Recently Added Unplayed takes forever or doesn't load for some collections.

amack

amack

This is on Windows 7 and whatever is the most current server version and client version and I use the default blue theme with no plugins. The server runs on a separate box than the clients.  All the clients are on the same network link as the server.  I have tested this with a newly created account and have the same issues. Over the last several versions the problem remains.

When i open Emby (from WMC) the EHS screen is empty.  I have it set to "Recently Added Unplayed".  I have four collections "All Movies" "All TV" are the two that have slow or no load issues.  Since alphabetically "All Movies" is listed first it tries to load the movies that are "Recently Added Unplayed".  This takes 5 to 10 seconds then after they show up I arrow over to "All Tv" and it is still blank and may stay blank for 30 seconds or it may not load until I drop out of Emby and go back in.  At that point they load in 5 to 10 seconds.

Sometimes after I watch one of the episodes listed in the EHS it drops me back to a blank EHS even though it just worked 30 minutes ago and may or may not load the list it had shown before.  

On occasion when I select one of the collections nothing is listed, just blank, until I go out of Emby and back in.  If there are log files that need to be seen please tell me their locations and I'll get them.  Do they get attached to a post, copied and pasted, or linked to a external site?

Hi.  What is the "default blue theme"?

The default for EMC is Chocolate.  If you are using the old legacy theme, can you please test with Chocolate and see if it is still an issue?

amack

I didn't know Chocolate was the default, I've always used Classic.  Chocolate seemed promising it loaded the Recently Added Unplayed quickly usually under 10 seconds for both TV and Movies.  But the classic theme would do the same as well when it worked.  Watched a tv show with the chocolate theme enabled, when I went back the EHS screen was empty.  Went all the way out of emby to WMC, then back to the Emby EHS screen, movies and TV loaded in under 10 seconds.  Watched a tv show, EHS was populated, but if I go into All Movies or All TV its blank, no movies or TV series are listed.  I have to exit out of emby and go back in and usually it works as advertised for an episode or two then the process repeats.

I would make sure you have the latest version of the server and EMC and, if the problems persist, please post the EMC log after they occur.  Instructions here: How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

Can you provide the server log as well? How does the web app perform? thanks.

Here is why things are not showing up.  The server log may provide a few more clues.

2017-05-10 18:21:25.8946,Error,,Error getting response from http://192.168.1.213:8096/emby/Users/3a8ccfe6-b00f-449d-a34e-f324acc5e6a0/Items?ParentId=90ed3ec6e2166c50c5bca78056ff9de1&sortBy=&CollapseBoxSetItems=True&fields=Overview,,Path,,ParentId,,DisplayPreferencesId,,DateCreated,,DateLastMediaAdded,,Metascore,,MediaStreams,,SortName,,Taglines,,MediaSources,,SpecialEpisodeNumbers&ImageTypes=&recursive=False&genres=&Ids=&studioIds=&ExcludeItemTypes=&IncludeItemTypes=&ExcludeLocationTypes=&personIds=&personTypes=&artistIds=&years=&format=Json ( Exception.  Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=The operation has timed out Src=System Method=GetResponse Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.MbHttpClient.Get(String url) ),29,Worker thread for Common
2017-05-10 18:21:26.7746,Error,,Error getting response from http://192.168.1.213:8096/emby/Users/3a8ccfe6-b00f-449d-a34e-f324acc5e6a0/Items?ParentId=b303e108a6d93411f4cacbad0e81059e&sortBy=&CollapseBoxSetItems=True&fields=Overview,,Path,,ParentId,,DisplayPreferencesId,,DateCreated,,DateLastMediaAdded,,Metascore,,MediaStreams,,SortName,,Taglines,,MediaSources,,SpecialEpisodeNumbers&ImageTypes=&recursive=False&genres=&Ids=&studioIds=&ExcludeItemTypes=&IncludeItemTypes=&ExcludeLocationTypes=&personIds=&personTypes=&artistIds=&years=&format=Json ( Exception.  Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=The operation has timed out Src=System Method=GetResponse Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.MbHttpClient.Get(String url) ),33,Worker thread for Common

amack

Here is the server log from what should be the same time period.

edit:  Browsing TV or Movies from a web page works fine no delays.  Is the "Up Next" section like "Recently added Unplayed"?  If so it loads with no issues either.

server-63629971260.txt

Edited by elhuevon

amack

What does "error getting response from.." in the client logs?  Server delay?  Did the server logs provide anymore clues?

