Transcode to lower resolution

Lesferatu

Lesferatu

Hi, 

Scenario: I'm new to emby and experiencing some issues with the Kodi addon and transcoding. At home, i have a 4k tv and use the Samsung SmartTV app. But when i'm traveling, i want to use the Kodi Addon on a RPi3. The resolution in the system settings in Kodi is set to 1080p. In the Emby addon, i specified a bitrate of 9.2k.

The problem: If i play a 4k video, it gets transcoded to 9.2k but the resolution stays at 4k --> video disturbed. Please find the log of the transcoding session attached.

Question: Can i somehow force Emby to transcode to 1080p? Or even better: Is it possible to adapt the transcoding-resolution to the max resolution of the device?

thanks in advance,

Andy

Log.txt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Angelblue05

Your pull request was merged in. It will be part of the next beta, thanks for the pull request. Sorry it took so long to get this done.

• 2 weeks later...
Gerrit507

This fixes the issue only partially for me

I have a PC that accesses my emby server remotely. My emby server has an upload bandwidth of 20 Mbps. The PC is connected to a UHD screen. Emby detects that and limits the resolution to UHD accordingly. The problem is that UHD@15 Mbps looks much worse than HD@15 Mbps. The option in the player says explicitly "1080p 15Mbps" but emby is still encoding in UHD because of the screen. When I set it to 720p 4Mbps, it encodes in 1080p... I made a crosscheck with emby for kodi, set resolution in kodi to 1080p and enabled the option to limit the video resolution to the screen resolution in the emby for kodi addon and the quality looks way better. In my opinion emby should not only take the screen resolution in account, but also the chosen bitrate or max. bandwidth. I think that the resolution that is selected by the user should be used by emby... 

It sounds like it is only adding the bitrate to the streaming query string and not using maxWidth/maxHeight

Gerrit507

Sorry, I just saw that this topic is about the kodi addon  :unsure:

I was talking about the web interface. The limitation in kodi works fine  :lol:

For example when I set 1080p 15Mbps the transcoded video is still 2160p...

Edited by Gerrit507