Auto organize not working anymore

STiFU

Hi, since a week or so the auto organize feature has stopped working. Even when I click on "organize" manually in the web interface of the server configuration, Emby doesn't do anything. I suppose this feature was broken by an update? I am currently running 3.2.12.0 on Windows 7 x64. I bet the misbehaviour started with 3.2.11, but I can't say for sure. I have attached the server log of a freshly rebooted server after clicking manually on organize.

Here's to hoping this gets sorted out soon. I use this feature all the time!!

EmbyLog.txt

Ah, ok, looking through the log file, I found the issue myself:

2017-04-11 09:42:35.2408 Info App: Folder F:\Serien Raw is not eligible for auto-organize because it is also part of an Emby library

So the auto-organize watched folder may not be part of an Emby library. Why did you include this change? This definitely used to work. I have always found it quite useful, to be able to access files that couldn't be organized right away instantly through the Emby Server.

That's not what it was intended for and it was creating additional troubleshooting for us due to people doing that. The intended purpose of auto-organize is to have a watch folder outside of your library that can be used as a source to import new content from.

moviemadnessman

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46660-auto-organise-fails-to-run/ (*this link just for reference to the other recent tab)

But yeah ... this change is disappointing.  I understand it wasn't the intended function, but the problem is that since auto-organize doesn't do movies, having a "New Media" folder or a default save folder as a general library meant that movies and videos could be viewed in Emby, and then Autoorganize could be used to at least move the TV show episodes to the correct folders, while still allowing movies to be viewable.

For a little bit, this plugin even helped with organizing new movies (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35246-new-plugin-organize-movies-with-movieorganizer/), but even it no longer works with recent updates.  I feel that if the auto-organize folder is now forced to be excluded from being in the library currently, then maybe this plugin could be looked into getting rolled into Emby's auto-organize feature full time.

I didn't even notice it had changed until I got a couple new shows and wondered why they had not been organized to their correct folders yet;  Again, I understand why the change was made, but adding a movie organize feature (which has been shown to work) should be considered to accompany the change.

Just my two cents into the matter, for whatever they are worth.

We're going to move the entire auto-organize feature to a plugin and that point i'll give softworkz more freedom to do what he wants to do, like organize movies for example, although he will have to handle maintenance between server releases.

• Like 1

We're going to move the entire auto-organize feature to a plugin and that point i'll give softworkz more freedom to do what he wants to do, like organize movies for example, although he will have to handle maintenance between server releases.

Will we then be able to include the watch folder as a library? 

Honestly all you had to do was create a warning dialog when adding the watched folder as a library and vice versa that it may cause issues and to do so at your own risk, there will be no support for the choice. 

So far making this change caused more support related issues since now there is no hint to the problem unless you go into the log files and find it. There isn't even a pop up error when manually organizing, this was a sloppy change without warning.

• 3 weeks later...
Smok@zz

I understand this change and i am trying to work around it but even though i removed what was in the "watched folder" section, i still cannot get anything to auto organize.  Clicking the Organize button does nothing and scanning the library yields the same results.  Can you please clarify the new steps we need to take in order to get our media organized correctly?  Thank you.

post-22885-0-79594500-1493988014_thumb.jpg

Smok@zz

nevermind - i figured it out.  i needed to use network paths for the watched folder.  Sorry for the fire drill.

• 3 weeks later...
daedalus

since the old plugin isn't working for 2 month now, will this "new" plugin show up any time soon ?

• 2 months later...
ginjaninja

got it I had just updated and needed to refresh the page thanks

thanks, i also had to refresh the page F5 to get the plugin to show in catalogue.

• 1 month later...
Aeon604

broken on the FreeNAS plugin ever since the change, borked no matter how many permission changes are made to shares/volumes/etc. 

Even on a clean install on a new freenas shared library... does.  not.  work. 

Horrible, please roll back the whole goddamned thing.  Why was auto-organize ever spun off into being a separate plugin in the first place?  This should be considered core functionality like it used to be.   I'm an Emby Premiere lifetime member and I'm considering... shudder... switching to Plex out of sheer irritation.

Edited by Aeon604

broken on the FreeNAS plugin ever since the change, borked no matter how many permission changes are made to shares/volumes/etc. 

Even on a clean install on a new freenas shared library... does.  not.  work. 

Horrible, please roll back the whole goddamned thing.  Why was auto-organize ever spun off into being a separate plugin in the first place?  This should be considered core functionality like it used to be.   I'm an Emby Premiere lifetime member and I'm considering... shudder... switching to Plex out of sheer irritation.

Hi there, please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

While we're here I'd like to point out that auto-organize is a community addition, and contributions are welcome and encouraged. the source code for the plugin can be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.AutoOrganize

Thanks !