Strange problem when loading movies with Wifi

DHCobbler

DHCobbler

Hey, I just wanna say that I love Media Browser, and it's been top notch.

I have a strange problem, and maybe someone can shed some light, and maybe even better, a fix.

I have my Roku 1 in my room upstairs, Unfortuanly, I don't get very good wifi signal, so to make this as a work around, I've used my laptop as a wifi hotspot, and everything is all fine.

The only problem is, MB doesn't load any movies, nor the box art, yet if I connect to my normal wifi which is downstairs, it's fine? I'm not sure why this is the case, as my laptop is connected to the one downstairs but to get the best signal, I have used laptop as a wifi spot for my phone, tablet.

Plex, which I use now and then works smoothly this way, but to be honest, the layout and the organisation of MB is so much better.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

DHCobbler

Okay, a quick update which seems to work. I didn't say in my OP, but I do have a homeplug, so I've connected my laptop to the homeplug, and set up the hotspot that way, and MB works, so.. if I have the hotspot based on my laptop connected as Wifi, it doesn't work with MB, but if I do have it connected via the homeplug, all is good.

I guess I've fixed my own problem. Ha!:)

Koleckai Silvestri

The laptop is going to get the same initial signal as the Roku did. Media files are large and require quite a bit of bandwidth. As you found out, better networking solves the problem. You used a homeplug power adapter and an adjunct wifi bridge. Running ethernet cable or using a wifi bridge to get better connections in the bedroom would also work.

Does it actually connect to the server when your on the hotspot? I'm thinking that maybe they end up being basically on two different networks. When connected directly to the wifi, it is connected to the main network that your server is on and it is connecting fine. When you connect it through the hotspot, that is also it's own network, but a separate one that while it may be connecting to the real network, it has created it's own. So when connected through that it isn't seeing the server and getting the data properly. Just an idea and not sure that is what is happening.