Feature Request: Scan Media Library Schedule Improvement

Hi Team, 

Firstly... love the media browser system (MBC and MBT). Even in Beta I'm enjoying the interface and functionality. Every update brings more fun and exciting toys to play with. Keep up the amazing work!

I looked as best I could to see if anyone had already suggested this and wasn't able to find any particular post about it, so I thought I'd create a topic. I was wondering if the following might be a little quick fix tweak which would be useful for others (as well as myself). 

In the Scan Media Library scheduler, you can choose from Daily, Weekly, At an Interval, Application Start or Event. These are all very useful and I have mine set for nightly at 0200hrs. 

What I thought would be great (specifically for my schedule and routine), would be if you could have a "Day of the week" option which allowed you to have a different schedule per day of the week. For example:

Weekdays: Scan @ 0200hrs + 1500hrs (this would allow you to catch any items which were downloaded post 0200 hours while you're at work)

Weekends: Scan @ 0200hrs (this way you would not have the scan running at a time when you might be making use of the sysem)

The reason this is would be useful (in my situation) is that my setup is configured for minimal complication and cost, making use of technology which (almost) anyone could set up and comprehend. Which I understand is in line with the overall vision of what Media Browser is all about. I could set up something more advanced and not have to worry about system resources or utilisation, but I'm trying to avoid that.

The problem stems from when a library scan runs, it chews up a fair bit of network / modem / router resource which makes multitasking quite cumbersome. Watching a movie or episode when a library scan is in progress is usually not possible. I think the cause is the router struggling with processing the network throughput for high def streaming at the same time as trying to process a media library scan with it's attached network drives. I'm looking into a proper NAS system but thats for future me to worry about. 

I have read that apparently Media Browser Server should be doing "on the fly" updates as items are added in a "watch folder" kind of way but thus far I've not seen any evidence of this actually happening. If anyone has any suggestions which would explain why it's not I'm open to solutions I might not have looked at. 

If this is the wrong way to post a feature request or I'm barking up the wrong tree, please feel free to let me know. 

Thanks!!!

Edited by mattispantone81

It would just fix a full system scan as far as I know. It wouldn't change the way the directory watchers work. Those would still fire off a scan.

Koleckai Silvestri

The scan media library task doesn't deal with "on the fly media additions." there should be a background task that checks your folders periodically for new content. I have my library scan task running every hour though. Believe this is the default.

What kind of system are you running server on that the scan cripples multitasking and streaming?

• 1 month later...

Hi Team, 

Apologies for the late reply but I have been busy as. 

It would seem that taking my content off my under resourced nas and having them connected locally on my media centre PC and increasing the regularity of scans has somewhat fixed the issue. 

Though it would seem now that Media Browser is watching for on the fly additions to the library which I'm trying to get my head around. 

All in all I think that my point is now somewhat moot considering the above. 

Thank you all for your assistance. You may consider this topic closed :)

(from my point of view anyway)