#21 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2106 posts
  • Local time: 03:42 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

I tried this new hoping for live tv to start faster but it is so slow it takes nearly double time then the normal emby theater which is way too slow compared to wmc etc. What I noticed is that on the osd before it starts sometimes there is already five seconds on the timer before the screen shows very disappointed was hoping that live tv switch times can be improved if it is going to be used in my household.  Everything else plays but it is definitely slower to start than normal emby theater

#22 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts
  • Local time: 12:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:22 PM

Live tv start is about the same, for me. I think that is more to do with the server than theater. As it's to do with the server hand-off.

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131524 posts
  • Local time: 03:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

I tried this new hoping for live tv to start faster but it is so slow it takes nearly double time then the normal emby theater which is way too slow compared to wmc etc. What I noticed is that on the osd before it starts sometimes there is already five seconds on the timer before the screen shows very disappointed was hoping that live tv switch times can be improved if it is going to be used in my household.  Everything else plays but it is definitely slower to start than normal emby theater

Again, as stated earlier, nothing has been done for live tv. i haven't even looked at what method it is using for playing it.

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131524 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

@AdrianW have you tried this?

#25 jscoys OFFLINE  

jscoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1179 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

Hello guys and @Luke! Firstly, I'm so happy that the internal player for Emby Theatre will involve and improve final video playback experience in our living room. That is to say, improvement of quality, performance and stability! Nice job.

I tried the new ET MPV, and I think the quality is really higher. I haven't played with options (I have to find how to play with it...), but it's a good turn that ET is taking for next years, and I love that idea, so thanks!

BUT... Is MPV able to emulate 60 or 120 fps playback on our modern TVs with interpolations or other smooth playback Technics that we could find in MadVR or SVP software for instance? Because if it's not the case, this video player is useless (It's my opinion). Today our TVs are almost 120hz refresh rate and models with 240hz are coming (up to 120fps capability). Some software like Splash 2.0 (Commercial) - software I use today to watch all my movies in 60 fps on my 120hz TV -, SVP (Commercial) or MadVr (Open Source) understood this and implemented powerful Technics to improve picture quality and playback fluidity. Honestly, when you have experimented these kind of software, it's not possible to return back to a basic software that doesn't apply some of these filters... that's why we were so numerous to beg for the external player options into the new ET at the beginning...

I think ET is becoming better every day, and that today it could replace easily other Media Centers like WMC (deprecated) or XBMC/Kodi or even Plex! But it needs to be equipped with an awesome internal player, ready for the next movie playback for today and next TVs generation (240hz 4K). IMO again (Don't want to hurt anyone), watching movies at 25 or 30fps is already obsolete today for HTPCs...

Edited by jscoys, 14 April 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#26 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Is MPV able to emulate 60 or 120 fps playback on our modern TVs with interpolations or other smooth playback Technics that we could find in MadVR or SVP software for instance? Because if it's not the case, this video player is useless (It's my opinion). Today our TVs are almost 120hz refresh rate and models with 240hz are coming (up to 120fps capability). Some software like Splash 2.0 (Commercial) - software I use today to watch all my movies in 60 fps on my 120hz TV -, SVP (Commercial) or MadVr (Open Source) understood this and implemented powerful Technics to improve picture quality and playback fluidity. Honestly, when you have experimented these kind of software, it's not possible to return back to a basic software that doesn't apply some of these filters... that's why we were so numerous to beg for the external player options into the new ET at the beginning...

I think ET is becoming better every day, and that today it could replace easily other Media Centers like WMC (deprecated) or XBMC/Kodi or even Plex! But it needs to be equipped with an awesome internal player, ready for the next movie playback for today and next TVs generation (240hz 4K). IMO again (Don't want to hurt anyone), watching movies at 25 or 30fps is already obsolete today for HTPCs...

You can see all it's possibilities at the link, Luke provided. But this may answer you question

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#video

58f17ec0e9b7e_Snapshot_7.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 14 April 2017 - 10:01 PM.

#27 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

It looks like there is some great possibilities for that

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#tv

#28 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131524 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

I think mpv has many of the same features as madvr, we just need to learn how to activate them.

• jscoys likes this

#29 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

I think mpv has many of the same features as madvr, we just need to learn how to activate them.

I agree.

https://mpv.io/manua.../#video-filters

#30 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131524 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

If you really want to tinker you can download mpv and play with it over the command line. Then once you discover certain things, let me know what they are and we can look at making settings for them.

