apparently been doing just that for months on an almost daily basis. I can currently do it on my iPhone. I'm just trying to figure out what changed and more importantly how can I make it work again.

8 minutes ago, MortigiTempo said:

If I'm understanding you correctly and changing the speed of a video with a DD+ audio track is not possible

The key is the speed cannot be changed when bitstreaming those formats.  This is because the audio is being delivered to an outboard device in a compressed format so the speed cannot be altered except by the device that is decoding that format.

Forcing the transcode to stereo should have allowed you to get the speed menu back.  Can you do that again and show me the stats for nerds?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

MortigiTempo
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

The key is the speed cannot be changed when bitstreaming those formats.  This is because the audio is being delivered to an outboard device in a compressed format so the speed cannot be altered except by the device that is decoding that format.

So does that mean I'm just out of luck going forward? I don't know why it started bitstreaming now, but I'd rather it stopped, and I could go back to watching my videos. 😁 Is there any chance the fix for the similar issue you mentioned above will end up helping? I just want it to go back to how it was. It was working so well.

Here's the stats for nerds screen. Don't worry too much on my behalf for this part though, I think I'm just going to switch to the iPad to use Emby during workouts and keep my sound for my other video apps.  Assuming that bitstreaming stuff doesn't come for iOS eventually too!

2021-05-05_13-22-00_IMG_4602.JPG

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MortigiTempo said:

So does that mean I'm just out of luck going forward?

Not if you had it working before.  In that case, I believe the next release (which you can have in beta as soon as this evening if you wish) should solve this for you.

• Thanks 2

MAX92
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Not if you had it working before.  In that case, I believe the next release (which you can have in beta as soon as this evening if you wish) should solve this for you.

I hope so too

MortigiTempo

That’s wonderful to hear!  Hope! 

How can I get in on the beta? I’m not too familiar with how it works on Android TV.

MortigiTempo

Thank you! I'm signed up. 🤞

Also thanks to ebr and everyone at Emby. I really appreciate all the responses here and how responsive you are in general to the community. You all are the best!

• Agree 2

MortigiTempo

Bummer. Just got the beta update that mentioned fixing the playback speed (2.0.11g) and it's still not working on my Nvidia Shield.

I did figure out a workaround of sorts. I added VLC as an external video player. VLC has a speed playback control and that works.

Don't mean to go off target but just wondering your use for the speed setting.  What kind of media do you find this useful for?
Just like to understand how people use things is all.

11 hours ago, MortigiTempo said:

Just got the beta update that mentioned fixing the playback speed (2.0.11g) and it's still not working on my Nvidia Shield.

Can you please start a new thread in the beta section with details?  Unless, the item you played was bitstreaming audio because, we cannot adjust the speed in that case so that is known.

MortigiTempo
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you please start a new thread in the beta section with details?  Unless, the item you played was bitstreaming audio because, we cannot adjust the speed in that case so that is known.

I can do that. The problem is the whole "bitstreaming audio" goes right over my head. I googled it and I think I grasp the basics, but I have no idea what it's doing. I can't say for certain it is bitstreaming the audio, but looking at the stats for nerds the files all show up as being Dobly+ (direct) and have roughly identical Playback Info as I posted above [excusing some differences in bitrate]. Since you told me in that case that playback info indicated it was bitstreaming the audio, I am assuming it is bitstreaming all of this audio as the info is the same. As I understand it, after an update a few days ago all of my DD+ files are now bitstreaming audio and under this situation Emby cannot adjust the speed and I shouldn't make a new thread because you already know about this, and it's impossible to fix. Is that correct?

I'm still a little confused because it seems like if bitstreaming is now a problem, and it wasn't a problem with these same files for months, then the problem seems to be that something changed in my Emby setup to start bitstreaming my files when it shouldn't. I didn't knowingly change anything in my settings (except my Shield automatically installing the last official Emby update). As the files still work on iOS and in VLC it seems like there is a solution.

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Don't mean to go off target but just wondering your use for the speed setting.  What kind of media do you find this useful for?

Sure! I use it most while working out while watching TV shows. I started using it after Tivo added it, and then I used an extension to do the same thing with Netflix. It's great because I'll usually exercise for an hour. At normal speed with a 45-minute TV show that means I'll be able to watch one episode and 15 minutes of the next one which either leaves a 30-minute chunk for the next day or I'll end up finishing it up later in the day. At faster speeds I can comfortably watch 2 full 45-minute episodes during that same hour (at 1.25 speed it's around 33 minutes, at 1.5 speed it's around 28 minutes per episode). At 1.25 speed I'll usually forget and not notice any difference after a minute or two. I also occasionally use it to get through shows that my partner and I want to finish up but are not that invested in. We frequently watch bad movies to go along a bad movies podcast and playing them at faster speeds can turn an awful 2 hours+ into a more enjoyable hour or so of content.

Edited by MortigiTempo
  • Like 1

miniliQuid
22 hours ago, cayars said:

Podcasts, slightly boring shows or dull movies, sometimes an audiobook, etc. :D

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MortigiTempo said:

it seems like if bitstreaming is now a problem, and it wasn't a problem with these same files for months,

Hi.  The difference is probably that they weren't bitstreaming with the previous version.  For the vast majority of people, sending the raw bitstream of the audio to their outbound equipment is preferable to mixing it down to a lesser quality because they are  most interested in the highest quality audio.  The speed function is not used in many situations with media that also has this type of audio.  So that is the change that is now causing you an issue I suspect.

What we may have to do is add back an option to force the system to mix down the audio for those that want that.

Thanks.