Black screen in Chrome and connection failure in Emby Theater app

nortok00

nortok00

Hello all,

Looking for a little help on a couple issues:

1. I have Emby installed on my laptop and my father's (separate homes/networks). They're both setup the same way with the server/web app running on the same machine on Win 10 Home. Both installs run the server under localhost and accessed via the chrome browser as http://localhost:8096/web/home.html.

Everything was running fine on my father's machine until today. Now Chrome just displays a black screen when he uses the web app. He indicates he doesn't even see any of the navigation. When he first told me he didn't see any movies I thought he accidentally deleted the file folder but that's when I found out the entire screen is black. To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed on his laptop between yesterday and today but it's possible an update happened (either Windows or Chrome). I had him restart the server and clear the cache on chrome/restart chrome but this did nothing. Rebooting the laptop also didn't resolve the issue. I then had him try the URL in the Win 10 native browser "Edge" and it works fine so it's obviously just a Chrome thing. I found other posts on this but the only resolution seemed to be that it "fixed itself".

I believe he's on Emby Version 3.2.13.0 like me but I'm not positive. I updated him recently but he could be a version behind.

Any thoughts on what else to check? My last resort was going to be to uninstall/re-install chrome and Emby if needed. I haven't encountered this myself which is why I'm at a loss as to what the issue might be given it's working on another browser. The only problem is that Edge and Firefox don't have chromecast ability otherwise I would have him use one of those for now.

2. Given I couldn't resolve the black screen of death over the phone with him I discovered the Emby Theater app in the Windows store and thought I could get him to install that until I can fix Chrome. I first tested this on my laptop before I walk through an install with him over the phone. Problem is I can't get this to work on my laptop. I get "Connection Failure" connecting to the local server. I found similar posts on this and supposedly the requirement is to be on Win 10 Anniversary version which I am. How do I troubleshoot this? Is there something on the server I have to enable? I tried just connecting on the server that it already found on my machine but that gives a Connection Failure so I tried adding a server with my local IP and "localhost" but still the same thing. Are there any ideas on this? Is there something to look at in the server log or does the app have it's own logs? I couldn't find a version number for the app in the store. I'm assuming it's the latest.

If logs are needed from my father's machine I will provide them on Saturday when I go visit. I was hoping there might be some things I could try that aren't mentioned above.

Thanks!

I would suggest clearing browsing data. You can also try rebooting the computer and installing again on top of the existing installation. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

nortok00

Hi Luke. You might not have seen it in my post but I already had my father clear his cache and reboot. It's possible he did this incorrectly so will try it again when I next visit but it sounds like he was doing what I asked when I walked him through this.

Any thoughts on why I can't get the Theater app to work?

Thanks!!

No thoughts yet but until the built-in web app is working it's not worth looking at any of the other apps.