Cannot connect to Emby server

tre4b

Hi There,

So Emby has been running sweet as a nut for some time.  I was really happy when the PVR functions found their way into the Fire App.  Might have known that something would go wrong though.

Today the Qnap had a new firmware update that turned out to be 4.3.3.  Great thought I as I have been meaning to look at VPNs etc and this version sounded useful.  I ran the firmware through thinking I'll have a play with the VPNs tonight.  Alas I am actually playing with Emby which now totally refuses to connect.  I suspect that something in the new firmware is disagreeing with it, I just can't figure out what.  I can't look at the logs as I cannot figure out where they are without being able to go into the system to do it.

Please can someone point me in the right direction as to what to do next.

Trevor

I'm actually pretty sure It is not.  I can't find any "emby" named processes however I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.  I've never had Emby not just run so I've never bothered to look at what the processes are called.  Similarly I've always found the logs via the info on the admin screen so without it running I don't know where to look.   All of which is a testament to its usual reliability. 

Gut feeling is the firmware update has done something.  I noted one of the first things it did was force an update of some apps for compatibility reasons.  I wonder if Emby's build has the same issue? 

samwise78

Had a similar issue after upgrading to 4.3.3

Resolved as follows..

Uninstalled old qmono and updated to 4.8.0.520 (as 4.3.3 is x64 of course)

Browsed to App Center, manually stopped and restarted Emby from there.

Was then able to start Emby from the desktop shortcut..

HTH

Sam

Ah, I did wonder about QMono, then chickened out of changing it 'cos I had some issues a long time ago.  Where did you go to for the 4.8.520?

Ah, found it on a french site.  Got an english link just in case.

Loaded anyway and run, now I have an Emby process sitting there which is positive.  I'm not setup to view from here yet as I lost my router password and had to reset it so I lost all the firewall rules :-(  I will give it a try when I get home though it looks like you may have solved my problem for me.

samwise78

Thanks, got mine running with 4.6.2.7 qmono

Glad to hear that, I've got the QNAPClub app repository defined on my TS-453A so once I'd uninstalled the "old" version of Qmono, 4.8.0.520 was listed as available to install.

Figured I'd use that as it's x64..

I also updated to the latest x86_x64 (17/04/17 git) build of ffmpeg from https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Haven't noticed any radical improvements - nor any issues, so all is well here after jumping to x64 4.3.3

Cheers

Sam

JERRY1

Got home today had to restart emby in order to use it...so something still not right.

We all know qnap is the culprit in all of this , cannot get a peep out of them.

Edited by JERRY1

samwise78

Got home today had to restart emby in order to use it...so something still not right.

We all know qnap is the culprit in all of this , cannot get a peep out of them.

After reporting all was well, had the same thing happen when I got home..

Attempting to start Emby from either my QNAP Desktop shortcut or from App Center direct was trying to open:

http://x.x.x.x:8096/mediabrowser

(This wasn't happening before the update to 4.3.3)

Quick update via the QNAPClub repo to 3.2.13.0 and correct page is opening again:

http://x.x.x.x:8096/emby/web/home.html

Will monitor for any recurrence..

Cheers

Sam

Curious, mine did it's thing with Tuners today.  If I try to tune to a duff channel that the Homerun has picked up it will fail and after that the server needs restarting or it will not pick up TV again.

This time when I did the restart I also decided to restart the QNAP.  When it came back up it did not start the Emby server.  It actually took three manual attempts before it started, and once it did it has worked well since.  I suspect that QNAP embedded some other snafus in 4.3.3 for us to find out about.

JERRY1

What i have notice now if the qnap machine is turn off, when turn on cannot  connect unless you restart emby

in the qnap app center

Edited by JERRY1

samwise78

Not sure whether Emby services failing to automatically start after a reboot/power down of the NAS would need looking at by Luke or by Stephane over on the QNAP forums.

Both communities are very supportive and responsive in my experience, so if something does need fixing it will happen..

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109476&sid=58dc34068b3c737be3072afbb1c018da 

HTH

Sam

Right now the QNAP forum. Our plan is to take over release of the package and then at that point it will be easier for us to help troubleshoot it every step of the way. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hgewald

Hello,

I was late with the update to 4.3.3...

Now the following happens:

The emby server ony starts once. If  I want to access the server via the emby Android or Samsung App on the next day (my NAS shuts down over night), i.e. after the 2nd start it cannot access the server.

Workaround:

I stop emby server (3.2.19), I stop Qmono (4.8.1.0).

ThenI start Qmono again and start emby again. Everything qorks just fine.

That does not seem right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

H.

@@hgewald, when the problem occurs, what exactly do you mean by cannot access the server? what exactly happens? thanks.

hgewald

I upgraded to emby 3.2.20 but the problem persists.

Whenever I shut down the emby server it does not properly start up again until I restart QMondo...