Choppy playback at 25fps but not 29.97

nortok00
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

That's a good point @@Happy2Play. I didn't look at the logs after playing the avi's. I will load one of them up again and play it then will play the mp4 version and provide the log files to you in case you want to look (I'm sure you can better interpret the log files than I can).

@@Luke's suggestion of having a way to force the transcode is good. Personally I would rather have a message appear telling me it's a bad file because I rather fix the file than play a bad one. :-) Having said that for people who don't know how to fix a bad file (re-encode, etc.) and are stuck with a file like this it would be advantageous to have a way to force a transcode if that will allow it to play. Maybe a message could pop-up alerting it's bad and then the option to continue with a transcode. That would let me know I can fix it but someone like my father could continue on with trying to play it. I hate buggy files and would prefer to fix them. :-) As mentioned I usually test all of my files in VLC before adding them to Emby and since these mp4s played fine in VLC and the Win 10 native player I assumed all was fine.

As Ebr said, in this case there is no way to detect that. The Chrome video player is trying it's best to play the file. It's not raising any error messages that we can catch and react to.

I would not suggest using VLC for testing because VLC is designed to be highly resilient and will handle just about everything. Just because VLC can play it does not mean the browser video player will be able to.

nortok00

Totally understand about the difficulty you might face @@Luke and I guess, given the circumstances of these files, it's probably not even worth trying to do anything about it in so far as trying to do any detection to force a transcode. I will get the log files for the avi's and do a snippet of one of the files in case you're interested in seeing the before/after. Also... you're right about using VLC. I  will test in the browser from now on. :-)

Actually I meant to ask... is there a tool I can use to dissect the avi and the mp4 files to see what might've changed in the timing? Does mediainfo give this in one of the other views (like tree view)? I looked at some of the other views but couldn't see anything. As mentioned Avidemux gave that timing error but it's possible that's not even the issue,  however.... it more than likely is. I was looking for a way to see if timing information didn't get passed along or whether the actual audio/video somehow got out of sync with the container change but couldn't see a way to get this info with the tools I have.

I don't know about tools but you already got me a sample file that we used to test this personally, fyi.  We do already have automatic switching from direct to transcoding when an error occurs but in this case the video player is not reporting any error.

• 2 years later...
cptlores

Saying it is a corrupt file is a bit of a red herring I am afraid. The web player has had problems with direct playing 50 and 25 fps files for a long time now. Symptoms range from choppy playback (50fps) to stream freezing (25fps) after a while. Forcing a transcode helps with the stream freezing, but not the choppy part.

Edited by cptlores

The web player has had problems with direct playing 50 and 25 fps files for a long time now.

Hi.  You realize that "the web player" is just whatever video playing capability is built into whichever browser on whichever platform you happen to be using, right?

rbjtech

Saying it is a corrupt file is a bit of a red herring I am afraid. The web player has had problems with direct playing 50 and 25 fps files for a long time now. Symptoms range from choppy playback (50fps) to stream freezing (25fps) after a while. Forcing a transcode helps with the stream freezing, but not the choppy part.

I've not had any issues playing 25 fps (UK Broadcast standard) or 50 fps (newish BBC Iplayer 720p standard) at all via Emby Web ..  Are you using Chrome/Edge or Firefox ?   

rbjtech

The problem is your source file (I got it from dropbox).

- Original MP4 - jumps and skips as you say.

- Demuxed it and remuxed it using MP4box - now plays perfectly in a browser and directly in Windows 10 - no issues.

- Demuxed and remuxed to MKV - again plays fine (albeit at 90 degrees which is off).

So yes, the file is corrupt/bad I'm afraid.

A 1 minute fix - just demux and remux it.