Live TV initial pause, pixelation, and long pauses

FordGT90Concept

Can we please see an ffmpeg and server log from playing one of these that you feel is incorrect?  Thanks.

mwongjay

Can we please see an ffmpeg and server log from playing one of these that you feel is incorrect?  Thanks.

See this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/47389-live-tv-initial-pause-pixelation-and-long-pauses/?p=457306

There are 2 transcode logs. transcode-log.txt does not deinterlace, transcode-log-working.txt is deinterlacing

FordGT90Concept

Live TV broke again.  Submitted logs from Lauren on the device (latest beta).  He was basically trying to channel surf and then all requests for Live TV just dump back at the previous screen.  Web access can't tune at all.

Tried to restart server (3.2.20.3). It froze.  Tried again from the shortcut, same result.  Tried to downgrade to 3.2.20.0, setup threw an exception.  Emby Server is FUBAR

Edit: Submitted logs from the device under local user Lauren at the time.  Forgot to mention that.

I fixed this by deleting Emby-server\system folder and running Setup again.

So it sounds like you basically just reinstalled the server. What model HDHR do you have?

FordGT90Concept

Three EXTENDs (HDTC-2US, 192.168.0.159, 192.168.0.160, and 192.168.0.161) set to MPEG4 heavy profile right now.

I tried to run setup and it would hang. I tried to run Emby Server and it would also hang.  The logs appeared to say something about a port already being in use.  I manually killed the ffprobe process (I think it is, same directory as ffmpeg) before running setup again.  Dunno if that's what inadvertently fixed it or not.

I should note that subchannels seem to be skippy.  It's not terrible but would be nice if it were fixed.  That said, I'm observing this on a Leelbox.  I haven't checked it on the Shield TV to see if the Leelbox is just not adequately powerful enough for it.

Edited by FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

Latest beta: 20170512beta1

Silicon Dust forbids downgrading.

mwongjay

See this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/47389-live-tv-initial-pause-pixelation-and-long-pauses/?p=457306

There are 2 transcode logs. transcode-log.txt does not deinterlace, transcode-log-working.txt is deinterlacing

Were those logs useful or do you want me to get new logs?

I cannot see why they would be different so, perhaps if you can recreate the situation where it doesn't deinterlace and then post the server and ffmpeg log that would be helpful.  Thanks.

FordGT90Concept

For giggles, I tried Live TV on my computer via Microsoft Edge browser.  In the order of what I tried and what was observed:

1) 44.3 fails to tune.  I didn't wait for it to time out.  I just backed out and moved on.

2) 44.1 works fantastic.

3) 44.2 works but is clearly interlaced.

4) 44.3 works this time but is clearly interlaced.

5) 44.1 works fantastic. Was double checking it's deinterlaced and it is.

I think this is likely the scenario on all ATSC channels.  Primary gets 720p/1080i while subchannels are almost exclusively 480i.  Cable (what mwongjay is dealing with) is far more spotty on interlacing.

Logs attached.  End of logs is when I did this testing.

What I was talking about before on the Leelbox was 44.3.  The jumps appear to not be server/HDHomeRuns.

logs.zip

Try deleting this folder, then restart the server

C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20160410

This will cause Emby to re-download ffmpeg, and it will obtain a newer version. With the newer version it will be able to detect that the stream is interlaced, and that will cause the server to fully transcode all of the examples you just provided. (They are currently stream copied as is, because it doesn't know they are interlaced).

mwongjay

Try deleting this folder, then restart the server

C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20160410

This will cause Emby to re-download ffmpeg, and it will obtain a newer version. With the newer version it will be able to detect that the stream is interlaced, and that will cause the server to fully transcode all of the examples you just provided. (They are currently stream copied as is, because it doesn't know they are interlaced).

What "newer version" has this fix for deinterlacing? I use 20170308 and still have deinterlacing issues.

Somewhere along the way between those two versions, ffprobe added a nice and easy property to indicate if something is interlaced, so that's why I suggest doing that.

