How do I use Emby Connect for outside connections?

ShoutingMan
Go to solution Solved by ShoutingMan,

ShoutingMan

Can someone explain how I setup outside connections with Emby Connect?

Do I need to create a second account for use with Emby Connect to watch on an outside connection (outside my LAN)? I'm completely lost on Emby Connect.

On my iPhone I go to emby.media and then Sign In and I get the "Select Server" page. On the bottom there's a "Sign in with Emby Connect" button. I tap that. It asks me for my username and password on the next page. I enter that. It takes me back to the Select Server page with the Sign in with Emby Connect button. It's an endless loop; I can never get signed in to "Emby Connect" with my Emby server account. And since I'm outside the LAN I can't select the server either -- it won't connect.

It seems like this should be obvious, but I'm lost on how Connect is or how to set it up for myself.

Am I supposed to create an "outside" account and switch back and forth depending on whether I'm home or out?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=register

Thanks!

earthtorob

Open the port on your firewall and browse to your IP.  As far as casting from that point, I don't know.  It's kind of hard to test.  Unless you have a friend that wil let you play around in their living room. 

ShoutingMan

Open the port on your firewall and browse to your IP.  As far as casting from that point, I don't know.  It's kind of hard to test.  Unless you have a friend that wil let you play around in their living room. 

Emby Connect is supposed to do that for me.

ShoutingMan

But it requires a new email address than what I used to create my Emby account! That doesn't make sense.

I don't understand Emby Connect. :(

• Like 2

jordy

@@ShoutingMan, go to the User / Profile tab in Server settings and make sure that you have your username or email address entered into the field at the top of page as per the attached screen grab.

IIRC this is required to make EmbyConnect work. There should also be a "cloud" icon on you user profile picture in the User tab.

cheers

58e712103c7f9_UserSettings.jpg

ShoutingMan

I've got that. The left user is my main account. The right one is a dummy I made thinking I had to have an additional account for Emby Connect.

58e780f3d939c_EmbyConnect1.png

jordy

Ok, If you have followed all of the instructions on the Emby connect wiki pages then not sure what else.

Did you click on the link in the email that got sent to your emby email address when you signed up for Connect? You must do this and then enter the same email address or associated emby username into the field in your profile. Other than that I'm also at a loss... good luck

ryandavidg

Emby Connect is supposed to do that for me.

That loop you were in sounds a bit strange and I'm sure the devs will answer on that, but (excuse me if this is obvious and you've done it already) you may also need to set up port forwarding, depending on your router setup. I had no issue using Emby on my LAN, but when I gave a login to a relative he couldn't connect - when I looked into it my router was blocking that port externally and I had to set up port forwarding on the router (from the WAN address on the server dashboard) to the server on the LAN.

If you haven't set up port forwarding try canyouseeme.org and check if the WAN address/port on your dashboard is open or blocked.

ShoutingMan

I haven't done anything on my router / firewall. I thought Emby Connect was supposed to do everything necessary. Which is I why I'm hoping for an explanation of Connect. I can't make heads or tails of it and I'm wondering what I'm missing? Probably something obvious, but I'm clueless.

The documentation says:

"Connectivity · MediaBrowser/Wiki Wiki · GitHub" (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity)

"Emby Server also allows you to connect when away from home. We call these external connections because they're out of our home network. Before we begin, we'll assume everything covered above in the In-Network Connections section is functioning correctly with your Emby Server, and that you're able to connect using other devices in your home network. If not, then you'll want to go over that section first.

From here, we suggest using the Emby Connect feature as it takes the guesswork out of external connectivity. You only need to read below if you're not using Emby Connect, or you're having trouble connecting."

Edited by ShoutingMan

mastrmind11

I haven't done anything on my router / firewall. I thought Emby Connect was supposed to do everything necessary. Which is I why I'm hoping for an explanation of Connect. I can't make heads or tails of it and I'm wondering what I'm missing? Probably something obvious, but I'm clueless.

The documentation says:

"Connectivity · MediaBrowser/Wiki Wiki · GitHub" (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity)

"Emby Server also allows you to connect when away from home. We call these external connections because they're out of our home network. Before we begin, we'll assume everything covered above in the In-Network Connections section is functioning correctly with your Emby Server, and that you're able to connect using other devices in your home network. If not, then you'll want to go over that section first.

From here, we suggest using the Emby Connect feature as it takes the guesswork out of external connectivity. You only need to read below if you're not using Emby Connect, or you're having trouble connecting."

Port forward 8096 on your modem/router to your internal IP, as others have already suggested..

Edited by mastrmind11

ryandavidg

Emby Connect is useful as it means you don't have to type in IP addresses when connecting (and lots of different passwords if you have access to multiple servers) and it adjusts if/when the server's external IP address changes. But it can't do anything if the router is blocking it from connecting.

If you haven't port-forwarded before it's less complicated than it sounds, a quick google should point you in the right direction. All you basically do is log into your router admin page, find the right section (sometimes called games/application sharing), select port 8096 (if it asks for a range do from 8096 to 8096) and then assign this port to the internal IP (or on some routers you just choose the device name) of the server on the LAN. It's a one off operation and takes a couple of minutes.

