Criteria for deciding on "Latest" media

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

How does Emby decide on what is considered "Latest" and what is the maximum amount of entries it will show?

I find that the latest media for TV disappears faster than I would like. Also when adding multiple episodes on the same series, for example an entire season, it tends to wipe out the list of latest shows even though it groups the multiple shows recently added under a single tile. For me personally the Latest media categories are the most used way of finding something to watch and I would like it if it retained items for a longer period as well as a greater number of items in total. Any change to get a setting for this?

Happy2Play

Not sure what you mean, Lasted does not drop any Series, except for manybe over 30 Series.  Unless you are referring to the Home Screen Latest.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Yes the home screen latest

That would be where you have to click the "More" button to actually go to the Latest TV Page.

But criteria would be newest date add appears first.

Edited by Happy2Play

Jdiesel

Even when clicking on "More" I am still having all my single episodes wiped out by new series/season. I had 10 individual episodes that aired yesterday on my "Latest TV" menu as of this morning. I added a new season of a show, 24 episodes, now I only have one tile for that show showing 24 new items. This is both on the home screen and when clicking the "More" button.

Edited by Jdiesel

Happy2Play

Even when clicking on "More" I am still having all my single episodes wiped out by new series/season. I had 10 individual episodes that aired yesterday on my "Latest TV" menu as of this morning. I added a new season of a show, 24 episodes, now I only have one tile for that show showing 24 new items. This is both on the home screen and when clicking the "More" button.

If what you say is happening then something is broke on your system.   You Latest TV show grow to it's set display limits.  Unless we are talking about different screens.

590b8ca79a54a_latest.jpg

Jack Burton

@@Happy2Play off topic, but how did you get the number of episodes to display like that, with the blue in the corner? Never been a fan of the big green circles

If what you say is happening then something is broke on your system.   You Latest TV show grow to it's set display limits.  Unless we are talking about different screens.

590b8ca79a54a_latest.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
PM'd user

Happy2Play

@@Luke

I think I have seen this before but you would have to confirm.  Is the a total episode limit for "Latest TV"?  So if you exceed the limit, oldest items are dropped from "Latest TV".

I can replicate by marking some as watched other series or series episode count increase.

So in @@Jdiesel case those two series episode count exceeds the media display Limit.

Using a single series as an example, before and after making another series as watched.

590d1739f2e87_Lastest.jpg

590d174a10b55_Lastest2.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

• 3 weeks later...
bfir3

Yes there's always a limit decided by the app

Older Emby builds handled this situation properly. It returned the 8 or 10 or whatever the limit of SERIES that had new episodes in them. And the new episodes were counted for each series. The new logic to return only based on new episodes and using a hard limit on episodes instead of series seems to yield undesirable results.

• 2 months later...
One2Go

Just noticed this problem in my setup but in a slightly different manner. It displays desirable results in the Web app but not in the EMC client. Any idea what can be done to change this or are there some settings that will allow the display of Latest TV shows on the EHS screen in EMC the way it appears on the Web App?

No problem with movies and mixed content on the EHS screen showing latest media. Also a separate TV Library with MA rated content having only 4 shows in it displays all four in the latest media section on the EHS.

Web App Latest Media

59991388d001b_LatestWeb.jpg

Latest in EMC

599913a928cfa_LatestEMC.jpg

One2Go

Correct but why not display the rest of the shows? The very latest content added was Dark Matter Season 3 episode 12. For me latest added content is one of the more important places for selection.

All the shows listed in the Web App had unwatched episodes. Also it did not matter if in the my media settings I unticked the box to hide watched shows. Also when cycling from Newest to unwatched shows, it lists 6 including Dark Matter, Life and Citizen Khan and for watched episodes it lists about 4 or 5.

I searched the forum and there were earlier postings from 2016 and 2014 were similar problems were experienced in EMC/WMC. The weirdest part is it ONLY incorrectly displays the newest shows in the one library "TV Shows" which has 141 shows all other libraries display the newest items correctly. In one of the threads one person deleted the whole TV library and then added it again and rescanned it to solve the problem which I am not doing since I have a total of 144 shows with 3517 episodes.

Still any help would be appreciated.

The way EMC shows this information dates back to way before the server existed so it can be different.  You can get more of them to show up probably by editing your config file and increasing the LatestItemsContainerCount.  Be advised that could have a negative effect on performance.