FordGT90Concept

I noticed that I had a 2017 folder but it was empty.  Found that weird.  Anywho...updated to 2017 and updated server to .5...

Exact same outcome as before except #4, 44.3 isn't working at all.

logs.zip

It looks like there are some cases where it is still not detected as interlaced. we may have the analyzeduration a little too low so we're going to bump that up for the next release of the server.

mwongjay

It looks like there are some cases where it is still not detected as interlaced. we may have the analyzeduration a little too low so we're going to bump that up for the next release of the server.

It would be really awesome if the ability to increase/decrease the analyzeduration and/or a force deinterlace option exists somewhere on the server admin live tv settings or transcode settings. I could then test it myself and report back what value seems to be ideal.

Edited by mwongjay

• 2 weeks later...
mwongjay

@@Luke @@ebr There have been quite a few beta releases, but some channels are still not being deinterlaced. Any update on when that might be resolved? I would upload logs, but they're pretty much the same as the ones I've already uploaded related to this issue. The yadif flag is missing in the transcoding log.

@@Luke @@ebr There have been quite a few beta releases, but some channels are still not being deinterlaced. Any update on when that might be resolved? I would upload logs, but they're pretty much the same as the ones I've already uploaded related to this issue. The yadif flag is missing in the transcoding log.

Does the media info that shows in the transcoding log for the stream report that it is interlaced?

mwongjay

Does the media info that shows in the transcoding log for the stream report that it is interlaced?

Yes.

{"Protocol":"Http","Id":"ecd99ea32c164dcf8e20ae428f731469_native_a61b8213a0d19d6b7e594feb318d8026_9ce3323e3420db9e40d6f1d1f7f39a0b","Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/76650f6cf64c40dea7a51039506597eb/stream.ts","Type":"Default","Container":"mpegts","IsRemote":false,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"IgnoreDts":true,"IgnoreIndex":false,"GenPtsInput":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":false,"IsInfiniteStream":true,"RequiresOpening":true,"RequiresClosing":true,"SupportsProbing":true,"LiveStreamId":"a17c75760a04e99b68cf766e11316e1c_09efa0d56b934a82adec00a87b837fb0_ecd99ea32c164dcf8e20ae428f731469_native_a61b8213a0d19d6b7e594feb318d8026_9ce3323e3420db9e40d6f1d1f7f39a0b","BufferMs":0,"RequiresLooping":false,"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"mpeg2video","TimeBase":"1/90000","CodecTimeBase":"1001/30000","IsInterlaced":true,"BitRate":20000000,"RefFrames":1,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Height":1080,"Width":1920,"AverageFrameRate":29.97003,"RealFrameRate":29.97003,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":4,"IsAnamorphic":false},{"Codec":"ac3","Language":"eng","TimeBase":"1/90000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","DisplayTitle":"Eng Dolby Digital 5.1","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"5.1","BitRate":384000,"Channels":6,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},{"Codec":"ac3","Language":"spa","TimeBase":"1/90000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","DisplayTitle":"Spa Dolby Digital stereo","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","BitRate":192000,"Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":2,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":20576000,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"AnalyzeDurationMs":2000,"DefaultAudioStreamIndex":1}

/config/ffmpeg/20170308/ffmpeg -analyzeduration 2000000 -fflags +igndts -f mpegts -i "http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/76650f6cf64c40dea7a51039506597eb/stream.ts" -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 copy -flags -global_header -vsync cfr -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 128000  -f segment -max_delay 5000000 -avoid_negative_ts disabled -start_at_zero -segment_time 3  -individual_header_trailer 0 -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_entry_prefix "hls/8b457bb7d57677502f0e9b70ba6ff6a4/" -segment_list_type m3u8 -segment_start_number 0 -segment_list "/config/transcoding-temp/8b457bb7d57677502f0e9b70ba6ff6a4.m3u8" -y "/config/transcoding-temp/8b457bb7d57677502f0e9b70ba6ff6a4%d.ts"