Invalid SMB paths

charlottetown
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

charlottetown

Using Kodi 17.1 with the latest Emby plugin from the stable repository.

I set up the server (v3.2.15.0) on a Windows PC that acts as a media server. I created a "TV Shows" library and added 3 folders. I chose the local path of my folders, and added a network path for each. For example, "I:\Series" was the local path for a folder, and "\\192.168.10.160\Videos2\Series\" was the network path I entered.

I installed a fresh copy of Kodi 17.1, then installed Emby, went through the standard setup, chose native paths, disabled music library, entered my network credentials for 192.168.10.160 and let Emby scan my library. When it was done, I could see all my library in the "TV Shows" section of Kodi, but nothing would play. After some investigating, I found that the paths were all messed up. Here is one example : "smb://192.168.10.160/videos3/seriessmb://Black Mirror/S01/Black Mirror - 1x01 - The National Anthem.mkv".

From the looks of it, there is an extra "smb://" added before the path of the file relative to the base folder.

Is there something I overlooked, or not done correctly?

Thank you

edit: forgot to mention my Kodi install is on Mac OSX Sierra. I will ultimately run this setup on my Nvidia Shield but I'm testing it first on this machine.

edit2: the files play correctly through the web player

Edited by charlottetown

Angelblue05

You are using direct paths. If you change the structure of your paths, you need to reset your local database in Kodi and let your content resync. That's probably your issue here.

Launch Emby for Kodi > reset local database.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlottetown

@@Angelblue05 I just tried what you suggested. It removed everything, I restarted Kodi, it synced everything but still gave me the popup warning me that my files did not exist (because of the path issue). I told it to keep scanning, it finished, but I still had nothing in my TV Shows. I had to go to Emby for Kodi and do a manual sync. Then everything was there. The paths are still messed up though.

@@Luke I didn't see any place where it seemed appropriate to enter smb://, so it doesn't come from something I typed :/

• Solution
Angelblue05

Ok, thanks. You'll need to redo another reset once we figure out the root of your issue. Sorry :(

Do you have any path substitutions leftover in Kodi? Check your advanced settings.xml file in the userdata folder.

We only substitute \\\\ for smb:// in the addon (which only happens if you have your path substitution in emby like \\Server\videos2). So the result is as if your path was like this: \\Server\videos2\Series\\ <--. Can you tell me how your paths look in the metadata manager, webclient > metadata manager > go to a title you tested.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

charlottetown

Here is the path to the episode I mentioned as an example, as seen in the "Edit info" screen : \\192.168.10.160\Videos3\Series\\Black Mirror\S01\Black Mirror - 1x01 - The National Anthem.mkv.

Indeed, you are right, there are two backslashes between Series and Black Mirror. Could it be that when I entered the network path I should not have included a trailing backslash at the end?

I'm going to try without it and I will let you know, actually.

Thanks!

• Like 1

charlottetown

Yup, that was the issue! In short : there must be no trailing slashes after the network path. Then everything works as expected!

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Is there a way we could make the end result of the path substitution more obvious to people, in the same window where the network path is entered? Or just assume if the local path has no trailing slash, then automatically remove trailing slash from the network path? This is not the first time it's happened.

Edited by Angelblue05