How do you rip and watch 3D Blu Ray movies

OmegaWulf

OmegaWulf

So, this past weekend I did some research on how to rip and play 3D Blu Ray movies from my Emby server and I'm just as confused as I was before searching. I'm hoping someone in the forums can shed some light for me.

First off, do I need a 3D Blu Ray player just to rip 3D movies?  I have a Blu Ray drive, but its not 3D.  If I need a 3D drive just to rip 3D movies then the rest of my questions are moot.  However, I have successfully been able to rip 3D movies with MakeMKV but they only play in 2D.  Which leads me to my next question...

What do I need to PLAY 3D ripped movies, software and hardware wise?  As I said, I have been able to both rip 3D movies to mkv and also original disc format ('copy and paste,' so to speak).  My computer is less than 6 months old and I have quad cores, 64GB RAM and a upper tier video card that is "VR ready."  I have it connected to a 3D ready TV which I have used to watch 3D movies with my stand-alone 3d blu ray player. I also have Kodi installed for Emby.  Even with Kodi reading the movie directly off my PC instead of the Emby server, it still won't play in 3D, just 2D.  Kodi seems to think it is 3D-it shows the little 3D glasses icon--but playback is 2D.  Am I missing some special codec?

Finally, if I already have all I need, what settings to I need to set to make it work?  Kodi allows you to change the 3D format, but the options are odd and don't seem compatible with modern 3D movies.  For example, you can do red/green but that's, like, for 1950's era 3D movies.  Or you can do side by side, but that just shows the movie in two boxes side by side.  Maybe that's meant for VR, I dunno.  There's also top and bottom--I have no idea what that's for!

Tur0k

3D Tvs have options for rendering side by side top/bottom etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

OmegaWulf

K...wasn't expecting that.  I checked my TV and it does have that option.  But I don't know how that helps.It seems I'm still just seeing two videos side by side, same as in Kodi. 

Guest asrequested

The player has to support them. What app are you using? Your best bet is theater desktop. It's getting an overhaul, right now, but I believe mpv (new player of ET) will support them.

Logos302

don't you also need a video card that understands this, as well as the correct cable HDMI ver.x?  don't have a 3dtv so never looks into it.  Maybe one day unless of course it disappears.  

edit : cause I thought what the hell lets looks a little closer.  You should be able to hit a button on your TV remote labeled 3d and that should trigger it to take the sxs mode and "change" it to 3d for you.  

Edited by Logos302

ShoutingMan

You need the 3D content from your purchased blu-ray. MakeMKV does not do this by default. You need to customize your settings to include:

+sel:mvcvideo

You need a 3D display (which you have). You need a computer that can output 3D. An Intel 6th gen CPU i3/i5/i7 with integrated graphics will do this, so presumably any high-end PC with VR-capable GPU can too.

You need playback software that can play 3D. Emby Theater does not. There are threads here on this topic, including one by me. My solution is Cyberlink PowerDVD 16.

That sounds like a lot, but if all the pieces are compliant then it should just work. :)

OmegaWulf

Ohh, ok. Seems I'm screwed from the beginning by not setting MakeMKV up to rip the 3D content.  Doesn't matter what player I use, if that wasn't done!  But does the Blu Ray drive I"m using with MakeMKV have to be a 3D drive as well? 

OmegaWulf

Well, I tried the side by side last night by setting both the TV and Koki player to that.  And while iit worked by displaying an image, it still wasn't 3D when I put my 3D glasses on.  The only thing that was 3D was the interface for Kodi, which was kinda cool.  But the actual movies attempted wasn't 3D. 

And I couldn't find any "+sel:mvcvideo" setting in MakeMKV.  I did find one posting on the Internet that stated all you need to do to rip the 3D was check the box in MakeMKV that shows 'MVC 3D' when choosing the files to rip from the disc, so I did that.  Still, no 3D.

• 6 months later...
naeonline

Well, I tried the side by side last night by setting both the TV and Koki player to that.  And while iit worked by displaying an image, it still wasn't 3D when I put my 3D glasses on.  The only thing that was 3D was the interface for Kodi, which was kinda cool.  But the actual movies attempted wasn't 3D. 

And I couldn't find any "+sel:mvcvideo" setting in MakeMKV.  I did find one posting on the Internet that stated all you need to do to rip the 3D was check the box in MakeMKV that shows 'MVC 3D' when choosing the files to rip from the disc, so I did that.  Still, no 3D.

In MakeMKV go to View->Preferences; General Tab; Check 'Expert Mode'

An 'Advanced' tab will now show, select that tab

Select the profile in the drop-down menu and on the line underneath is where you add in the '+sel:mvcvideo' (no quotes)

I have mine set to '+sel:all' but i've never ripped a 3D movie so i'm not sure, but that should allow you to select 3d automatically as well

naeonline

I do have a 3D movie.  Something like this should show up if you expand the title.  and the +sel:all does indeed select it.

59efb4d2b187b_Capture.png

ShoutingMan

Did you get this sorted out? I completely missed your posts in this thread. 

• 2 years later...

Emby detects that is a 3d movie but when I hit play it only plays the 2d file. I thought in the pre playback menu it will have an option to choose 3d ssif file currently it only shows 1080p H264.  

The folder structure is BDMV\Stream\SSIF 

Stream folder has m2ts files and the ssif folder has ssif files

Edited by denz

Emby detects that is a 3d movie but when I hit play it only plays the 2d file. I thought in the pre playback menu it will have an option to choose 3d ssif file currently it only shows 1080p H264.  

The folder structure is BDMV\Stream\SSIF 

Stream folder has m2ts files and the ssif folder has ssif files

I would suggest converting that to mkv.