Emby Theater (plus other apps) - Button to Display Backdrop Video/Image

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

I think I've seen comments here and there regarding people not liking how Backdrops (still images, or videos) are partially obscured. I'm not sure yet what my opinion is on that (though I think I lean towards being fine with the partial fade/gradient). But as I'm starting to experiment with using video Backdrops it has occurred to me that it would be useful if there were an icon that appeared when a video backdrop is playing, similar to how things work with an Audio Theme file, that in this case would enable the user to fully display the video backdrop (either through temporarily hiding the main content that is obscuring the video, or by displaying the video in a full screen video mode -- I lean towards the first option personally). Similarly, having a button (it could be the same button/icon) that enables one to display the still-image backdrop could be nifty.

Perhaps the icon could be a film cell / film strip?

http://www.scenebank.com/filmstriponecell.jpg

And maybe if a video Backdrop is playing the icon could have a "play" arrow inside it?

https://us.123rf.com/450wm/blankstock/blankstock1407/blankstock140702315/30042947-video-sign-icon-video-frame-symbol-seamless-grid-lines-texture-cells-repeating-pattern-white-texture.jpg?ver=6

In general I like the aesthetics of Emby Theater, but it would be cool to have a way to better view / appreciate / enjoy video and static Backrops, while still having them default to being in the background (as they should be), until called for by a user action for better/fuller viewing.

Edit: What about a user setting that enables the poster, text, etc. to all fade away automatically when there is no mouse or keyboard activity for a set time (eg, 5 seconds) when there is a video backdrop playing, and everything fades back in if you move the mouse or navigate via keypress commands? With something like that the experience for items with a video backdrop would be that you'd enter the item, the video backdrop would begin playing as the poster, text, etc. fades away, and only if you move the mouse, activate a keypress, etc. would everything fade back in (while the video backdrop continues to play until finished, but just obscured again). And if you are not moving the mouse or activating a keypress for a set amount (eg, 5 seconds?) then everything fade away again to reveal the video backdrop (if it is still playing). The assumption being that if you're bothering to use video backdrops, then you probably want to see them, and so starting with the video backdrop as soon as you enter the detail screen makes sense, and then you can always move the mouse, activate a keypress to bring everything back in order to navigate to buttons, etc.

:)

PS-If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

Edited by funwithmedia
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

Similar to a feature already in emby for WMC where we have a nowplaying icon that is displayed when something is actually playing

arrbee99

Would definitely prefer to see all (or more) of the background, which can be done in web browser, thanks to Happy2play and others tips but not in ET. Whether its an option for an individual item, or a general menu setting, or even a (slightly) hidden hotkey thingy am not bothered about.

• 1 year later...
funwithmedia

With the advent of the new blue theme ( https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59968-34116-new-blue-theme-option/ ), which I'm loving, I wanted to mention this feature request again. Particularly with a video backdrop it would be nice to able to see more of the video.

Actually, what about a setting that automatically fades out all the text (and other obscuring content) when there is a video backdrop playing, and everything fades back in if you move the mouse or navigate via keypress commands? With something like that the experience for items with a video backdrop would be that you'd enter the item, the video backdrop would begin playing as the poster, text, etc. fades away, and only if you move the mouse, activate a keypress, etc. would everything fade back in (while the video backdrop continues to play until finished, but just obscured again). And if you are not moving the mouse or activating a keypress for a set amount (eg, 5 seconds?) then everything fade away again to reveal the video backdrop (if it is still playing).

• Like 1

JDizzy

It is the actual 'mask' on top of the image/theme that allows you to see the text better that I don't like.

I have seen other Media Center software with the option to click an icon to view backdrop/video theme full screen without the text in foreground. It is a nice option.

I have also used Emby for Kodi and a skin where there was no mask and it seemed I could read the text just fine without it.

My idea, in addition to above,  would be to have a setting somewhere to allow the option of setting the opacity of the mask so you could have it more transparent.

The idea of having the mask fade out along with text would be a viable alternative too.

If I knew where in the code to look, I would customize it myself as I did with Kodi.

arrbee99

I also really like to see the background as more than a faint outline, but also sometimes feel a bit minimalist and occasionally like no background at all. Therefore would quite like a slider for the background ... 0 - 100 opacity, I guess.

...should I put this here or as a new Feature Request ?

• Like 2