Emby Theater - Option for MadVR Disappeared

srolomc

JunkStar

Moving to MPV broke LiveTV for me since i only watch sports on live tv and now the interlacing is back. MadVR fixed this and the image quality was awsome! Why not make MadVR an option in the new ET? Now i have to manually run the old version when watching TV....

blade005

Moving to MPV broke LiveTV for me since i only watch sports on live tv and now the interlacing is back. MadVR fixed this and the image quality was awsome! Why not make MadVR an option in the new ET? Now i have to manually run the old version when watching TV....

@@JunkStar,

If I set Enable Deinterlace to YES with ET MPV it seems to remove interlacing. NO and AUTO did not.

JunkStar

@@JunkStar,

If I set Enable Deinterlace to YES with ET MPV it seems to remove interlacing. NO and AUTO did not.

Its better with "Enable deinterlacing: Yes" but nowhere near the quality of just enabling MadVR in the earlier versions... Just tested it watching the Man Utd game...

denz

You have to have it deinterlace yes and the quality is as good as madvr if it is on auto is off so not sure what is the point of having auto. Make sure you have the latest version. Live TV doesn't work well with this version when it starts it takes forever but most of the time you have to start it again. For live TV madvr was slow but this version is rubbish until it is improved.

JMGNYC

I'm really disappointed in this. I go to Emby Theater for 3 reasons, frame rate switching, high quality upscaling with madVR, and HD audio. Infuse on Apple TV now supports HD audio. If ET doesn't have frame rate switching and madVR upscaling there is no point in ET anymore for me. madVR is what set Emby apart. This is a mistake IMO unless MPV can replicate it.

Chest Rockwell

Count me among those who are disappointed to see the abrupt departure of MadVR.  The other day I started to play an SD video and wondered why the image looked so soft.  I went to check my MadVR settings and it wasn't there.  The new default scaling algorithms are subpar and there has, in my view, been a significant decrease in image quality.

It appears that the developers of this product are not videophiles and the attitude seems to be ... "good enough"  ... with respect to image quality.   I do, however, understand the desire of the developers to have a more stable and reliable player.

After poking around a bit, it appears that MPV supports Lancoz, Jinc, and even NNEDI3 scaling.  However, it is not clear if/when these will be implemented or selectable in Emby and whether they can be hardware accelerated in the GPU as with MadVR (this would be essential for NNEDI3).   DXVA2 is inadequate as many GPU's employ relatively primitive bilinear scaling under DXVA2.

I understand that the developers are still trying to just get the new MPV player up and running and debugged, but I think it would be well received by us MadVR users if the developers would at least indicate some intent to address video quality issues after the new player is stabilized.  I think I would be satisfied if at some point in the not too distant future we could get an advanced control panel that would enable at least some limited selection of H/W accelerated scaling, deinterlacing, and frame rate switching options.

• Like 1

Xorp

Really annoyed to have madVR missing after running 2.5.40 flawlessly for months. I wanted to enjoy a Friday night movie, and now find all my Emby Theater settings are fucked up with madVR gone. Why force mpv on us if it's still half baked. The auto refresh rate switching isn't working as of 2.6.9. Maybe the developers are not aware of the massive community of support and enthusiasts for madVR?

MPV supports a pretty vast selection of filters and scaling algorithms. Just take a look here:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/

Let us know which of those switches you'd like to see in the Emby UI and we're happy to add them.

Jdiesel

madVR support is what got me to switch to Emby. I understand the value in mpv for it's multi platform support which simplifies development between all clients. I will be sticking with 2.5.40 until it no longer works then likely move back to Kodi for my home theater room client.

Edited by Jdiesel

Guest asrequested

I think the biggest issue is not having a UI that you incrementally tweak any/every setting on the fly. Having a UI for all the settings is possible (though a lot of work to create), but mpv is devised in a way that it has be restarted for any settings to be used. The usability of directshow filters is different to how mpv is constructed. 

