OT: Remote control for two Media Center PC's in the same room

AdrianW

AdrianW

Background

I'm considering a new Intel NUC to install MBS and MBC (and eventually MBT) all on windows 8.1. The new NUCs come with a built in IR receiver which apparently works with a Microsoft Media Center remote.

My current HTPC is running Win 7 with Media Center and MB2 and I have an original microsoft IR receiver. I use a Harmony One remote.

I'd like to keep both PCs in the same room, using the old Media Center just for live TV recording and using the new NUC for everything else.

Question

Is it possible to control two separate HTPCs with the same remote? I think I'd need to tell one of the PCs to use a different set of IR codes or something. 

So, is it possible to uniquely address each PC with the same remote?

trusselo

depending on the IR hardware/software you are running, you may be able to setup separate codes for each machine, then on your remote, have them as different devices...

or... there is other methods... such as android (winphone) network remote apps.  Unified Remote is doing well for me, letting me control any of my PCs from my phone, from any room in the house.. http://www.unifiedremote.com/

Edited by trusselo

AdrianW

I'm just using with Windows built-in IR software on my current HTPC, and I was hoping to do the same on the NUC when I get it.

Maybe I'll just need to retire my existing Media Center PC.

As long as the it sensors are not in the same field of view of the remote infrared stream you should be fine.

I can't quite think of Ny other way of doing it. From my experience with it repeaters and sensors they pick up any it signal that passes their field view.

The remote control HEX code for the particular button your are pressing is what is picked up by the sensor and then in most cases is what is then converted to mce/windows "Hwnd" messages to control the interface.

The HEX code wouldn't change from your remote, so as long as the sensor sees it it will convert the HEX to its windows equivalent command.

Does that make sense??

To change infrared commands easily trying using

Intelliremote software. If you would like to pm me about said software things can be arranged.

Hope this helps.

Spelling mistakes curtesy of my iPhobe 4s

Edited by chef

AdrianW

Thanks for that @@chef

Intelliremote sounds like it might do the trick - I guess I could use a different remote profile with it, and then program my Harmony to send that particular remote's codes. And leave my original HTPC using the standard microsoft codes.

I don't have the NUC yet, but I'm expecting to go ahead with one within a month.

AdrianW

I found this interesting blog post that details many useful registry settings that can be tweaked for Media Center.

The section "Set Remote Control ID" looks like it will enable exactly what I want (i.e. to be able to use my Harmony for two different Media Centers in the same room).

I have an original MS remote, and pressing the DVD Menu button along with a digit does exactly what it mentions in the post. I selected "5" and then the remote would no longer control my HTPC (although the IR receiver was still detecting the signal as it flashed every time I press a button).

So, when I get my new HTPC, I'll set the MS remote to a different ID, I'll probably then need to get my Harmony to learn the codes from the MS remote. I'm pretty confident this will work.

Edited by AdrianW

BTW, I am using a haswell NUC for MBT and it is fantastic. I'm using a Harmony remote, using the WMC profile and it works fine with the built in NUC IR.

Make sure you install the windows driver for the IR and everything should work out of the box.