Strange question

jachin99

jachin99

Is emby for WMC built as a WPF app, or does it use MCML?  I'm curious because I am trying to compare the user experience of the two different type of applications.

jachin99

Would a WPF/XAML app work with emby?  I would like to write a program for WMC but I'm not too enthusiastic about learning MCML just for the purpose of one WMC plugin.  There is a lot more documentation out there on XAML, and from what I have found its much more portable.  What version of .net are you compiling it in?  I remember something about needing 4.6 in order to install part of emby but I'm not sure if it was the server, or the WMC app.   

If you build a standalone app that communicates with Emby Server, and it is built with XAML, then you can use any version of the .net framework that you want. In other words, it won't need to be tied to the version that the server uses, which is currently 4.62.

You cannot write a WMC plug-in in XAML, however.  

Why on earth are you trying to write a WMC plugin at this point, though?  What are you really trying to accomplish?

jachin99

I still use WMC for its content protection so it would see enough use at least from me to maybe justify the time and effort.  I've never written software before, so writing something that is portable to other platforms is just kind of a preference. 

Edited by jachin99

I'm afraid nothing you write for WMC is going to be portable to any other platform.

What problem are you trying to solve?  Perhaps we already have a solution...

jachin99

Maybe I phrased that wrong.  The XAML would be displayed in an internet explorer page that is hosted by WMC.  If an app can run in a web page, then I'm thinking this would make it compatible with other programs.  I would like to build something that can show live TV, and display RSS feeds. 

From this link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970447(v=vs.90).aspx 

"WPF allows the development of two types of applications: standalone and browser-hosted. Standalone applications provide their own windows and dialog boxes to host application content. There are two types of browser-hosted applications, loose XAML applications and XBAPs, both of which are hosted by Internet Explorer 7. However, Internet Explorer 7 doesn't know anything about WPF; to enable the ability for Internet Explorer 7 to host WPF content, WPF provides applications like Internet Explorer a hosting proxy. This proxy can host WPF content on behalf of other applications, and is built using the same common Windows infrastructure that Internet Explorer itself knows how to host"

I don't believe that will be compatible with WMC.  I seem to recall the later versions of WMC dropping support for hosted apps as well.

Have you tried the podcast plugin for the rss feeds?