Suggestion for organizing

Shankbone

Shankbone

I have been using the Roku app for a short time now. I do love it over having a full HTPC in my bedroom, but the only thing that is a little annoying is that I have to scroll for days to get to TV shows or the movie I want (we have a huge library, as I am sure many users do). I see that there are plans for a search mechanism, but would think an ability to organize them by first letter might be easier. I'm not sure how I could search considering the device has no keyboard, and navigating a software keyboard with the Roku remote could be a pain. I am sure your folks are already on this, but didn't see a specific forum post on it.

You've all done amazing work on the various apps and capabilities. Keep up the great work!

Shankbone

I understand the letter based folder workaround. But I wouldn't want to impact how the MBClassic works on our other TVs, so changing at that level would be a bit of an issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I wonder if the enabling of a different way of displaying the files can be configured based on the client that is connecting, minimizing impact to other clients that may not need it. Just a thought. The fact that it works so well in general on my Roku makes me so happy. I'm really just looking to make my girlfriend not complain about having to scroll through so many TV shows when she wants to get to her garbage :P. I guess I could just set up a profile just for her crap. That would cut back on the amount of folders as well LOL. I can see her point of sorting through 700 shows for the 5-10 she watches being an issue, but we don't like to throw anything away :D

FrostByte

I just created media folders labeled A, B, C, D, etc under my movies folder and Roku is able to use these if configured in the media library.  Works well as a work around for now.

Koleckai Silvestri

I've created multiple media folders as well to create a work around. I also have a "New Movie" media folder. Anything new gets put here for 30 days before being moved to its proper place. Gives people time to watch it in a smaller list. 

Unfortunately right now there isn't anything built into the server that can support splitting out shows or movies by first letter. Eventually I'm sure it will be added and I'm sure it will be improved down the line. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah that would be my suggestion. Make a profile for her. Then you could setup either just her shows into a TV media folder or setup her shows within a smaller filtered ones (like a-f, g-k, etc.) and only include those letters shows within.

As soon as you need it, I'll be ready.

Yeah I know you can add it pretty quickly. I just have to get the time to implement new features again.