Missing subtitle styles on PS4 web browser

Kyouma

Kyouma

Hello,

I have a problem watching my media (mostly anime with subtitles) through the PS4 web browser, it wont display the subtitles in the right font style.

This is how its supposed to look like:

95hZpW3.png

Thats how it looks like when im watching it through the PC web browser, but on the PS4 the font of the subtitle is wrong and it has no borders,

so its rly hard to read them when the backgorund is something like white.

Here is the infromatin about the video:

EwbQOlB.png

I hope someone can help me. (sorry if its hard to understand, english is not my native language)

hi @@Kyouma, well the reason for this is because we are rendering the anime ass/ssa subs directly in the browser, and it's possible that the PS4 web browser doesn't' support certain features and that's why they look different than on your PC.

The only real "fix" here would be to burn them in on the server with video transcoding, but you might not find that very desirable.

Kyouma

Hello and thank you for your reply @@Luke. Actually i already searched for an option to do so, but couldn´t find an option that allows me to do that. Of course, it´s not so good for the cpu but without doing it i can´t watch my Anime on the TV and i´d really love to do that. So i would appreciate it, if you could tell me how to always burn them in the video.

Are there any plans in the future to get a better fix for this "problem"?

Try dropping the in-app bitrate setting to a value that is lower than the video, that will force it to transcode. let us know if this helps. thanks.

Kyouma

Lowering the bitrate isnt helping (set a 1080p video to 480p), but i just saw that the subtitles now have borders without changing anything. Now im able to read it properly, but the font and styles are still missing. For now i can live with that, but will there be a future fix for this problem?

Lowering the bitrate isnt helping (set a 1080p video to 480p), but i just saw that the subtitles now have borders without changing anything. Now im able to read it properly, but the font and styles are still missing. For now i can live with that, but will there be a future fix for this problem?

Probably not because the trade-off that we are making is rendering them in the browser is "good enough" in exchange for avoiding transcoding. The browser can't replicate all of those styles by itself. The only way to do that is to burn them in with video transcoding. Most people would rather avoid the transcoding though. If you want to open a feature request topic to have a setting to force burning them in, then we can measure community demand for that. thanks !