Luke, is there any possibility/likelihood (if we do enough testing) of creating a UI that can be used in a similar way to MadVR?

I think the biggest issue is not having a UI that you incrementally tweak any/every setting on the fly. Having a UI for all the settings is possible (though a lot of work to create), but mpv is devised in a way that it has be restarted for any settings to be used. The usability of directshow filters is different to how mpv is constructed. 

Luke, is there any possibility/likelihood (if we do enough testing) of creating a UI that can be used in a similar way to MadVR?

Well yes that's what I just hinted at in post #61.

Guest asrequested

Well yes that's what I just hinted at in post #61.

Oh! Well, then we should test all possible options :)

• Like 1

Chest Rockwell

MPV supports a pretty vast selection of filters and scaling algorithms. Just take a look here:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/

Let us know which of those switches you'd like to see in the Emby UI and we're happy to add them.

I am not a S/W developer so the documentation is a bit of a mystery to me.  But I will take a stab at it.  I would recommend starting with switches to enable at least the following:

Luma & Chroma Scaling:  

--scale=<filter>

--cscale=<filter>

[JINC] filters: 

ewa_lanczos

ewa_lanczossharp

In the future, I think many videophiles will want a few more options, including h/w accelerated neural net type image doubling (e.g., NNEDI3).  I don’t see it listed in the current documentation but there are some references to it and Super-XBR on GitHub.  

It appears that MVP uses Bilinear scaling by default, just like many GPU's in DXVA2.  Bilinear is fast but poor quality. So we really need some switches to activate better options.

Deinterlacing:

There needs to be auto-detection of film versus video.  With inverse telecine applied to film and a spatio-temporal deinterlacer applied to video.  I see references to YADIF, which a decent if not stellar deinterlacer.  Not entirely clear to me when YADIF is used compared to the options below, which would also be desirable.  Basic Bob and Weave need to be avoided.

vavpp

deint=<motion-compensated>

vdpaupp

deint-mode=<temporal-spatial>

d3dllvpp

mode=<mocomp>

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Like 1

daveyravey1972

I am really disappointed to find out Madvr has dissapeared.  Why was this not even discussed? I pay for premium because of MadVr playback.

Why cannot Windows users have the option of using Madvr? It worked great so why remove it?

Such a disappointment. Back to Jriver then!

• Like 1

JMGNYC

What is MPV doing with black levels? In other words, what's the best settings in the video driver and ET if the display is calibrated for 16-235?

Jdiesel

What is MPV doing with black levels? In other words, what's the best settings in the video driver and ET if the display is calibrated for 16-235?

The default for mpv is full so you will likely want to add ”video-output-levels=limited" to your config and make sure your video drivers are set to ”full" to passthough the signal untouched to your TV.

Edited by Jdiesel

The default for mpv is full so you will likely want to add ”video-output-levels=limited" to your config and make sure your video drivers are set to ”full" to passthough the signal untouched to your TV.

This setting is in the Emby Theater UI so you don't need to use a config file to change it.

2.7 will expose a number of new settings in the UI for your enjoyment:

--scale
--cscale
--dscale
--tscale

Thanks guys.

And also

- dither depth

- sigmoid upscaling

- forcing correct downscaling

- debanding

speedingcheetah

I am really disappointed to find out Madvr has dissapeared.  Why was this not even discussed? I pay for premium because of MadVr playback.

Why cannot Windows users have the option of using Madvr? It worked great so why remove it?

Such a disappointment. Back to Jriver then!

It was...in the testing forum:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Edited by speedingcheetah

JunkStar

I really get that the developers want a better and more stable video player for the future. What i dont get is why you removed MadVR when MPV isnt even close to being fully implemented? Why not have both?

daveyravey1972

completely agree why not give your end users ( who are paying for premium and bought knowing madvr was implemented) the option to use madvr or not,

Seems a no brainer to me!!!

Why pay a monthly fee if the end product has fundamentally changed from what was originally offered?