Unable to view Movie

OmegaWulf

OmegaWulf

Hello, I've searched the forums but could not find any postings with a similar problem.

I've got an Emby server setup just fine (Docker container on Ubuntu).  I read the wiki article on how to set up source directories for Movies and I noticed it stated that DVD and Blu-ray structures are supported:

Dvd and Blu-ray folder structures are also supported. To be recognized as a dvd structure, the folder must contain either a VIDEO_TS subfolder, or a VIDEO_TS.ifo file. To be recognized as a blu-ray structure, the folder must contain a BDMV subfolder.

No other info was given, so I just copied an entire DVD into my source library directory.  From the server side, everything looks fine; Embry appears to detect the movie and displays all the metadata just fine. However, when I go to play the movie, from a Windows 10 machine using both Firefox and Edge, I do not see any video.  The play timer counts up as if there's something playing but all I see is black.  Also, there is no sound but only a high pitched popping noise that appears every few seconds for a little while until even that sound is gone.

I could think of only two possibilities as to what is causing this.  The first is that there's some kind of copyright protection on the raw DVD files I copied from the DVD that require the physical DVD to be present for the video to run.  If so, how do I get around this?  Is there any kind of tool someone can recommend?  I would think this would be common but the wiki makes no mention of it.

The other option is that I'm missing some codec.  If so, can someone please tell me what codec is needed?

Deathsquirrel

Playback of disc-based structures using anything other than the HTPC clients is experimental.  I strongly recommend you look at converting those to MKV which will work with just about every client much more simply.

OmegaWulf

Thanks for your response.  What do you mean by "HTPC clients?"  Isn't that what Emby is?  Also, how did you find out it is experimental?  The wiki makes no mention of that.

Playing folder structures in a web browser requires server transcoding. The tools we use to perform the transcoding do not natively support folder structures, so that is why it is experimental. For best results, you'll want to either limit your playback to apps that fully support them, such as Emby for WMC, Emby for Kodi, etc., or convert to plain video files. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

OmegaWulf

Ah, ok.  If I understand you correctly, I need a front end software that can handle what the server is sending and a web browser just won't cut it?  So, by installing Emby for WMC or Kodi on the PC I want to watch movies from, this will work, correct? 

FYI, I just tried installing Emby for WMC and it would not install (on WIndows 10).  I get an error.  Error Executing - C:\WIndows\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation/entrypoint:(CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-Ad1D-CF47891DE0B2)\(FC0ABCCC-36CB-47ac-3BAB-03E8EF5F6F22)  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception.  The system cannot fine the file specified.

I tried the Stable Release from here:  https://emby.media/emby-for-windows-media-center.html

Ah, ok.  If I understand you correctly, I need a front end software that can handle what the server is sending and a web browser just won't cut it?  So, by installing Emby for WMC or Kodi on the PC I want to watch movies from, this will work, correct? 

FYI, I just tried installing Emby for WMC and it would not install (on WIndows 10).  I get an error.  Error Executing - C:\WIndows\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation/entrypoint:(CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-Ad1D-CF47891DE0B2)\(FC0ABCCC-36CB-47ac-3BAB-03E8EF5F6F22)  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception.  The system cannot fine the file specified.

I tried the Stable Release from here:  https://emby.media/emby-for-windows-media-center.html

Correct. Emby for WMC is a Windows Media Center plugin so you need Windows Media Center before you can use it. The Emby Theater desktop app is also an option. It's support for these folder structures is not quite as mature but it does support them without transcoding.

OmegaWulf

Ok, I installed Kodi, but it was a bit of a pain to get Emby for Kodi installed.  The directions on the Emby site are outdated, I think.  For example, there is no Install from zip option in Settings-->Add-Ons.  I had to Google "install add-ons for Kobi" for better instructions.

At any rate, I did get the add-on installed and was able to point to my Emby server within Kodi.  However, I still can't see the video.  I can hear it now, sound is fine, but I see no video.  When I click on the movie to watch, I'm asked for what audio stream to use, then what subtitles.  The movie starts because I can hear it, but I don't see anything. I can see the Kodi "now playing" icons but no video.  Only their blue background. 

JeremyFr79

Hello, I've searched the forums but could not find any postings with a similar problem.

I've got an Emby server setup just fine (Docker container on Ubuntu).  I read the wiki article on how to set up source directories for Movies and I noticed it stated that DVD and Blu-ray structures are supported:

Dvd and Blu-ray folder structures are also supported. To be recognized as a dvd structure, the folder must contain either a VIDEO_TS subfolder, or a VIDEO_TS.ifo file. To be recognized as a blu-ray structure, the folder must contain a BDMV subfolder.

No other info was given, so I just copied an entire DVD into my source library directory.  From the server side, everything looks fine; Embry appears to detect the movie and displays all the metadata just fine. However, when I go to play the movie, from a Windows 10 machine using both Firefox and Edge, I do not see any video.  The play timer counts up as if there's something playing but all I see is black.  Also, there is no sound but only a high pitched popping noise that appears every few seconds for a little while until even that sound is gone.

I could think of only two possibilities as to what is causing this.  The first is that there's some kind of copyright protection on the raw DVD files I copied from the DVD that require the physical DVD to be present for the video to run.  If so, how do I get around this?  Is there any kind of tool someone can recommend?  I would think this would be common but the wiki makes no mention of it.

The other option is that I'm missing some codec.  If so, can someone please tell me what codec is needed?

Sorry but I haven't seen this question asked yet......Am I to understand correctly that you simply 1.) inserted said DVD, 2.) copy/pasted the files from the DVD to your storage device and  3.) are now trying to play them???

