Live TV initial pause, pixelation, and long pauses

FordGT90Concept

Seems like at the time we get playback info on the stream, we don't know that it is interlaced.

bdreams

Just want to if all these guys having the problem are premier members had the same issue once purchased my membership no more problem with pixelation and pausing.

mwongjay

Just want to if all these guys having the problem are premier members had the same issue once purchased my membership no more problem with pixelation and pausing.

You will still have these same issues regardless if you're a premiere member or not. That being said though, it may also depend on your hardware.

Edited by mwongjay

mwongjay

Seems like at the time we get playback info on the stream, we don't know that it is interlaced.

Earlier in this topic I mentioned that prior to v3.2 Emby was deinterlacing without issue. I thought about downloading each release in v3.2 to see what commit caused Emby to stop deinterlacing, but have not had time. 

bdreams

Ok just resolve my issue where that was concern still new to emby so I am still learning to use this great software and getting where I have no issues.

• 3 weeks later...
mwongjay

Emby Server: v3.2.26.2 beta

Any update on when you guys will have a chance to fix the deinterlacing issue? On the latest beta and live tv is still not being deinterlaced.

mwongjay

I've run some tests.

ATV watching HGTV (direct stream), stream is interlaced, yadif is not present in the transcoding log.

Chrome browser watching HGTV (direct stream), stream is deinterlaced, yadif is not present in the transcoding log.

iOS v1.4.1 (6), watching HGTV (direct stream), stream is deinterlaced, yadif is not present in the transcoding log.

mwongjay

With what version of the app did you run those tests?

1.4.31a is the current version, not sure if it was updated in the past 48 hours. It would appear that the stream is being deinterlaced with 1.4.31a. I'll report back if I notice this being an issue again.

Edited by mwongjay

FordGT90Concept

I haven't noticed any problems with deinterlacing lately but I have noticed some problems:

1) Audio/video sync problems in Live TV.  I think video is ahead of audio.  My guess is it is several seconds off.  I think it gets worse with time.

2) When there is an active recording going and you're trying to watch it as it is recording.  Jump forward is utterly broken.  I hit jump forward a bunch of times, the bar shows it is going to progress but when the video resumes, the bar jumps back to pretty much where you started.  I can see that the recording is several minutes beyond where I tried to jump to as well.

mwongjay

I haven't noticed any problems with deinterlacing lately but I have noticed some problems:

1) Audio/video sync problems in Live TV.  I think video is ahead of audio.  My guess is it is several seconds off.  I think it gets worse with time.

2) When there is an active recording going and you're trying to watch it as it is recording.  Jump forward is utterly broken.  I hit jump forward a bunch of times, the bar shows it is going to progress but when the video resumes, the bar jumps back to pretty much where you started.  I can see that the recording is several minutes beyond where I tried to jump to as well.

The interlacing issue was visible last night when we were watching a show. However, when I got home from work and was watching stuff it seemed to have been resolved. I also experience the 2nd issue with jump forward.

Yea in those logs earlier ffmpeg was just not detecting your stream as interlaced and that's why we didn't add ffprobe. I suppose worst case scenario we can add an option to assume it is always interlaced although I'd prefer not to do that.

maegibbons

Yes. I see this too.   To jump forward you have to hit button... wait.... hit button ... wait.... etc.  If you hit FF button multiple times. Whilst the time index goes up when you stop it only does one 30 sec skip.

Krs

Mark

mwongjay

Yea in those logs earlier ffmpeg was just not detecting your stream as interlaced and that's why we didn't add ffprobe. I suppose worst case scenario we can add an option to assume it is always interlaced although I'd prefer not to do that.

Yeah, I agree. For the majority of users auto-detection should be default. However, in situations like mine where a majority of streams are interlaced it would be nice to be able to override auto-detection. It is frustrating watching interlaced video. A solution might be adding a toggle for a specific channel in Live Tv > Guide Providers > Schedules Direct > Map Channels > "Force FFProbe" or "Force Deinterlace" and change Map Channels to Configure Channels. The benefit of placing within this area is only users with tuners would actually see it, each channel is already listed so adding a toggle shouldn't be too much effort, and it can be applied only when necessary.

Edited by mwongjay

FordGT90Concept

Pausing live TV for a bit seems to fix the sync problem for a while.  The longer it plays (live or trickplayed) the worse it seems to get.  Only affects Live TV.

• 4 weeks later...
mwongjay

Pausing live TV for a bit seems to fix the sync problem for a while.  The longer it plays (live or trickplayed) the worse it seems to get.  Only affects Live TV.

I've randomly seen this as well. I'm also still having issues with interlaced video not being deinterlaced.

FordGT90Concept

I'm still seeing the sync issues but not interlaced. Likely because my source is HDHomeRun EXTENDs.

I've randomly seen this as well. I'm also still having issues with interlaced video not being deinterlaced.

@@mwongjay, where is your issue report topic about this? Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
FordGT90Concept

Still an issue...actually worse.  4.1 KTIV News at 5 (5:00 to 5:30 local time), it couldn't go more than a few minutes without interruptions.  HDHomeRun app worked without any interruptions.

logs.zip

Still an issue...actually worse.  4.1 KTIV News at 5 (5:00 to 5:30 local time), it couldn't go more than a few minutes without interruptions.  HDHomeRun app worked without any interruptions.

The transcoding speed is falling below 1.0x - thus the fits and starts.  The question is, why?  Is it due to actual slow transcoding (I don't think so since this should be a light transcode) or some other bottleneck somewhere.

If you pause for a bit and then watch it out of the buffer, does it play smoothly?

FordGT90Concept

Add some more information to the above...

So apparently something happened after the performance issues because the next day, Emby Server wasn't responding at all to Live TV requests and required manually restarting it.  Whatever caused the performance issues was likely associated with whatever caused the unresponsiveness later.

It still hasn't occured and this is several builds later so...maybe fixed?  Anyway, just wanted to add that note for posterity in case it happens again.