sudden issues with x5 z8350 atom playback

Lee

Lee

Recently decided the server was getting too big and needed to go in the loft..

Bought a w10 atom device and have thus far been over the moon with it. Last night i went in to watch some tv and playback was stuttering all over. the video was HEVC/DTS-MA so i thought this might be the issue. Its set for direct playback as so far i've encountered no issues except downmix of audo on passthru.

so...

i tried to stream

went thru all the 1080p profiles no dice.

720p was ok with an occasional flicker.

i tried turning on intel quicksync.. see if that helped=no

turned on the openGL option =same

i tried playback thru the browser (edge) and it was far better?

no issues at all, although i couldn't see what rate it was streaming..

so this morning i further investigated.. an H264 video that played previously without issue is doing the same thing.

I've just done some driver updates but @@Luke what logs would you require to look at this? it's been a while since i had any issues so i'm unsure what to pull and from where...

Lee

@@Luke has the new player been implemented?

if so I think that's poor.. from what I've read in that link for testing it doesn't sound anywhere near ready

Lee

so i uninstalled theater and reinstalled it, this has worked in the past.

Not this time.

edge and chrome will play 1080p 60mbps no issues, theater will barely play 720p 4mbps without stutter.

@@Luke i'll pm you the logs from theater and the server for ffmpg..

My playback environment is completely broke, having to use mouse and web browsers is not ideal at all...

Lee

I've just found the thread with the old theater files, i'm going to go back to that for now... inevitably that will break at some point will it not @@Luke?

PrincessClevage

Recently decided the server was getting too big and needed to go in the loft..

Bought a w10 atom device and have thus far been over the moon with it. Last night i went in to watch some tv and playback was stuttering all over. the video was HEVC/DTS-MA so i thought this might be the issue. Its set for direct playback as so far i've encountered no issues except downmix of audo on passthru.

so...

i tried to stream

went thru all the 1080p profiles no dice.

720p was ok with an occasional flicker.

i tried turning on intel quicksync.. see if that helped=no

turned on the openGL option =same

i tried playback thru the browser (edge) and it was far better?

no issues at all, although i couldn't see what rate it was streaming..

so this morning i further investigated.. an H264 video that played previously without issue is doing the same thing.

I've just done some driver updates but @@Luke what logs would you require to look at this? it's been a while since i had any issues so i'm unsure what to pull and from where...

With the latest ET build I had to disable OpenGL, madvr motion and display sync then the media would play smooth otherwise it is all jerky
  • Like 1

@@Lee have you installed 2.6.7? Please try that. It is transcoding through the server, which we don't want, so we need to figure out why. thanks.

Guest asrequested

Just a quick note. The opengl-hq setting is only for strong/higher end hardware. If playback is stuttering without it, it will only make it worse.

• Like 1

Lee

thanks at @... tbh i was switching everything in an effort to make it better..

@@Luke i did switch from auto-direct playback in an effort to get a watchable stream, i do know the new media pc won't bitstream HD-MA DTS so downmixes to DTS could this be triggering it?

As i said before this wasn't an issue before tho direct playback was working fine..

Lee

just remoted into the server and installed latest theater its 2.6.8.

haven't set the media pc up for remoting in yet so will give that a bash later and set defaults for playback...

Lee

@@Luke Direct playback still won't work - stutters badly

however i was able to playback 1080p at 20mbps which is a significant improvement (edge/chrome does 60mbps without issues)

I've pm'd u my server logs from some attempts last night.. let me know if the teater logs are required.

it looks like these files are hevc and not every machine will be able to handle that. what are your settings in emby theater?

Lee

Removed all traces and reinstalled left at default.. Surely it should manage to playback 1080p 60mbps if edge and chrome do on the same machine?

blade005

Removed all traces and reinstalled left at default.. Surely it should manage to playback 1080p 60mbps if edge and chrome do on the same machine?

@@Lee

I have a Minix Z83-4 with Win10 and an Intel Atom x5-8300 CPU @1.44GHz processor.

Had the same issue when Emby Theater transitioned to MPV player. Files such as TS recorded TV, HEVC files and even H264 media were stuttering in Emby Theater but would play fine in Emby WebUI with Edge or Chrome or outside of Emby ecosystem with MPC player on the Minix Atom Processor box noted above.

The Video settings below In ET have produced a pretty reasonable playback experience without the stuttering issue for this Atom processor box.

5914b34d2cef3_Clipboard13.jpg

HWA at NO or AUTO-Copy Back stuttered, but AUTO seems to work.

ENABLE DEINTERLACING at NO produces a pretty unwatchable experience with Live TV or Recorded TV. YES produced the best picture, but created stuttering again. AUTO seems to produce a pretty decent picture for Live TV and Recorded TV and also removed stuttering issue.

Settings above also removed stuttering in HEVC files and H264 media.

I don't know if your media specs are vastly different or how much difference there is in our Atom processors, but these settings seem to work with ET 2.6.9 at the moment.

Lee

@@Luke, while this is working reasonably well its still not as good as chrome or edge regarding playback.. anything i can do to help that? its been a massive step backwards in my case from where theater was at...

Lee

@@Luke yes i read that post.. thats why i said whilst this works...

its still not as good as the previous mediaplayer. i have the same settings as @@blade005 maybe he can back me up this is not as good and needs to get better?

blade005

@@Luke yes i read that post.. thats why i said whilst this works...

its still not as good as the previous mediaplayer. i have the same settings as @@blade005 maybe he can back me up this is not as good and needs to get better?

@@Lee @@Luke,

I run this machine mostly as an Emby Server and don't use the ET Client that often. So, my testing and viewing experience are limited.

I would agree with @@Lee that even with the settings I shared previously in this post that it is not as fluid and flowing as it was prior to MPV transition. It is very watchable, but I don't know if I would have more of an issue with it if I used it every day for extended periods of viewing. I would imagine it is something that could be improved over time, because the same files direct playing in the WebUI or outside of Emby with MPC play as you would expect with no viewing or performance issues. Content may dictate this experience as well. I don't have high-end 4K content, or 60fps content.

Lee

so 2.6.9 came down today.. i cannot achieve any 1080p content without it looking like a stuttering mess.. my i5 is handling transcoding easily 

edge and chrome still play the content well.. theater does not

this was not ready for release by a long chalk.. dreadful

i tried to overwrite theater with the old variant uploaded but it won't play anything not sure why? 

i'm at a loss atm as to what to do.. loved this software from the mediabrowser days.. too far in to get out.. but this is pathetic.. feel like its a beta test app, which it shouldn't be by now

Guest asrequested

Can you post screenshots of the file details and the settings you're using in ET? And have you tried playing the same file directly in the standalone? I'd like to help walk you through some testing. We should pick one movie for testing, and see if we can get playback to where you like.

Edited by Doofus