4K content is it worth it

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

So I saw The Fate Of The Furious in the theater today and really enjoyed it. While I was watching it I got to thinking of buying it on 4K when it comes out. I don't have anything currently in the house to play 4K but would love to find a reason to upgrade. So is the cost to replace equipment (TV, Roku, and surround sound) worth the price?

Also I use AnyDVD to backup my blurays and dvds. As I have not kept up with the current features do it allow backing up 4K disc?

arrbee99

Probably a function of how much money you've got lying around - we haven't got much so its not going to happen, especially as I've still got Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter lying about somewhere on VHS, DVD and now BR. If you can mange the funds for a nice big (repeat big) juicy 4k / HDR / OLED TV and decent sound and player it would be great.

No idea about AnyDVD, am on MakeMKV / Handbrake for BR at the mo.

CBers

So I saw The Fate Of The Furious in the theater today and really enjoyed it. While I was watching it I got to thinking of buying it on 4K when it comes out. I don't have anything currently in the house to play 4K but would love to find a reason to upgrade. So is the cost to replace equipment (TV, Roku, and surround sound) worth the price?

4K does look stunning on a decent TV, but as far as I know, there is very limited content broadcast in 4K, other than sports programmes.

I think it will catch on more than 3D ever did, but I'm in no rush, so I'll wait for 8K or 16K :)

The Shield TV's do 4K playback.

PenkethBoy

Last time i checked 4k Blu-ray disks cannot be backed up by Makemkv etc as the encryption has not been broken and only a few (PC) Blu-ray players can even read the disks and even then they are limited.

I have a 4k TV and a standalone 4K BR player and yes the 4k is worth it for viewing but maybe not when you look at the cost of the disks and equipment etc

• 4 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

Depends on alot of things really size of TV, viewing distance, etc.  If you're talking sitting 12 feet away from 40-50" TV then no absolutely not worth it.  Sitting 12 feet away from an 80+" 4k, then yes absolutely worth it.  4k makes little to no difference on most "standard" size TV's (60" and smaller) at most peoples normal viewing distances.  But I can tell you watching my 80" HDR 4K from 11.5 feet away is MIND BLOWING and was completely worth it.  

CharleyVarrick

I just have a nagging feeling about this: as soon as we're all perfectly setup for 1080p, then the industry introduce UHD (4K) in hope we throw everything out the window and buy all shinny new 4K hardware, and then, you guessed it, once we're all setup in 4k, they introduce 8k, then 16k. A endless cycle... I can't even count how many times I bought tech that became obsolete the following year (or less).

As other pointed out, 2-3 years into the UHD craze, there's still very little 4k content and prices are still high. Then again, when the prices begin to go down, it can only mean they're about to introduce the next big thing.

In the end, when you watch your present HD content with current equipment, are you frowning and saying, yuk, this looks really bad? Probably not.

If you go to a friend house/tech store and your jaw drops to the floor watching 4K and you decide you NEED this, by all means, indulge yourelf, but let's not do it just to be inflatable neighbours.

Edited by jlr19

Jdiesel

I stopped buying the latest and greatest after being burnt too many times. I currently own a 60" 1080p plasma TV, a 1080p projector with a 135" screen, and a 40" lcd TV. I do plan to upgrade my projector to 4K once native 4K projectors drop to around $3000 in price but I have no desire to upgrade my TVs to 4K and will keep them until they fail or are completely obsolete. I don't know if others have mentioned it already but the real value in upgrading to a new display is not 4K but HDR. That is something you will notice an immediate improvement with regardless of your viewing distance. 

Edited by Jdiesel