DTS transcoding with newer ffmpeg

Strudo76

Strudo76
Some background info first. My mate was having some trouble watching h265 video files on his TV, but they play fine on his media player box. I noticed the linked version of ffmpeg in Emby was very old, so downloaded the latest version and linked to that one. That allows the h265 video to transcode to the TV, however, it seems to have introduced another problem to which I can't find a solution.

Previously there has been no problem playing either AC3, DTS or AAC (correctly transcoded to AC3) on his TV. However, with the new ffmpeg installed, it now insists on transcoding anything with DTS to PCM, which sounds rubbish and only sounds like 2 channels. It appears to be something to do with the way the server interprets the video file. We were reinstalling Windows 10 anyway, so the following tests were done on a completely fresh Windows 10 installation, with only system drivers, his McAfee anti virus, Notepad++ and Emby Server installed. I did some testing using a folder containing only one movie.

Using the straight Emby installed version of ffmpeg (N-83781-g3016e91), the file transcoded the DTS audio.

I removed the movie from the library by deleting the file and running a library scan on the empty movie folder

I then downloaded the latest nightly build of ffmpeg (N-85653-gb4330a0), and pointed Emby server to that. I put the movie back and scanned it, and the movie still transcodes DTS audio.

I removed the movie again using the same method above

I then downloaded an older ffmpeg v2.8, and pointed Emby server to that. I put the movie back and scanned it, and the movie now correctly direct plays the DTS audio.

My guess would be that the ffmpeg or ffprobe results from the media scan are different in some way between the older and latest versions of ffmpeg? I've attached server and transcode logs below. I also tried another ffmpeg version (N-79690-g78baa45) between the nightly build and the 2.8 version which didn't give any improvement and still transcoded DTS. Those logs are also included. The latest (last) log contains the successful playback using the 2.8 ffmpeg.

Hopefully I've included enough to get some solution. Since it's not my setup, I can't readily provide more information, as I'd need to go to my mates place to get more information if it's anything more complex that looking up something. I'm not even sure if it's a app issue or a server issue, or something external with ffmpeg.

Anyway, if someone could take a look through and see if something stands out as a problem, I'd appreciate it. Would like to get some sort of resolution either way before I restore his complete library.

Thanks

Simon

server-63629281864.txt

ffmpeg-remux-97e83be0-9dcc-4003-b2dd-d0de27b6ec21.txt

server-63629281846.txt

ffmpeg-remux-f4d628d9-441d-4d1a-aa25-e6550fb40d1c.txt

server-63629282903.txt

ffmpeg-remux-1ff2f87e-9aea-4ca6-bdbe-2898549af685.txt

server-63629283496.txt

Strudo76

How are you playing on the Samsung TV?

Opps, yeah should have mentioned that. His TV is a Samsung UA65H6400AR running the Emby app version 2.1.3. We haven't updated that app recently, so I'm not sure it is the latest version available.

FrostByte

Opps, yeah should have mentioned that. His TV is a Samsung UA65H6400AR running the Emby app version 2.1.3. We haven't updated that app recently, so I'm not sure it is the latest version available.

The latest version is 2.2.2 (or 2.2.3 beta if you want to try LiveTV).  Might want to start there

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Strudo76

The latest version is 2.2.2 (or 2.2.3 beta if you want to try LiveTV).  Might want to start there

OK, updated the app to 2.2.2 without improvement in the end result.

However....

Now I have a slightly different situation that is even more baffling to me. The test file now reports that it is using driect play, and not transcoding, and there is no ffmpeg transcode log when the file plays. It still doesn't play the DTS audio through the amplifier when scanning using newer versions of ffmpeg though.

I ran the same test as I specified in the OP. This time I enabled debug logging as well, just in case it would be of benefit.

Using the ffmpeg that installed with Emby Server (20170308), no DTS

Using ffmpeg 2.8, plays DTS properly

Using ffmpeg 3.0.1, plays DTS properly

Using ffmpeg 3.1.4, no DTS

I'm not sure where to look for the problem now though. It seems with the 2.2.2 app, it always shows direct play, specifying H264 and DTS audio present, which suggests the TV isn't passing the DTS audio bit stream to the amplifier.

But without any changes to the setup of the Emby server, Emby app, the TV, the amplifier or the file itself, other than the version of ffmpeg being used to scan the library, the DTS either works or doesn't work at the amplifier. It should be noted that in previous tests (before I even did the OP tests), changing the ffmpeg version had no effect on items already in the library. It was only the version that was pointed to during the library scan that would determine whether amplifier would get the DTS or PCM.

On quick testing, AC3 audio doesn't seem to have any issues.

Is there some flag in the DTS stream attributes that might be being set differently between different versions of ffmpeg that affects the ability of the TV to pass through the DTS signal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

server-63629424491.txt

server-63629425709.txt

• 2 weeks later...
Strudo76

Don't mean to bump (this will be the only one), but has anyone had any thoughts on how I should tackle this?

zigzagtshirt

Don't mean to bump (this will be the only one), but has anyone had any thoughts on how I should tackle this?

Do you have your TV set to passthrough DTS instead of Dolby in the audio settings?  I have a 7000 series and I have to manually select which to passthrough.

Strudo76

Do you have your TV set to passthrough DTS instead of Dolby in the audio settings?  I have a 7000 series and I have to manually select which to passthrough.

Hey there,

Yes it's all set correctly. DTS passes through as expected when the older version of ffmpeg is active during the library scan. Even if I change the version of ffmpeg after the library scan is complete, DTS is still passed through correctly. It's only if I have the newer version (newer than 3.1.4) of ffmpeg active during the library scan that DTS is not passed through correctly.

I really can't think of any reason why this should be the case though.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

the way the codecs are named may have changed and the samsung community app might not be accounting for that.

Strudo76

the way the codecs are named may have changed and the samsung community app might not be accounting for that.

Ah ok. Is there anything I can do about that, or is it in the hands of the app developer to track down and/or solve?