J5200 Volume Issues

NeauxGeaux

NeauxGeaux

Anyone else having issues adjusting the volume from the emby app? This is the official app from the app store, not the slideloaded one. The volume overlay doesn't appear when adjusting the volume and its sort of difficult to adjust, as I have to hit the volume up like 30 times to feel like it makes a difference. Then when I exit the emby app, the volume is suppppper loud. Any ideas?

• Like 1

NeauxGeaux

This is a bedroom TV, so I'm just using the standard TV speakers. No receivers. Typically when I'm watching cable tv, the volume is loud enough on around 12. However, when I launch the Emby app and start watching either a movie or tv show, I can barely hear it. So I start to turn it up blindly (volume overlay does not appear). Once I get it to where I can hear it a little, the volume is as high as it will go (I assume, because even holding down the Volume Up button for like 20 seconds, the volume does not go up anymore).

Not sure if this is relevant, but my setting for "audio boost when downmixing" is at the default value of "2". Don't think that's important to this issue because almost all of my media uses Direct Play.

• 1 month later...
NeauxGeaux

Luke,

Sorry for the lapse of reply on this one.  I have checked the volume level on the TV itself and everything is fine.  It's something specific to the Emby app, because the volume level on chromecast or watching cable is perfectly fine.  I haven't noticed it being as bad lately... not sure if there was a "fix" in the updates or not.

I think the biggest annoyance/inconvenience is not being able to see the TV's volume overlay when inside the Emby app.

• Like 1

SamES

This must be something specific to J series.  On K series I get the volume overlay and the audio volume is similar in the app and and TV, Netflix, etc.

Not sure how to test this, I'll have to check the docs and see if there are any clues if we ate doing something wrong in the app.  J-series was definitely less tolerant of issues which caused no problem on K series.

FrostByte

If it's specific to a certain model/series sometimes these issues can be resolved with firmware updates.  Have you tried looking at the website to see if you have the latest firmware?  Auto update doesn't always have the latest.  In the US version 1034 is the latest

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2015-led-smart-tv-j52xx-series

- Model : J53xx, J52xx, J43xx
- Version : 1034.0
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

FrostByte

@@FrostByte Just checked my tv and the firmware is at 1035 ?

Strange, the website is usually ahead of the auto server.  Well, I was hoping from the description of the fixes that maybe it would help, but it looks like you already have the latest.

SamES

There was a similar issue that affected the Orsay version that we fixed, I'm wondering if this is similar. J series seems to have some similar quirks to orsay from what I've seen.

• Like 1

FrostByte

There was a similar issue that affected the Orsay version that we fixed, I'm wondering if this is similar. J series seems to have some similar quirks to orsay from what I've seen.

Sounds good.  When the J-series first came out they could run both Orsay and Tizen apps (I believe a firmware update disabled that though after the first year) so I wouldn't doubt they have similar issues.  I'm sure you'll figure it out.

My K-series doesn't have the issue

SamES

I've done some testing in the J-series emulator (which is never perfect).  Volume and related OSD appears to work as expected.  I've tried manually handling the volume/mute keys which is what we had to do for Orsay but it was worse not better.  Unfortunately I have no better way of testing that.

As no-one else has report this, I'm interested to know if anyone else is seeing this on J-series?

In the TV audio settings, is there any automatic volume that should be turned on or off?

NeauxGeaux

@@SamES thanks for digging into it.  There is an "auto volume" setting, which is turned off.

I would definitely love to know if anyone else is having this volume overlay issue!

201reyes

@@SamES thanks for digging into it.  There is an "auto volume" setting, which is turned off.

I would definitely love to know if anyone else is having this volume overlay issue!

I have the volume overlay issue on my J52xx series samsung as well.

• Like 1

NeauxGeaux

I have the volume overlay issue on my J52xx series samsung as well.

Interesting. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

SamES

Just going out on a limb here, are we sure this model is Tizen and not Orsay?  We have this exact problem (and a fix) for Orsay.  In Tizen there is no control over the OSD like there is in Orsay which makes me suspicious.

According to this product matrix (which we know to have been somewhat inaccurate in the past) the J5300 is Orsay so possibly this is also the case for J5200

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/tv-model-lineup

post-4189-0-58289300-1498908542_thumb.png

In your original post you mention not the side-loaded.  Did you ever run the side-loaded app?  If you did then your TV is definitely Orsay (same as the side-loaded version).

Edited by SamES
  • Like 2

SamES

Are you able to determine what version number the app is from the apps hub page?  This will help us narrow it down as Tizen and Orsay have different release numbering.

• Like 1

NeauxGeaux

Prior to the app being released for this model in the App Store, I was using the side-loaded app.

App Info:

Version 0.105 (updated 2017-06-23)

I believe that is the latest version.

SamES

Thanks, that means it is Orsay. The next release should fix this issue.

• Like 2

A 0.106 update has launched. Please try it out and let us know if it resolves your issue, thanks.

medric

I have the 

Samsung UN32H5500

and i have updated the official app and my fireware is the current ver and still have the volume issue as well as the app kicking me out randomly

• 3 weeks later...
NeauxGeaux

@@SamES and @@Luke

Still having the same issues regarding the volume overlay not appearing. As medric said, I've also been kicked out randomly a couple of times (maybe twice) since this new update.

FrostByte

@@SamES and @@Luke

Still having the same issues regarding the volume overlay not appearing. As medric said, I've also been kicked out randomly a couple of times (maybe twice) since this new update.

Are you on v107 now?  That came out since Luke's post above.

Edited by FrostByte