Please bring back 'Short Overview' section in Metadata Manager

jimbobjones

jimbobjones

The Short Overview section used to exist in the metadata manager, however, after reading https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44536-short-overview-section-missing-in-metadata-manager/ it appears that it has been removed as ' Emby does not make any use of this information, therefore it's being removed from the editor.  In the future if we start using it, then it can return'.

However, Kodi makes use of this information, so it impacts lots of people who use Emby-for-Kodi.  The Short Overview used to contain the plot outline from imdb, and the 'overview' would give the longer description of the plot.  This full Overview often contains spoilers as well.  Now the full Overview is what we see for each film we add, which is really annoying.

Please bring back Short Overview.

• Like 8

MarcusJ

Thank you JimBobJones for refreshing this topic. I have been hoping and waiting for the return of this feature.  

• 2 weeks later...
jimbobjones

FYI - here is what the Short Overview for http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276820 (The Founder) should be 'The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into one of the biggest restaurant businesses in the world with a combination of ambition, persistence, and ruthlessness.'

But since we no longer have Short Overview, we get this instead: '1954. Having worked as a salesman most of his adult life, Ray Kroc has been a hustler in most senses of the word. That hustling has made him the target of derision among certain circles for peddling what have ended up being more novelty or faddish than useful products, but it has also placed more than a comfortable roof in Arlington Heights, Illinois over his and his wife Ethel's heads. Ethel, however, wishes that he placed as much effort into being at home with her than he is in selling, his current job of peddling five-spindle milkshake makers for Prince Castle which has him constantly on the road going from one drive-in restaurant to another. It is because of the beefs he has with the whole drive-in experience (bad food, bad service) in constantly eating at such establishments while on the road that he becomes enthralled with the concept of McDonald's Restaurant in San Bernardino, California, it owned and operated by brothers Richard McDonald and Maurice McDonald - Dick and Mac. Unlike most of Ray's customers who will only require one five-spindle milkshake maker at any given time, the McDonald brothers end up purchasing eight machines for their single restaurant. Primarily on Dick's initiative, the brothers have redesigned the whole concept of the drive-in restaurant to focus on quality food through a smaller menu of only the most popular items (hamburgers, fries, sodas), consistency in product so that customers know what to expect from time to time, change in the target market from lounging teenagers to families, and perhaps most importantly speed in having any order ready within seconds, many of these goals achievable through assembly line styled production. They had tried franchising previously, but failed in that they lost control over many of those aspects which made their San Bernardino restaurant successful. Despite believing Ray a bit off kilter (in other words, crazy), the McDonald brothers somewhat hesitantly enter into a contract with him to be their head of franchising. Ray's experience in the job is not without its problems, especially as his franchisees seem to be making more money than he is, he who is only breaking even. He is not averse to advancing ideas provided to him to get ahead - original ideas which are not his forte - he seeing the brothers as his biggest problem in they thinking small. These differences lead to a standoff between Ray and the brothers, the former who has a different goal for "his" business in profit and stoking his own ego seemingly his main priorities.'

• 3 months later...

If you set Omdb as your highest priority movie provider, then the overview it will provide will be what you are looking for. That's been there this whole time.

jimbobjones

If you set Omdb as your highest priority movie provider, then the overview it will provide will be what you are looking for. That's been there this whole time.

I have Omdb as the highest and it doesn't work. What I pasted above is what you get for the movies I listed.

Try refreshing a movie manually from the web app using the 3-dot menu on the detail screen. Using the above example The Founder.

You can see for yourself by entering the imdb id on the omdb home page:

http://www.omdbapi.com/

This is what omdb has:

"Plot":"The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into one of the biggest restaurant businesses in the world with a combination of ambition, persistence and ruthlessness."

jimbobjones

Yeah and that would usually go in Short Overview?

You commented in this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44536-short-overview-section-missing-in-metadata-manager/

You said 'Emby does not make any use of this information, therefore it's being removed from the editor.  In the future if we start using it, then it can return. Thanks.'

Now all we get is Overview, which is the longer one, not the short one.

jimbobjones

Just refreshed http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4048272

Emby has this: Winfried doesn't see much of his working daughter Ines. He pays her a surprise visit in Bucharest, where she's busy as a corporate strategist. The geographical change doesn't help them to see more eye to eye. Practical joker Winfried annoys his daughter with corny pranks and jabs at her routine lifestyle of meetings and paperwork. Father and daughter reach an impasse, and Winfried agrees to go home to Germany. Enter Toni Erdmann: Winfried's flashy alter ego. Disguised in a tacky suit, weird wig and fake teeth, Toni barges into Ines' work circle, claiming to be her CEO's life coach. As Toni, Winfried doesn't hold back, and Ines meets the challenge. The harder they push, the closer they become. In all the madness, Ines begins to see that her eccentric father deserves a place in her life.

Imdb has: A practical joking father tries to reconnect with his hard working daughter by creating an outrageous alter ego and posing as her CEO's life coach.

This is what Omdb has, which you should have gotten:

A practical joking father tries to reconnect with his hard working daughter by creating an outrageous alter ego and posing as her CEO's life coach.

jimbobjones

Same issue as before, same as other people who have posted in this thread.

Yeah, well that's the problem :)

Something is broken. And has been for a long time.

Edited by jimbobjones

jimbobjones

What about the fact that Short Overview used to exist. In that other post you said Emby didnt make use of it so it was removed. However, you realise that that is where 'A practical joking father tries to reconnect with his hard working daughter by creating an outrageous alter ego and posing as her CEO's life coach' would have gone??

My mistake, sorry. I forgot that omdb has both the long and shorter overviews, and so yes, we are using the shorter one. I suppose an option to choose between the two is reasonable, however i think going forward we'll make the short one the default since that will be closer to imdb. thanks.

Happy2Play

Basically only one field is being used/displayed so it dedends on what provider you use on what is dislplayed in the "Overview" field.

jimbobjones

My mistake, sorry. I forgot that omdb has both the long and shorter overviews, and so yes, we are using the shorter one. I suppose an option to choose between the two is reasonable, however i think going forward we'll make the short one the default since that will be closer to imdb. thanks.

Any idea when this change will be?