3952 replies to this topic

#1 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts
  • Local time: 05:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

If interested, please try this test version of Theater using a new video player called mpv:

https://emby.media/download.html

Test Version

https://www.dropbox....heater.zip?dl=0

• SikSlayer, buddyweiser, Doofus and 1 other like this

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

If you find that MPV does not perform well, take a look at all of the available developer options. We may need to explicitly turn on things like:

• Hardware decoding
  • HD audio passthrough

These two topics haven't been explored yet so I'm not yet sure if we need to explicitly enable them (we probably do).

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

For Live TV, this is going to allow us to easily support Live TV seeking, whereas DirectShow/LavFilters are just not built for that sort of thing. Of course it is possible to add them into the current video player but it would require us to spend a significant amount of time writing code in areas we'd rather not get involved in.

#4 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts
  • Local time: 02:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

I look forward to testing this, tonight :D

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Live tv seeking won't work yet, but the player supports the features we need. I may have to post another new build with hardware acceleration enabled. I haven't even looked at the api for it yet.

#6 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'll take a look at CPU/GPU usage on different mediums. My HTPC CPU is much stronger than most others, so I'll post screenshots for others to compare with. Maybe I should wait to test with a build that has HWA enabled?

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

If you read the notes in the Video section, I think I would like to just use the -auto option for gpu acceleration, that way we can avoid having to make the user pick the type of hardware acceleration, since they may not always know the answer.

Then we could have a setting in the app to use -auto_copy instead, because I think those who have more powerful systems may prefer that.

See the notes about that in 

Quality reduction with hardware decoding

#8 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

That's interesting that it says DXVA2 isn't safe. I'm just concerned that without HWA, HEVC decoding will be a problem for most. But it looks like there are some other good options that are available. I'll put it through its paces, tonight.

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

well nobody's saying anything about not having hwa.

#10 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yep, that came out wrong. I was more referring to the test build, and seeing how well it works. But I guess we'll get to that.

#11 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

OK, just a quick testing....EXCELLENT playback. Even for an HEVC file, and using very little CPU power. At least not with mine. It starts instantly, I can skip around with the progress bar with no picture breakup or pausing of the playback. Live tv plays well, too. I'm going to play around with it a bit more

Edited by Doofus, 12 April 2017 - 09:21 PM.

• Latchmor likes this

#12 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

I've thrown a wide range of files at it, and it hasn't hiccuped, once. Of course I can't test the audio bitstreaming, but it plays, perfectly, at this point.

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

Excellent, well that is good news, thanks !

#14 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

But it looks like its messed up my playback on my installed Theater. I can't get it to start playing anything. I'll reinstall it

Update:

I hadn't killed all the MPV processes that were running. 

Edited by Doofus, 12 April 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#15 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

One issue I found, but it maybe the build and not mpv, is if I have a music file playing then try playing a movie without stopping the music, first, then I can't play anything and have to restart the app.

#16 Latchmor OFFLINE  

Latchmor

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1601 posts
  • Local time: 10:26 AM
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

I ran a few quick tests late last night and the 4 or 5 different files/formats I tried played without a hiccup too.

#17 puithove OFFLINE  

puithove

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

Definitely intrigued.  I've used mpv quite a bit for other purposes and it's seemed to work well.  Going that direction would almost certainly decrease your code maintenance.  Some (perhaps myself included) would likely mourn the loss of madVR - mpv does have some quality scaling algorithms (and other rendering options) though not to the level of madVR.

If it can get rid of some of the other DirectShow wonkiness though, I could certainly get behind it.  I recommend spending the time to allow advanced users the ability to adjust advanced settings in mpv (like selecting filters - especially deinterlacing type, scaling, etc) - even if through config files, if not built into the interface.

One other benefit is that would allow you to use the same player on other platforms that ET supports.

I just gave it a quick test on my Surface Pro 3 (low powered device) and it seemed to do fine with the media I threw at it.

#18 daedalus OFFLINE  

daedalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 969 posts
  • Local time: 11:26 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

hope this doesn't mean that lav/madvr will get kicked out completly

#19 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

Definitely intrigued.  I've used mpv quite a bit for other purposes and it's seemed to work well.  Going that direction would almost certainly decrease your code maintenance.  Some (perhaps myself included) would likely mourn the loss of madVR - mpv does have some quality scaling algorithms (and other rendering options) though not to the level of madVR.

If it can get rid of some of the other DirectShow wonkiness though, I could certainly get behind it.  I recommend spending the time to allow advanced users the ability to adjust advanced settings in mpv (like selecting filters - especially deinterlacing type, scaling, etc) - even if through config files, if not built into the interface.

One other benefit is that would allow you to use the same player on other platforms that ET supports.

I just gave it a quick test on my Surface Pro 3 (low powered device) and it seemed to do fine with the media I threw at it.

There would be some negative reaction about that, but many more who will rejoice over the new and improved performance.

#20 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11341 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

There would be some negative reaction about that, but many more who will rejoice over the new and improved performance.

If you get rid of MadVR, there'll be a lot of people not liking that. I'd recommend allowing comparative settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users