Extremely slow web UI performance

Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

Server version 3.2.14.0

The web UI rendering is very, very slow.  It's taking 30-45 seconds to load the page when I click the Home icon for example.  Clicking Movies, which takes me to the all movies view, is around 15 seconds to render the single page of movie posters.  I have removed all plugins with no improvement.

This started a couple days ago.  I believe it was the same day I upgraded to 3.2.14.0 but I think I actually started seeing before the server was updated that day.

There haven't been any hardware or software changes on the server in this time frame, other than the emby update.  The emby server config has not been changed at all, other than enabling debug logging, but the library contents have been changing for weeks as I move files from the existing server to their new home on a synology nas, so the library scan and cleanup tasks have been run often in this time.

Debug server log from a restart through a few loads of the home page and movies UI attached.  It shows a ton of (slow) entries, unsurprisingly.

server debug log.txt

Edited by Deathsquirrel

bfir3

I'm noticing this on 3.2.13.0 as well. I haven't quite had up to 45 second delays, but easily 20+ second delays on several occasions.

Deathsquirrel

Any suggestions before I nuke this install and start over?  Those initial scans are slow enough I'd rather avoid them.

bfir3

Any suggestions before I nuke this install and start over?  Those initial scans are slow enough I'd rather avoid them.

I don't think a fresh install will help. My install is fresh from last Friday and I still have the issue.

Happy2Play

Sorry I haven't seen any difference in performance on stable or beta.  All pages respond within a second or two.

Newer installs will have smaller databases as that is the continuing trend, so yes, depending on how old your install is, you may see a difference.

Is Emby Server installed on an SSD or a rotational drive?

Deathsquirrel

Newer installs will have smaller databases as that is the continuing trend, so yes, depending on how old your install is, you may see a difference.

Is Emby Server installed on an SSD or a rotational drive?

SSD in my case.  Everything's been pretty speedy until a few days ago.

Deathsquirrel

Has your number of live tv channels increased lately?

Nope, not a live TV user.

well you have serverwmc installed so i would remove that, and any other plugins you are not using.

Deathsquirrel

well you have serverwmc installed so i would remove that, and any other plugins you are not using.

According to the server UI that was not installed.  I've installed it, restarted the server service using the UI, removed it, restarted again, and no change.  What I do see though is that I can't get rid of studio cleaner.  I uninstall it, the restart generally fails, and upon manual restart it's still shown as installed.  Perhaps I've just got some corruption that warrants a reinstall.

Deathsquirrel

Reinstall seems to have cleared it.  The initial scans will be quite a while but it's running darn fast at the moment.

kjp4756

I had the same problem with emby-server on linux.  Rather than wiping out the db and starting over I chose a different approach:

systemctl stop emby-server
sqlite3 /var/lib/emby-server/data/library.db "VACUUM"
sqlite3 /var/lib/emby-server/data/library.db "ANALYZE"

sqlite3 /var/lib/emby-server/data/library.db "REINDEX"
systemctl start emby-sever
  • Like 2

maximumentropy

I had the same problem with emby-server on linux.  Rather than wiping out the db and starting over I chose a different approach:

Thank you for posting this.  I adapted this for Windows (stopping and starting Emby manually, and adjusting the full path) and it seems to have helped with some ongoing performance problems I've been having on my system.

• 4 months later...

Worked for me too, on a Synology NAS.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

My installation is dysfunctionally slow so I tried the above steps and now the home page loads quickly but no UI buttons respond to any clicking - I can't get into settings etc.

How do I fix this? Tried restarting the service a few times. (Ubuntu 17.10)

Update: UI started responding again

Seeing a lot of this:

2017-11-03 13:09:15.942 Error App: Error in The Open Movie Database *** Error Report *** Version: 3.2.35.0 Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb Operating system: Unix 4.13.0.16 64-Bit OS: True 64-Bit Process: True User Interactive: True Processor count: 16 Program data path: /var/lib/emby Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to https://www.omdbapi.com?apikey=&i=&plot=short&tomatoes=true&r=json timed out ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled. at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult() at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<FinishSendAsyncBuffered>d__58.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__20.MoveNext() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__20.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__17.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<EnsureItemInfo>d__12.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<GetRootObject>d__8.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<Fetch>d__6`1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbItemProvider.<GetMovieResult>d__19`1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<ExecuteRemoteProviders>d__27.MoveNext() MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__20.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__17.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<EnsureItemInfo>d__12.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<GetRootObject>d__8.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbProvider.<Fetch>d__6`1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Omdb.OmdbItemProvider.<GetMovieResult>d__19`1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<ExecuteRemoteProviders>d__27.MoveNext() InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: A task was canceled. at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult() at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<FinishSendAsyncBuffered>d__58.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__20.MoveNext() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult() at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<FinishSendAsyncBuffered>d__58.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__20.MoveNext()

Edited by Xen0sys

@@Luke Sorry, I sent a PM. So far I haven't been able to get any library to load at all (even after like 10+ minutes).

I'm thinking it might be a library permissions issue but haven't been able to find the relevant guide. Plex could be configured to run as the user account to simplify this issue. Is this possible with emby?

Please update to the latest release of emby server, 3.2.36. 

Then, to improve the performance of your server, consider uninstalling the following plugins:

2017-11-03 14:08:05.214 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime, Version=1.2.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2017-11-03 14:08:05.214 Info App: Loading CoverArt, Version=4.0.56.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2017-11-03 14:08:05.214 Info App: Loading Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

@@Luke Thanks for the quick response. Either the CoverArt or Kodi Sync plugin were borking the system entirely.

I upgraded & removed all 3 plugins & restarted Emby.

What started working:

1. Can now see items on home page & view library folders

Here's what's still not working:

1. Cannot connect via https://localhost:8920

2. Cannot connect via Emby Connect Home Theater (http://tv.emby.media/)

3. Cannot connect via Android app (Emby Connect)

I can start a different thread for that though if it's not a quick fix.

I was able to access the system via https port when it was in a proxmox turnkey container. Seems maybe I need to set up my own SSL cert though for it to work?

When I try to connect by selecting the server or entering the IP I just get a "Connection Failed" & "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again".

Do I need external/remote access on 8096 for emby connect to work?

(Android app started working when adding IP manually but I had to delete the existing listed server first)

I was able to access the system via https port when it was in a proxmox turnkey container. Seems maybe I need to set up my own SSL cert though for it to work?

Yes.