Live backgrounds for Emby theater but not Emby WMC

jachin99
Go to solution Solved by jachin99,

I guess you also have the Optional Network Path defined for those library locations?

jachin99

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure i do.  Correct me if i'm wrong but there should be only one place in emby's settings where I need to define a UNC path, and I need to define the Movie folder path, not the drive path, right?  My movies folder is on a drive that is separate from my C drive on the server.  

Correct me if i'm wrong but there should be only one place in emby's settings where I need to define a UNC path, 

No, that is not correct.  The network paths need to be defined for every media location.

Also, I would use a machine name instead of IP address just to insulate against the address changing.

jachin99

No, that is not correct.  The network paths need to be defined for every media location.

Also, I would use a machine name instead of IP address just to insulate against the address changing.

Maybe I'm not being really clear.  I'm only pointing emby to one folder on one drive because i only use it for movies.  This is why I only have one UNC path defined.  If I were to define UNC path for every media location (As I understand that term in its current context) then it would look like \\localhost\drive\movies\avengers, \\localhost\drive\movies\batman, etc. Is this what you are telling me I need to be doing?

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

Other than the library tab in server manager are there any other locations where I need to input a network location, or point emby in some way to a specific folder?

Maybe I'm not being really clear.  I'm only pointing emby to one folder on one drive because i only use it for movies.  This is why I only have one UNC path defined.  If I were to define UNC path for every media location (As I understand that term in its current context) then it would look like \\localhost\drive\movies\avengers, \\localhost\drive\movies\batman, etc. Is this what you are telling me I need to be doing?

No, I meant each location you define to Emby.  It sounds like you only have one so that is all you need.

Sorry but I'm out of ideas on your end.  I will investigate further and let you know but, to set your expectations, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get to it.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've had a chance to test this and it is working for me - not sure what the difference is.

All I did was go to my Avengers movie folder and create a folder called "backdrops".  I then dragged the trailer for the movie into that folder and refreshed the movie in Emby.

Brought it up in the web app and theater first to be sure the theme played and then brought it up in EMC and it did there too...

595cf3ed0adff_themeavengers.png

jachin99

Is there a way you can export your settings so that I can apply to them to my machine or a test machine?  What file format was your trailer in?  Thanks

The trailer was an mov file.

That is a good point, though.  I don't think that the active backgrounds will be transcoded so they may have to be in a format that WMC can play natively...

jachin99

I looked in my avengers backdrop folder, and it has a mp4 file in it.  I also have shark's advanced codecs installed and configured with the recommended settings.  Off the top of your head, are there any light weight file conversion tools out there that I can use to convert an mp4 to a .mov?

d00zah

@@ebr, please consider that your result in comment #35 MAY have been the internet trailer playing (button visible in your screen shot). I tried to reproduce this problem with the same result.. until I uninstalled the Trailer plug-in, at which point, no local trailer/background content would play in EMC with the same config settings.

Edited by d00zah

@@ebr, please consider that your result in comment #35 MAY have been the internet trailer playing (button visible in your screen shot). I tried to reproduce this problem with the same result.. until I uninstalled the Trailer plug-in, at which point, no local trailer/background content would play in EMC with the same config settings.

The option to play the trailer as a background was disabled (I did ensure that) but here is my Downton Abbey background playing in its place just for confirmation.

5963f9b1eede2_avengersbd.png

d00zah

Hmm...  I stand corrected. That's how I would have verified.

I'll have to try this experiment again when I have more time. Sorry to waste yours.

jachin99

I downloaded a sample .mov file, and stuck it in the backdrops folder under my avengers folder but it still showed background art and no video.  I also made sure I had the trailers plugin installed. 

jachin99

I did run a library scan but I had no luck.  I even tried to reset all of my codec settings to factory defaults in order to eliminate any problems that shark's codec pack might be causing.  Still no luck

Tried that and still no luck.

The last log I saw from you was not running the beta version.  Are you sure you are...?

jachin99

I just upgraded both of my machines to the beta version of emby for WMC last night, and the live backgrounds were not playing.  I'm wondering if my server PC is just a pos and needs to be rebuilt