Emby waking up my DS213j at night

Burrito78
Go to solution Solved by newb,

Burrito78

Hi there,

my DS213 is waking up every hour at night. 

5909cb02107f1_loghypernation1hourwakeup.

I checked the logfiles and saw that Emby connect is doing something at these times. I don't use Emby connect. Emby is only used locally.

5909cb8576e5d_Bildschirmfoto20170502um09

I then stopped Emby before going to bed. Better log this time. Still not perfect, but that is something else going on.

5909cc2ba6d5b_Bildschirmfoto20170503um09

I didn't do any special Emby-Tricks yet to improve hibernation. Are they still required?

Is it possible to disable Emby connect?

See full log attached to this post.

Best regards,

Burrito78

server-63629280000.txt

As a test, can you remove installed plugins and see if that makes a difference? thanks !

Burrito78

I uninstalled everything but the Trailers Plug-In won't go away. Restarting the server from the Dashboard and stopping/starting from DSM Package Center makes no difference.

See current log attached.

server-63629452876.txt

Burrito78

Either it's the Trailers Plugin or something else because with only the Trailers Plugin it still happens.

590afa3aee509_Bildschirmfoto20170504um11

Sorry about the size!

Maybe you could come back to me about that Trailer Plugin uninstall problem too?

Regards,

Burrito78

Hi.  Can you make sure that any apps  you use (Roku, Android, etc.) are logged out one night and see if that makes a difference?

• Solution
newb

Hi @@Burrito78,

Disk writes would prevent the NAS from hibernating the hard disks.

Please would you try the steps in the following post - they will suppress Emby Connect related log entries from being created in the log files, hence eliminating the hourly disk writes:
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39319-Synology-NAS-(DS415+)-does-not-hibernate-after-installing-Emby-Server&do=findComment&comment=403693

Also see the full thread for more details and on how to detect which files were modified in the last hour.

Please let us know how you get along?

Edited by newb
  • Like 1

Burrito78

@@ebr I'm running only one LibreELEC client at the moment and its powered off at night.

@@newb Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Will do so and report back!

Thanks guys for your help!

Burrito78

@@Luke Do you want to troubleshoot the problem that the Trailers Plugin can't be uninstalled or have you already found the cause?

Burrito78

The problem is gone now after applying the fix described in the thread mentioned above by @@newb. Thanks again for you help guys! You rock!

I even knew this thread because i searched the forum before posting here, but i didn't know it was directly related to my problem.

Maybe @@solabc16 could update the above linked thread to include the following information:

-What the fix actually does (suppress Emby Connect related log entries from being created in the log files, hence eliminating the hourly disk writes)

-Thats it works with the regular install (no beta needed)

-That its still needed, even with the newest server version, to prevent hourly hibernation interruption on Synology NAS devices.

Best regards,

Burrito78

solabc16

Hello @@Burrito78

You're right, not obvious unless you were directly involved in the discussion/dev at the time.

I'll get this turned into a page on the Synology section of the Wiki during the week.

Thanks @@newb for signposting the information.

Best

- James

@@solabc16 fyi I'd rather pull the actual code changes into the core so that we can capture the knowledge. i'd rather not have users patching files as that will just lead to more troubleshooting. thanks !

solabc16

Hi @@Luke

This is the NLog config we ultimately settled on as a solution for those experiencing the issue, and was merged in PR2304.

Probably worth having a back-track over that thread as a refresher.

So there's no code changes per se (they are already integrated), it's just a user opt-in to enable the functionality, if this is an issue for them.

Which they can do using these instructions: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39319-synology-nas-ds415-does-not-hibernate-after-installing-emby-server/?p=403693

Best

- James

newb

Indeed, the solution for allowing hard disks to be hibernated on Synology NAS devices was two fold:

1. Prevent hourly disk writes to wan.dat and connect.txt - this was fixed with a code change and now those files are touched only on startup and when the WAN IP actually changes. The stable version of Emby has had this fix in for several months now, so there is no need to use a beta version of Emby.
  2. Despite the fix in point 1, disk writes still occur when Emby modifies the log files, which also prevents the HDDs from being hibernated (or causes them to wake from hibernation). Every hour, Emby logs that it is checking the WAN IP as part of the Emby Connect process. Supressing the logging of Emby Connect work was solved using a no-code solution by @@solabc16 which involved an NLog filter being applied, as described in the forum post linked above. This is still needed today.

I'm going to remove the connect logging anyway because that could affect other platforms. thanks.

• Like 1