Emby Server, Emby Theater - Support Kodi <discstub> Custom Message and Title Data

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

Somewhat related to this prior request ( https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44010-emby-theater-external-player-custom-messages-particularly-for-media-stubs-and-tags/ ) it would be nifty and useful to add support for the Kodi Media Stub embedded data, which would then be displayed when a user tries to Play a Media Stub item.

From http://kodi.wiki/view/media_stubs

When you try to play a media stub file, Kodi will present a dialog box with the static message, "Please insert the following disc:", on the first line and the item's library title on the second line. An Eject/Load button is available to open the optical drive tray or, for a slot-loading drive, eject any currently inserted media. When a disc is inserted in the drive, the Play button is enabled and selecting it will begin playback of the disc.

You can also replace the title and/or add a custom message to be displayed when attempting to play a media stub file. This is accomplished by adding the following to the blank text file that is used for the stub:

<discstub>
  <title>Alternative Title</title>
  <message>Message to be displayed</message>
</discstub>

This message will be displayed on the third line of the dialog box. You may use this message to provide additional information, such as the disc number/side to be inserted or, if you use a special numbering scheme for organizing your DVD/Bluray collection, the location number of the expected disc.

Thanks!

:)

PS - If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

funwithmedia

It has occurred to me that this actually could provide a way for me to address several things I've been trying to find a way (within Emby's existing structure and functionality) to accomplish. For example, my Media Stubs that are for Online Movies (eg, Disney Movies Anywhere, Vudu, iTunes, etc.) would benefit from this functionality because I could indicate in the <message> which online provider(s) the movie was available in.

• 6 months later...
funwithmedia

Just bumping this so folks have a chance to see it. I use Media Stubs a fair bit, for DVD's I've not ripped yet, but especially for all of my online content (eg, movies on services like VUDU, iTunes, etc.). Adding support for the Kodi <discstub> schema would be very useful to me as I could then indicate which online service the movie was located in (or where to find my DVD/Blu-ray, in the case of an unripped disc).

If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" the top/first post! :)

• 4 months later...

This would be useful for me as well. I have a lot of offline content on numbered discs. I currently make a small video file for each movie or tv episode instead of the stub file. The video file has a background image of the movies or tv show with a text overlay message saying which disc the media is on.

• 4 months later...
funwithmedia

I realize there's probably not huge demand for this feature, but I still hope to see it implemented some day. :)

• 10 months later...
will74

I just want to throw my hat into the ring as someone who would be very interested in there being specific media stubs (or media flags?) setup for different streaming media services (i.e. Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Video, etc).

I've read around the forum about the different discussions that have gone on about ways to set things up so that you could press play and open the app e.g. Vudu directly from Emby, and while this would be nice, it seems like it would be more complicated than it's worth. And adding a custom message for these when you press "play" would also be nice, but that's also more complicated than I think is necessary.

One of the ways I personally use Emby (I think similar to funwithmedia) is to start my search for what I'd like to watch out of all the content that I own (both my library of local files as well as movies I own through other services listed above). Then from there either watch the movie in Emby, or I navigate to the app where I own the movie and watch it there. Other's have pointed out that this isn't an optimal solution, which is true, but it's a much better solution than going through a list of movies in 4 different apps to select the movie I want to watch or just forgetting that I own certain movies.

Right now, I have the movies that I own in streaming services arbitrarily named with media flags like .bluray.disc, which makes the movie show up in Emby with no "header" above it (as can be seen in the screenshot below with the movie Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In comparison to the other movies showing Blu-ray, 4k and DVD, it would be nice to be able to have a header similar to that that says "Vudu", or "Amazon" or something like that. It would also be a nice visual cue that you'll have to switch apps to watch that movie.

5d31e90113aa4_ScreenShot20190719at115559

As far as I can tell, this feature would just be an extension of the "Media flags" feature listed here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Media-stubs. In addition to .dvd, .bluray and .vhs (e.g. Movie1.dvd.disc, Movie2.bluray.disc, Movie3.vhs.disc), there could be .vudu, .amzn, gplay, etc (e.g. Movie1.vudu.stream, Movie2.amzn.stream, Movie3.gplay.stream, etc).

Please correct me if i'm missing something, but it seems like that could be a pretty quick and easy fix to continue to bring the Media stubs/flags feature in Emby up to date.

• Like 2

funwithmedia

I just want to throw my hat into the ring as someone who would be very interested in there being specific media stubs (or media flags?) setup for different streaming media services (i.e. Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play Video, etc).

I've read around the forum about the different discussions that have gone on about ways to set things up so that you could press play and open the app e.g. Vudu directly from Emby, and while this would be nice, it seems like it would be more complicated than it's worth. And adding a custom message for these when you press "play" would also be nice, but that's also more complicated than I think is necessary.

One of the ways I personally use Emby (I think similar to funwithmedia) is to start my search for what I'd like to watch out of all the content that I own (both my library of local files as well as movies I own through other services listed above). Then from there either watch the movie in Emby, or I navigate to the app where I own the movie and watch it there. Other's have pointed out that this isn't an optimal solution, which is true, but it's a much better solution than going through a list of movies in 4 different apps to select the movie I want to watch or just forgetting that I own certain movies.

Right now, I have the movies that I own in streaming services arbitrarily named with media flags like .bluray.disc, which makes the movie show up in Emby with no "header" above it (as can be seen in the screenshot below with the movie Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In comparison to the other movies showing Blu-ray, 4k and DVD, it would be nice to be able to have a header similar to that that says "Vudu", or "Amazon" or something like that. It would also be a nice visual cue that you'll have to switch apps to watch that movie.

As far as I can tell, this feature would just be an extension of the "Media flags" feature listed here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Media-stubs. In addition to .dvd, .bluray and .vhs (e.g. Movie1.dvd.disc, Movie2.bluray.disc, Movie3.vhs.disc), there could be .vudu, .amzn, gplay, etc (e.g. Movie1.vudu.stream, Movie2.amzn.stream, Movie3.gplay.stream, etc).

Please correct me if i'm missing something, but it seems like that could be a pretty quick and easy fix to continue to bring the Media stubs/flags feature in Emby up to date.

Thanks for the support/interest!! Have a look at (and vote for) the following post which more closely relates to what you and I are wanting:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44012-emby-server-and-emby-theater-support-for-custom-media-stubs-andor-an-online-media-stubs-andor-filename-string-matching-for-external-player/