Live TV Out of Sync. Video Running Double Time

gillespie.skip@gmail.com

gillespie.skip@gmail.com

Hi all,

I've been an Emby server user for a while now.  Within the last couple of weeks though I have a problem.  I cannot watch live tv.  When I select a channel from the guide, the video looks like it is running double time while the audio is normal.  It will do that for a couple of seconds until it has to buffer more video.  This is a recent problem.  Never had an issue in the past.  It does it regardless of whether I am streaming it to my android devices, to a web interface or to one of my Roku TV's through the Emby Channel.

InfiniTV 6 eth with a cable card.

Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center

ServerWMC

Now using Emby 3.2.10.6 beta

Was using Emby 3.2.10.1 (I think) when this started.

I have no idea what might have changed to cause this to happen.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skip Gillespie

P.S.  I can watch anything from my media library and it plays perfectly without a hiccup.

Edited by gillespie.skip@gmail.com

krustyreturns

I had 10.0 installed and didn't see the problem, so I installed 10.7 beta and I still don't see it (tried a couple of channels).  Do you know if your channels are h.264 streams?  maybe that's the difference, because mine aren't.

I imagine Luke is going to want emby logs.

krustyreturns

Yes, that works.  In vlc you have to open it as a 'network stream'.

Edited by krustyreturns

gillespie.skip@gmail.com

I started a stream from my android device through Emby.  It did the usual fast video with normal audio.  I placed the serverwmc url from the resulting log immediately into VLC.  It played perfectly with normal, synchronized audio and video.

ffmpeg-transcode-75e9d310-8b0c-48fd-96a2-ddb870c5f7f7.txt

krustyreturns

Thanks.  Never mind then, I thought it might be a problem related to a much older version of swmc.  We'll need @@Luke and company to comment on the emby logs.

For the next release, we're going to update our vsync param that we pass into ffmpeg. If you'd like to try it in the beta server, the change should be available for testing within the next couple days. Thanks !

gillespie.skip@gmail.com

What can it hurt.  Right now I'm paying for an Emby service that I can't use.  I'll try anything at this point.

Obviously something changed.  Is there a way I can go back to an older version, in the meantime, and get my live tv back?  As of right now, I can't watch any live tv on any of my Roku tv's.

gillespie.skip@gmail.com

Okay.  Tried the beta version.  Still had the same issue.  So then, I completely uninstalled Emby Server.  Used the "leave no trace" option.  I reinstalled the latest stable version (v3.2.12.0).  After setup, I tried to play a live tv channel from the web interface on the pc.  It played perfect.  So I tried to play it through my Android device.  It still had the same problem:  normal audio, fast video.  So I went back to the web interface.  When I tuned in a channel this time, it was now back to the same problem.

So, I blew it completely away again, and this time installed the beta version (v3.2.12.5).  After setup, right from the start, it still has the same problem.  

Any ideas?

server-63627789357.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-d63f0e9e-7f88-407e-8188-bdad1f9552ea.txt

server-63627789159.txt

Ok, I cannot reproduce this with our built in live tv functions and I don't have a server wmc setup to test with, but I will continue testing this, thanks.

epayson85

FYI I can confirm this is also happening on android if I don't have direct play enabled.  Obviously I prefer direct play which works fine but just wanted to give it a shot to see if I could reproduce what gillespie is seeing on the Roku.

Thanks for the feedback. There are audio/video sync adjustments that will be in the next release of Emby Server, so please re-evaluate then. Thanks.

krustyreturns

@@epayson85,

Thanks for that info.  Do you know if your streams are h264?  Gillespie and I have been working offline on this and it appears to only happen with h264 streams. 

• 2 weeks later...
epayson85

@@epayson85,

Thanks for that info.  Do you know if your streams are h264?  Gillespie and I have been working offline on this and it appears to only happen with h264 streams.

Yep my market switched to h264 at the beginning of the year.

krustyreturns

If anyone else is being effected by this, there is a workaround by changing this serverwmc setting to the following:

<GenerateDTS_h264>false</GenerateDTS_h264>
  • Like 1

Tester

If anyone else is being effected by this, there is a workaround by changing this serverwmc setting to the following:

<GenerateDTS_h264>false</GenerateDTS_h264>

This seems to have fixed this issue for me.. Thx krusty

krustyreturns

@@Luke, yeah that would probably fix it too (and be better).  

If you are asking why does swmc have the ability to generate a 'fake' dts, it has to do with how a wtv packages h264 and problems that some versions of kodi had with these files.  I can go into more detail if you want, but that basically it.  Once we started generating dts in the ts file we generate for live streams, our kodi issues went away, so all was good, until Emby decided it didn't like it for some reason.  So possibly this workaround could cause kodi issues depending on the version of kodi they are running.