ShoutingMan

Thanks. I can't get to the server this weekend, so I'll give the port-forwarding a go next week!

CharleyVarrick

That loop you were in sounds a bit strange and I'm sure the devs will answer on that, but (excuse me if this is obvious and you've done it already) you may also need to set up port forwarding, depending on your router setup.

That loop sounds very familiar to me and I seem to have gone thru all this confusion myself.

For some reasons (still very unclear to me and left unexplained), I have to "emby-connect" with my forum user name/pw instead of my actual emby server user/pw.

Oh, and as I have been told, without port forwarding, you will never get in emby from outside, period.

It's not hard to test remote access at all, even though you're still home:

OP has an iphone I believe; simply disable wifi in the phone to force your phone to connect thru cell data plan. 

As far as I understand, the main feature of emby connect is it lets you use a simple username and pass to remotely connect, instead of thru your server's ip address (which is most likely dynamic, aka bound to change).

If you ask me, a missing feature is to send a magic packet to wake a sleeping server

Edited by jlr19

ShoutingMan

Thanks for the input. I can't get the port-forwarding to work, it seems. I may need to go wander in the (internet) wilderness for a while to figure this out.

(I followed online instructions for configuring my Apple Airport Extreme base station for port forwarding. It seem pretty simple. But the can youseeme.org type sites show the port 8096 blocked. And the Emby webpage won't login on my iPhone when I'm off the wifi. I even tried setting Windows Firewall to allow all traffic through port 8096 and that didn't fix it.)

dreimer

No clue of that Apple stuff tbh (way too lame & non configurable for me), I recommend to forward 8096 TCP which is NOT encrypted and 8920 TCP which IS encrypted as test. My Emby is forced to https, but I went a bit further and connected it to a DDNS service + I included a LetsEncrypt Certificate. Thus all is safe and with a valid certificate. For you it's just needed to forward BOTH ports and then retry. If this fails, just reply and if I don't reply, PM me ^^ I had my fun with Emby at first, too. Some devices were happy with a not valid cert, some were not. Now all is fine.

Edited by dreimer

ShoutingMan

Anyone use Windows 10 for Emby Server with port forwarding? If so, do you forward the IPv6 or IPv4 address, or both?

I'll try adding the 8920 as well.

ShoutingMan

Apple AirPort Extreme, 6th Gen

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP680

Port Forwarding is straightforward, following some online guides. Or, it should be. But I'm not getting successful access from outside my LAN. I need to double check the Emby Server, that its address matches what I'm using for the forwarding.

I might install Emby Server on my Mac to try and separate possible Win10 issues from Router issues.

ShoutingMan

You forward the address on the dashboard. What router are you using?

Emby Server for WAN gives an IPv6 address of this form:

http://[1002:381:5465:2b6:1b2:e543:5830:614]:8096/

Using that and now the result from canyouseeme.org is an immediate "No route to host" rather than the previous slow "connection timed out". Attempting to connect from my iPhone (cell) now fails immediately rather than spinning for a while and then failing. 

I'd previously tried both the IPv4 address (10.0.1.35 on my LAN) and the IPv6 address from Windows System info. But Emby Server shows an IPv6 address that looks different from what Win10 gave.

I'm not sure if I've made progress or not... :)

Edited by ShoutingMan

Guest asrequested

What firewall are you using in Win 10? Make sure Mediabrowser is allowed through. The IP should be what's shown in your emby dashboard (LAN)

Edited by Doofus

ShoutingMan

I think I need to disable IPv6 on the Windows 10 server, so that Emby wants an IPv4 WAN address, and then port-forward that. I think I'm getting wrapped around the axle with trying to do IPv6 Firewall Entry and then things not working right there because my router isn't accepting the IPv6 address from the greater WWW.

http://test-ipv6.com

You appear to have no IPv6 at this time..

It looks like you have only IPv4 Internet service at this time. Don't feel bad - most people are in this position right now. Most Internet service providers are not quite yet ready to provide IPv6 Internet to residential customers.

Many of the visitors to the site are new to what IPv6 is. If you don't know why IPv6 matters, see the Why IPv6 FAQ. This will give you a bit of background of what to expect with IPv4 in the coming months and years; and perhaps some incentive to ask your ISP when they will offer IPv6.

If you strongly believe you have IPv6, but we were unable to detect it: it means one of a couple of things. Either your organization is blocking the use of IPv6 to talk to the outside Internet through network policy; or perhaps what you see with IPv6 on your host is not a global address. Any address starting with "::", "fc", "fd", or "fe" are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet.

If you are savvy with technology, you can be an early adopter of IPv6, consider learning more about 6to4 providers (managed 6to4 tunnel services). The use of automatic tunnels is discouraged [see more].

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

What firewall are you using in Win 10? Make sure Mediabrowser is allowed through. The IP should be what's shown in your emby dashboard (LAN)

The default Win10 Firewall. It's got "MediaBrowser" entries pre-configured. I was looking at it last night to see if I needed to also port-map or punch a hole in it, but it seems MB did that already.