Trying to mock up some channels, any thoughts?

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

So I was thinking about a program I used to use in Kodi called Pseudotv that was pretty cool. It never worked flawlessly, but was a really cool concept. Basically it would pull media into channels that you set up and play it like real tv, with a guide and starting movies or shows part way through, etc. I found it especially helpful when I couldn't decide what to watch. I miss when I watched cable, finding a movie that's been on for 20 minutes and getting sucked in.

I imagine it's a pretty daunting task to set something like this up in emby, or if there's even demand for it, but I was wondering about something specific using emby almost as is. I'm looking to set up a playlist for channels. I'd like this playlist to be separate from all my other playlists though, is this possible? Also, it would have to basically be a bunch of playlists within a playlist, or maybe I could set up playlists as a tv library somehow? Not sure if this can even be done.

Anyway, I'd name it (the library, or playlist parent folder or whatever), say, "channels" or something and have channel playlists inside. Here's where it'd get even trickier, can cinema mode be set up library or section specific? I found a bunch of old 80's commercials, so the idea would be to make a channel, maybe retro 80's, add all my media that fits the channel, and set up cinema mode to play commercials between episodes, but only for specific playlists ie: different commercials pulled for different channel playlists. The other bonus would be when shuffling the playlist, episodes still stay in order. So if Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles randomly started with season 4 episode 3, a random show or 2 would play after that episode but when TMNT came back on again, it would play season 4 episode 4. Pseudotv did this as well, it really was a pretty neat bit of software.

Don't know if any of this is even remotely possible, or even worth it, but any thoughts on it would be great. Cinema mode is great for that true movie experience, and sometimes it'd be nice to have that tv experience as well. Maybe something can be used with the live tv guide as well? I dunno just spitballing.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry, that plug-in was retired quite a while ago.  It was just too complex and too little-used to continue to try and maintain at this time.