Inconsistent CoverArt Aspect Ratio In Web Client

Luke
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

The image is not quite 1:1. The page that displays multiple sometimes normalizes them to create a uniform look. The detail page does not and you can see there the width is slightly greater than the height.

rickster53

Not sure why you couldn't maintain a "uniform look" and still preserve the aspect ratio of the album cover? I'm sure they exist as an exception, but I have yet to see an album cover that isn't 1:1. Yes, I suppose the CoverArt treatment would make each image wider than its height, but they would still be "uniform" because they all look the same and have the same treatment.

• Solution

it's because the sizes of the containers are predetermined at design time, not runtime, in order to allow it to be responsive and adjust nicely for different screen sizes, dpi's, devices, etc. So for music it's all 1:1, movies 2:3, etc. The detail page is able to be a little more dynamic so that's why it stays true to the image AR.

• Like 1

rickster53

I use the CoverArt option to Use Original Aspect Ratio and have that option checked. This option preserves the original aspect ratio of the image when the CoverArt treatment is applied with the exception of album covers--- see attached view/screenshot (1) in the web client.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etd6moe49pjcvs5/Aspect%20ratio%20-%201.pdf

Notice the album cover for the 2014 Grammy Nominees, and how the design in the center is oval in shape. Now look at the same album cover in another view (2) of the web client, and notice how it is correctly displayed with the center design as circular. It would seem as though the original aspect ratio is not being preserved in the first screenshot, and this issue appears to be present in every web client page where an album cover is displayed except for attached (2), which is the page displayed when you click on the specific album.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7j235wk5gm88sm/Aspect%20ratio%20-%202.pdf

It isn't really noticeable in most covers except for those with a circular design which stretches into an oval. Note: the album cover resolution is 600 x 600.

Edited by rickster53