#31 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

If you really want to tinker you can download mpv and play with it over the command line. Then once you discover certain things, let me know what they are and we can look at making settings for them.

I may give that a try. I'm not much of a command line guru. One thing you should definitely make a setting for, is color range

58f185184df61_Snapshot_8.jpg

#32 puithove OFFLINE  

puithove

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

Playing around with mpv on the commandline now.  Just streaming from my HDHR directly via:

mpv --deinterlace=yes -vf=gradfun http://x.x.x.x:5004/auto/v940

One thing you'll want to do that won't even need a configurable setting - you'll want to add --deinterlace=yes.  I'd say add that to the commandline if doing direct play (if you're transcoding of course it's deinterlaced at the server as part of the transcode) any time you're starting a LiveTV stream, and also for any library content that has been flagged as being interlaced media.  Don't even try to detect interlaced on LiveTV, just assume it is - that way do away with the chance of incorrectly missing interlaced content.  Since mpv is using yadif, it'll only actually deinterlace those frames that need it.

I'd like to see gradfun as a configurable option.  This is for reducing banding artifacts in smooth gradients.  At least have the ability to enable it at its default setting "-vf=gradfun", but it'd be cool to be able to configure its options as well:

gradfun[=strength[:radius|:size=<size>]]

And I agree with Doofus on the color range selection.

Edited by puithove, 15 April 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#33 jscoys OFFLINE  

jscoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1179 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

@Luke : can we create the mpv.conf and add options in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

So I'll confess to not knowing how to access/use the command line for mpv. But audio passthrough is obviously needed. I think a config file needs to be created, for this. Then add the codecs to the list.

58f24f91c0861_Snapshot_10.jpg

And on the audio settings, I would like this to be an option, as using WASAPI can be preferable.

58f24fee2fa83_Snapshot_11.jpg

#35 Latchmor OFFLINE  

Latchmor

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1601 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

So I'll confess to not knowing how to access/use the command line for mpv.

Hi, I downloaded mpv from here: https://sourceforge....-windows/files/

Extracted to a folder. Opened a command prompt from that folder (Shift+Right Click in the folder > Open command window here)

Run mpv with your options above: mpv --audio-spdif=ac3,dts --audio-exclusive=yes loadfile "Z:\Films\Entrapment (1999)\Entrapment (1999).mp4"

• CBers likes this

#36 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Hi, I downloaded mpv from here: https://sourceforge....-windows/files/

Extracted to a folder. Opened a command prompt from that folder (Shift+Right Click in the folder > Open command window here)

Run mpv with your options above: mpv --audio-spdif=ac3,dts --audio-exclusive=yes loadfile "Z:\Films\Entrapment (1999)\Entrapment (1999).mp4"

Awesome! Thank you! That worked, perfectly.

• Latchmor likes this

#37 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Successful test playback of TrueHd/Atmos, AC3 and DTS. And it looks like it always chooses WASAPI.

H:\Downloads\mpv>mpv --audio-spdif=ac3,dts,truehd  --audio-exclusive=no "W:\Movies\Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice (extended) (2016)\Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice (extended) (2016).mkv"
Playing: W:\Movies\Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice (extended) (2016)\Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice (extended) (2016).mkv
 (+) Video --vid=1 'Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice EXTENDED' (h264 1920x1080 23.976fps)
 (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) 'Atmos 7.1' (truehd 8ch 48000Hz)
     Audio --aid=2 --alang=eng 'DTS-HD MA 7.1' (dts 8ch 48000Hz)
     Audio --aid=3 --alang=eng 'Dolby Digital 5.1' (ac3 6ch 48000Hz)
File tags:
 Title: Batman.v.Superman.Dawn.of.Justice.2016.EXTENDED.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos
VO: [opengl] 1920x1080 yuv420p
AO: [wasapi] 192000Hz 7.1 8ch spdif-truehd
AV: 00:00:28 / 03:02:33 (0%) A-V:  0.001 Cache: 10s+73MB

Edited by Doofus, 15 April 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#38 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131524 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

Yea we are going to move full steam ahead with mpv. There are just too many issues with directshow that are taking too much time to debug. And despite our efforts to self-contain everything, the directshow player is still prone to failure due to external factors such as graphics drivers, other software, etc. It may have been the best choice three years ago but there are better options now. Thanks guys.

• jscoys and Doofus like this

#39 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to help with some of those issues. I think mpv is going to be great!

#40 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11479 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Just tried playing a folder rip BD. Playback starts, but skipping position brings playback to a halt, just black screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users