sudden issues with x5 z8350 atom playback

Lee

Lee

i haven't touched mpc in a while but i recall it had a command line param to make it start on launch.

I still think there are issues with theater if mpc hc plays the files without issue.. Hopefully madvr coming back will help me out?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Lee

i haven't touched mpc in a while but i recall it had a command line param to make it start on launch.

Also, any idea why it is playing the previous file played when I select a new one? I'd rather not have to faff about with an external player tbh but it doesn't look like theater is improving any time soon for me...

It sounds to me like you just added mpc as an external player without researching mpc command line params. is that true?

Lee

It sounds to me like you just added mpc as an external player without researching mpc command line params. is that true?

yes, i was interested to see if playback would be any good on it. and as i said its perfect. dxva and lav filters.

obviously i don't want to jump through these hoops of buying new hardware or installing external players but for me at least now theater just doesn't work... where it did before

If you want to use mpc or any external player it will work just fine, but you need to research the required command line params for the particular external player you are using.

Lee

so i tried that with

/fullscreen 

/play

as cmd line arguments

that opened mpc hc not in full screen when i press play the desired video was available, i have alt&enter mapped for FS and alt f4 mapped to close it, so that isn't an issue.. i don't know how to get it to play the video i want though??? when i exit it takes me back to emby, if i select a different video it doesn't play it it just replays the last one?

hurry up and bring back madvr is all i've got to say this player and electron combination isn't working somehow and all the logs i've provided have lead nowhere.. 

if mpc hc plays the files perfectly there is clearly an issue with theater. MPV standalone playback is better than the one within theater but still not up to mpc hc standard.. which is perfect

You have a low end machine. There is no reason why madvr will outperform mpv. 

Lee

You have a low end machine. There is no reason why madvr will outperform mpv.

So do you care to explain why theater worked before the mpv implementation? And why mpc hc can playback hevc files perfectly? Clearly theater is somehow not activating the hw acceleration properly..

Also why is playback still terrible when I force 1080p 60mbps? The server should be encoding that and there is plenty of headroom on the core i5 desktop server

Lee

If you look at your theater mpv log, you'll be able to see if HWA is working.

I haven't looked at any of them, but clearly there is an issue with theater that wasn't there before the mpv transition...

Lee

So the roku 3 arrived, theater is getting abandoned.. Best £40 I ever spent. Works better than theater did on my i5 server tbh

clarkss12

So the roku 3 arrived, theater is getting abandoned.. Best £40 I ever spent. Works better than theater did on my i5 server tbh

In order to use your Roku, does everything have to be transcoded on the fly, for it to play it??

Jdiesel

In order to use your Roku, does everything have to be transcoded on the fly, for it to play it??

Roku's, especially the newest ones, do a pretty decent job direct playing most media. The latest version even support HEVC decoding. One area they struggle with is multichannel AAC audio but I believe the Roku Ultra is capable of at least decoding it now. Only major drawback that I see is they don't support HD audio formats. Have a look at the supported formats document I linked before if you want more information.  

https://github.com/rokudev/docs/blob/master/develop/specifications/audio-video-support.md

Lee

It doesn't seem to pass thru as dts ma.. But the sound quality was amazing compared to theater pass thru.. Couldn't quite figure that out. Mostly saying direct playback for me unless it's live TV then it's transcoded.. Need to check if hevc is direct playback, at any rate it's visually miles better than theater or web playback