If that is the case.  is this a "commercial" DVD i.e. store bought authentic movie DVD not one self made or already "pirated" in some way??

If so you won't be able to play anything back with first decrypting the content.

OmegaWulf

Jeremy,

You are absolutely correct.  It is the original movie DVD from my collection and I did a copy and paste.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the Emby wiki article on movie directory setup, which I quoted in my original post, was, "huh, I didn't know you could copy files straight off a DVD or Blu ray; I thought you had to 'rip' them."  So, I grabbed the first DVD I had within arm's reach, put it in my PC's DVD player, went to its directory and copy and pasted.  No problems.

But last night I tried a different DVD, an older one from 2000, and that wouldn't even let me copy the files.  I got an error that (at least) one of the files was encrypted, so it wouldn't copy.  I don't know why the first DVD copied fine but not the second, other than one is older and, so, maybe there's different technology involved?

At any rate, is there any software that can decrypt the content?  Yes, I know there is ripping software that will create a video file, but is there any that allows for keeping the original file/folder structure of the DVD?  I haven't been able to find any.  Which leads me to believe there isn't any.  If that's the case, then I'm confused as to why Emby even posts it can handle the DVD file structure.

funwithmedia

@@OmegaWulf, for ripping complete folder structure you could look for DVDDecrypter (DVD's only, and no longer developed) or AnyDVD (CloneDVD is useful to get with this one, but not strictly necessary), to name a few. I'm guessing we're probably not supposed to link to such things here in the forum, but hopefully it is okay to mention them by name (if not, I totally understand if a Mod needs to edit out the above names).

You also might want to consider setting up VLC (or similar) to work as an External Player (for DVD folder rips):

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43987-how-to-set-up-vlc-as-an-external-player-windows/

The External Player route is really the way to go (in my opinion) if you're wanting to play folder rips reliably.

:)

OmegaWulf

Thanks FwM, I'll give VLC a look.  It was suggested here to use Kodi on the front end, which I have configured.  I'm assuming I still need to remove the video encryption first before using VLC?

funwithmedia

I've not used Kodi, so I'll let others speak to that. I use Emby Theater (the Windows desktop version), and VLC as an External Player for DVD folder rips.

And yes, in order to get the DVD data off of the discs and onto your hard drive you'll still need decryption/ripping software.

If you have to rip these discs anyway, I HIGHLY recommend ripping them to a more modern and streaming friendly format like MKV.  MakeMkv will help you do this and you will not lose any quality.  This will make your life so much simpler and give you much better functionality across the board.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

If you have to rip these discs anyway, I HIGHLY recommend ripping them to a more modern and streaming friendly format like MKV.  MakeMkv will help you do this and you will not lose any quality.  This will make your life so much simpler and give you much better functionality across the board.

There's a lot to be said for @@ebr's advice. I started out adamantly against converting my folder rips to MKV. But I'm definitely seeing the benefits for TV Shows, and I'm slowly experimenting with converting some of my Movies to MKV and am "seeing the light" there too. ;)

OmegaWulf

Ha! I just saw the last few responses here after posting a new topic regarding what the best format is.  I'm more interested in video/audio quality over file size.  So, are you guys saying that mkv is just as good as keeping the disc's structure (copy and paste, basically)?

If so, does that hold true for 3D as well?  I tried a folder structure copy of a 3D movie last night and I couldn't get it to play, even on Kodi.  So, I tried a mkv rip and that played.  However, it didn't play in 3D.  Not sure if there is a setting somewhere I'm missing or if that was due to not being able to rip 3D movies to mkv.

funwithmedia

I don't yet have any experience with 3D, so I'll let others speak to that. But you are correct that MakeMKV is not doing any compressing. I think maybe you can configure it to do some space saving with Audio channels (such as not including ones you don't want, and maybe compressing some??), but if you configure it to just select and copy as-is all audio channels nothing is changed. And as I understand it, I think it just wraps the source video into a MKV container, so there's no re-rendering or anything where you might lose quality.

Under Advanced Settings, the following is what I use to have it default to selecting everything (as I'm a bit of a completest):

+sel:all,-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

But search the Emby forums and you'll find others who are much more knowledgeable than I am currently. :)

• 6 months later...

Jeremy,

You are absolutely correct.  It is the original movie DVD from my collection and I did a copy and paste.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the Emby wiki article on movie directory setup, which I quoted in my original post, was, "huh, I didn't know you could copy files straight off a DVD or Blu ray; I thought you had to 'rip' them."  So, I grabbed the first DVD I had within arm's reach, put it in my PC's DVD player, went to its directory and copy and pasted.  No problems.

But last night I tried a different DVD, an older one from 2000, and that wouldn't even let me copy the files.  I got an error that (at least) one of the files was encrypted, so it wouldn't copy.  I don't know why the first DVD copied fine but not the second, other than one is older and, so, maybe there's different technology involved?

At any rate, is there any software that can decrypt the content?  Yes, I know there is ripping software that will create a video file, but is there any that allows for keeping the original file/folder structure of the DVD?  I haven't been able to find any.  Which leads me to believe there isn't any.  If that's the case, then I'm confused as to why Emby even posts it can handle the DVD file structure.

I myself am a terrible newb when it comes to ripping and or copying dvd's. For dvd's i use winx it was 40$ i think but it takes most of the work out of ripping a dvd. I have found it often works even on disney dvd's which seem to nearly always have strong encryption ( need to use safe mode in winx ) other options are also handbrake which i think is free but you will likely need to tinker with it more to copy different dvd's. I am not sure what people use for blue rays. Honestly with how lousy my vision is i never really care about hd.