Emby running extremely slow (DS1513+)

thebdizzle

thebdizzle

I've been trying to set up Emby and have been having a lot of issues. I've uninstalled and re-installed twice. This time I tried adding my libraries one at a time. Strangely with just movies and audiobooks in, it ran great. Added TV shows, and it takes on occasions over 5 minutes or sometimes not at all to load the library. I'm trying a metadata refresh to see if that helps, but am seeing a lot of errors in the log. Can anyone have a look and tell me if they understand what's happening?

Thanks, it looks like great software and I really want to replace my mysql database for kodi.

Log.txt

Hi, these particular errors have been resolved in release 3.2.15. As for slowness, we should probably re-evaluate that once the initial import is complete. thanks !

thebdizzle

Thanks @@Luke. The entire library is scanned in now, but it's still extremely slow. It can take up to 2 or 3 minutes for anything to show on the home page, and sometimes it won't ever show. Even once it has, once I then try go into one of the librarys (particularly TV Shows) it hangs again. I've also tried scanning into kodi with the plugin multiple times, but not everything ever makes it there. It's either half the movies, or half the TV shows, or all of the movies and none of the TV shows... Any ideas? I've attached a log just now, which is after a fresh restart me trying to open the home page.

Log.txt

thebdizzle

It's definitely the TV Shows it doesn't like. If I set latest media to only show movies and turn off everything else, my home page loads instantly now. Movies and audiobooks also load instantly. But when I go to TV shows, it takes a very long time to load still - Even if I bypass the 'Suggestions' or 'latest' tabs and go directly to shows...

Is this just because my library is quite large? Or is there something else causing this? I'm still having the kodi issues mentioned above as well.

Try removing the kodi sync plugin and see if that helps. Is the server installed onto an SSD or rotational drive?

thebdizzle

Hey @@Luke. Uninstalled the kodi plugin, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Server is installed on my synology Diskstation - No SSD, 5 HDD raid.

• 2 weeks later...
thebdizzle

Hey @@Luke. I'm still having a lot of problems with emby. I finally got the emby kodi connection working although it was a hard road. I had to reset the database and rescan about 4 times on each device as it kept missing a lot of content, which I thought was weird. Then it was finally working for a few days, and then from yesterday movies will no longer play but TV shows will. I have no idea why, as nothing has changed settings wise, except that I noticed it looked like the kodi addon may have autoupdated? Has anyone else reported anything breaking with the update or is it just me? I'm using the stable repo. Any ideas?

@thebsizzle have you considered trying Emby apps on your devices instead of the Emby for Kodi add-on? Emby apps don't require any syncing process which makes their usage quite a bit simpler. 

thebdizzle

@@Luke. I had a look at the app on the FireTV, but I've been using kodi for well over 10 years (since XBMC on the original Xbox), and I have it working great and my family used to it. Unfortunately at this stage I think my only option is to just use emby as a metadata editor, and continue to use mysql for my library. I just wish there was some reason I could see as to why it isn't working properly, as I know other people obviously have it working. But yesterday trying to play a movie would just lock the entire system up, across all 4 of my units. I've tried using both http and smb, and neither will work for movies now, but either option will work for TV shows, so I have no idea what is going on. I guess I could try resetting the database again, but that takes about 15 hours on each device.