It means it took too long for the server to respond.

If your installation is quite old, it might help to start fresh with a new install.  Some database changes have been made in the server that reduce db size and improve performance of things like this.

You could use the configuration backup plug-in to restore most of your configuration but take a plain backup just in case :).

amack

The install date on this server is 9-2016.  Is 8 months old in EMBY standards?  One thing I've never been clear on is the data locations.  I've always assumed that Emby needs unc paths "\\server\movies".  Is that correct?

Another question I'm still trying to get used to the chocolate theme.  I selected blue under theme but its still black.

I was going to try the backup and restore plugin but I guess I already tried it once.  I'm not quite financially ready to be a supporter (though it is on the list this year),  how can I do a manual backup of the server settings?

amack

Am I correct about the UNC path question though? Also about the chocolate theme color is black the only option?

The manual instructions are meant from going from an old computer to a new one.  Since this is the same machine would I back up the folders, uninstall the server, and deleted the backed up folders?  Or copy the backed up data over the top?

I do believe that Chocolate is just the one color.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Emby needs UNC paths".  You can define your library on the server using local paths but to get proper playback from apps like EMC, you need to be sure the machine running EMC can see those locations.  So, if they were on the same machine, then you would not need to use network paths.  However, if not, then you will need to either define the library with network paths or use the network path field that is right under where you define them.

Does that answer your question?

amack

That answers the question.  Thanks for all the help.  Should I report back here if the server reinstall helps?   If it doesn't do I open a new topic or the issue something unique to my network?

• 4 weeks later...
amack

Sorry for the delay. Deleted and reinstalled the server. Worked great for an hour. In the ehs unplayed both TV and movies loaded fast. Collections were populated when clicked on. Even after watching a few shows the ehs worked.

Then I went out of emby to wmc. Went back to emby and that was the end of perfection. The delayed loading or never loading was back. As were blank collections.

Ideas? The waf is low right now.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this issue.  

The two libraries that load slow are very large.  Once consists of 3 folders and the other 2 folders. When I broke the libraries up by only having folder per library the load times for "Unplayed recent" are tolerable and I'm getting "No items found" when I select the library in WMC.

As a matter of information my libraries organized by rating:

TV-MA 198 series
TV-Y 109 series
Total series 307

Movies are in collection folders so the number of actual movies is higher.  I didn't see away to see total amount of movies per library
Movies-G 423
Movies-PG13 64
Movies-R  626

Total folders (not movies) 1113

I have to assume Emby can handle much larger collections.  So is my issue the way I'm organizing the collection?  Or is there a network issue I need to look further into?

The issue is that Emby for WMC is essentially Media Browser 2 and back in the day it was designed to always have every bit of information readily available. As a result, it requests a lot of data from the server. Newer Emby apps are built differently and that is why they are significantly faster. Have you checked out Emby Theater? It is our new app designed to fully replace Windows Media Center. You can learn more here:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

If you're set on using Emby for WMC, then i would probably suggest splitting those two libraries up into smaller pieces. For example, instead of one TV library with three folders, you could do three TV libraries with one folder each. That will help limit the amount of data that Emby for WMC is pulling down from the server at any one given moment.

I mentioned when splitting up the libraries the response time improved. 

Last time I tried Emby theater there was no remote control support, it was a desktop app to be used with keyboard or mouse.  Has that changed?  Can I keep using my MCE remote?  Will the green button activate Emby theater instead of MCE? I see you need to pay for premiere for theater.  Is there still a separate cost for the dvr ota guide data?

My main reasons for emby for mce are price, remote control support, and to record ota shows for the wife I can't download or stream (the list is getting smaller but she still needs "her stories")

As an aside this whole issue has only been an issue for the last 6 to 8 months.  I used to have a lot more media but still just the two libraries.  There used to be no delays and "no items found"  then after a emby server upgrade that's where the problem started and each version got a little worse with the delay.

Emby is still the best, its the little things keep me scratchin my head.

Emby Theater should work fine with your WMC remote.  The "Green Button" is kind of hardwired by Microsoft but some Googling may produce a way for you to re-wire it.