Transcoding Issue

sstt671

sstt671

Hello,

Whenever I try to play a video that needs to be transcoded , I get blank screen with circles or progress bar that won't complete (Roku 4) or app will close the playback.

QNAP TS-251+ (FW v 4.3.3)

QMono 4.8.1

Emby v 3.2.15

iOS - iphone 6s (iOS v10.3)

Andoid - Samsung S8 (Emby app v 2.8.97)

Roku 4 - Beta app and regular app both seems to have the same problem.

Logs are attached.

Let me know if you need more information.

server-63630177405.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-eebaedc5-9ad2-4869-9c2b-97345f959759.txt

Hi, can you try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that makes a difference? thanks !

sstt671

Hi, can you try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that makes a difference? thanks !

Yes, I figured it out while I was playing around things I changed. 

Problem was related to hardware transcoding, however more so because I was pointing to ffmpeg that I had installed (v3.3). when I switched back to emby default path for ffmpeg, it worked!

Now the question is, regardless of I pick Intel Sync or VA API , CPU load goes to 99% when video needs transcoding for video and audio both. Any help there? Plus, what is the best way to use ffmpeg v3.3 (and do I really need it?)? 

Sorry lot of questions.

Thank you.

sstt671

Let's run some tests, Things that will remain same or I won't change are (during testing):

TS-251+

Firmware v 4.3.3

QMono 4.8.1

Emby 3.2.16

Let's encrypt SSL with password

Android app v2.8.98

Case-1 setup: [see log during Time period from 2:50pm to 3:00pm, 05/15/2017]

custom ffmpeg v3.3.0 selected  [https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=127583 ]

hardware acceleration = VA API

-> I cannot play the video on my android app. Log says no VAAPI device found.

Case-2 setup: [see log during Time period from 2:08pm to 3:15pm, 05/15/2017]

Default emby ffmpeg install

hardware acceleration = VA API

-> can play video with transcoding, but CPU load at 97-99%. Does that mean no effective hardware transcoding?

I have observed also that - If I use Qffmpeg version 3.3 then Intel Sync works but again, CPU load is 95%+

Questions,

(1) How to enable trancoding so that CPU load is reduced, with default emby installed ffmpeg ?

(2) Can I effectively use ffmpeg v3.3 and still get reduced server load ?

ffmpeg-transcode-ffmpeg of Emby-VAAPI.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ffmpeg3_3-VAAPI.txt

Server Log.txt

Server Log_Case2.txt

Video Properties.txt

Hi, you truncated the server log but it would appear in case #2 that the ffmpeg build does not support VA API.

sstt671

Hi, you truncated the server log but it would appear in case #2 that the ffmpeg build does not support VA API.

Case#2 is with default settings. ffmpeg used in it points to ffmpeg that comes with Emby's qnap install. 

Case#1 is with using ffmpeg v3.3 that I installed separately, which supports VA API...but then I get error when I use this ffmpeg.