Australian EPG Data

ebr

The folks at IceTV wanted to be sure you folks down under knew about their new economical offering for program guide data.  This data should be fully compatible with Emby's Live TV and DVR engine but please let us know if you encounter any issues with it.  See the below announcement from Ice:

With the increasing popularity of Computers or NAS servers being used to record digital free to air TV shows IceTV has decided to provide a cheaper Australian XMLTV EPG subscription option. It is ideal for customers who wish to use the IceTV Australian XMLTV EPG feed but are not able to use IceTV’s Full Service with Smart Recording. It covers all Australian capital and regional FTA transmissions with the exception of the racing channel and shopping channels.

For $3.99 per month (less than $1 a week) you get IceTV's professionally hand curated Australian XMLTV EPG feed that is updated throughout each day right up to primetime to ensure your recordings are not missed due to late programming changes. Importantly, accurate recording is optimised with repeat tags, series and episode numbers where available, and consistent show titles.

You will also receive a bi-weekly email of recommended TV shows and movies for the week or weekend including interesting shows coming soon but with an unknown airdate. The recommended and coming soon shows are also a feature in our free IceTV Guide apps for iOS and Android.

- IceTV is an accurate, curated guide.
- IceTV is optimised for recording TV.
- IceTV is updated throughout the day.
- IceTV's XMLTV EPG feed covers all regions in Australia.
- We advise a final refresh just before prime time.

To subscribe at the XMLTV only price go here:
https://store.icetv.com.au/xmltv

If anyone has any questions you can contact me at www.icetv.com.au/contact_us

Dave at IceTV

• Like 3

schmitty

I think I need to get a HDhomerun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denz

@@Luke I am not sure will this be of any use but the icetv data now has more info it has tvdb and imdb tags here is one example

<programme airingID="131391862" mediaID="34199-248437" start="20170410143000 +0000" stop="20170410150000 +0000" channel="99">

<title lang="en">House Of Lies</title>

<sub-title lang="en">Game Theory</sub-title>

<desc lang="en">Jeannie is about to be taken apart by her boyfriend; Marty does some business development at Doug's 'Dungeons and Dragons' party, and Clyde reveals another issue that may have repercussions for Jeannie.</desc>

<credits>

<actor>Don Cheadle</actor>

<actor>Kristen Bell</actor>

<actor>Josh Lawson</actor>

<actor>Ben Schwartz</actor>

<actor>Dawn Olivieri</actor>

<actor>Greg Germann</actor>

</credits>

<date>2016</date>

<category lang="en">Comedy</category>

<language lang="en">English</language>

<icon src="http://images.icetv.com.au/2a24-c4dc-d674-9505.jpg"width="1641" height="923" />

<country lang="en">United States</country>

<episode-num system="SxxExx">S05E02</episode-num>

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">4.1..</episode-num>

<episode-num system="original-air-date">2017-04-10</episode-num>

<episode-num system="thetvdb.com">series/247909</episode-num>

<episode-num system="thetvdb.com">episode/5542871</episode-num>

<episode-num system="imdb.com">series/tt1797404</episode-num>

<episode-num system="imdb.com">episode/tt4574802</episode-num>

<video>

<present>yes</present>

<colour>yes</colour>

<aspect>16:9</aspect>

<quality>SDTV</quality>

</video>

<previously-shown />

<subtitles type="teletext" />

<rating system="ACMA">

<value>MA</value>

</rating>

</programme>

Edited by denz

denz

Not much for the movies they even removed the Movie: tag even though it was nice to have. I will ask them how come the movies don't have imdb. Maybe it is just a start so it will take time I will keep you posted.  

<programme airingID="131365124" mediaID="1169-0" start="20170409130000 +0000" stop="20170409152000 +0000" channel="99">
  <title lang="en"> Entrapment</title>
  <desc lang="en">The stage is set for the largest stick-up in history when a veteran master thief and a beautiful, crafty insurance investigator join forces. Will their mounting attraction be fatal?
</desc>
  <credits>
   <director>Jon Amiel</director>
   <actor>Sean Connery</actor>
   <actor>Catherine Zeta-Jones</actor>
   <actor>Ving Rhames</actor>
   <actor>Will Patton</actor>
   <actor>Maury Chaykin</actor>
  </credits>
  <date>1999</date>
  <category lang="en">Action</category>
  <category lang="en">Crime</category>
  <category lang="en">Romance</category>
  <category lang="en">Movie</category>
  <country lang="en">United States</country>
  <video>
   <present>yes</present>
   <colour>yes</colour>
   <aspect>16:9</aspect>
   <quality>SDTV</quality>
  </video>
  <previously-shown start="2011-07-24" />
  <subtitles type="teletext" />
  <rating system="ACMA">
   <value>M</value>
  </rating>
 </programme>

Daniel Hall

Hi Guys,

For movies we will always have a "Movie" category included, and we are working on increasing information and images for movies now.

Along with imdb ID's we will also include themoviedb ID's as well (as another 'episode-num' system similar to the current tvdb ID's).

Some other information that I can add, for this feed we have tried to use the standard XMLTV spec as far as we can, we have however added some extra information where it would fit, these are:

Channel elements changes:

• We have added an 'LCN' element to aid in channel mapping.

Under the programme elements we have added:

• airingID - our internal show_id to aid in incremental updates (more on that later)
  • mediaID - a combination of our internal series_id-episode_id basically as a guid for a particular show to allow linking the existing recordings to avoid duplication
  • sport - If a sporting event the sport type will be listed
  • team - If a sporting even it will list the teams playing, still not fully populated
  • episode-num
    • SxxExx numbering - used next to the standard xmltv_ns namespace to just be a more human readable 1 based series and episode numbering
    • original-air-date - Purely the original air date of the show, This is the original air date of the showing in the format YEAR-MONTH-DAY, this field does not indicate a repeat (use the previously-shown element for this) if the air date is in the past. (was added so that every show based entry that is not a once off or a movie would have an episode-num element)
    • thetvdb.com - This is the ID's for thetvdb.com, there can be two entries for each show, one for the series (in the format "series/ID") and one for the episode (in the format "episode/ID")
    • imdb.com - This is the ID's for imdb.com, there can be two entries for each show, one for the series (in the format "series/ID") and one for the episode (in the format "episode/ID")
    • themoviedb.org - This is the ID for this movie from themoviedb.org (still being populated)

These fields are actually unique to the XMLTV feed and are not currently included in our JSON based API, however our JSON based API feed and XMLTV all come from the same database.

The data itself is updated throughout the day by our guide team, and whenever the guide is downloaded your are getting a live snapshot of the guide data for your region at that point in time. If quicker updates are being looked at (in the realm of every 30 minutes) then we can enable incremental updates for the XMLTV feed as well, if we can squeeze it in the XMLTV spec somehow we can even do a journaled feed like our JSON APi so if there is something in the update it would either be a DELETE if flagged as such (based on the airingID) or a ADD/UPDATE (once again based on the airingID) which would definitely save on the complexity of updates.

As for repeats as per the XMLTV spec we have both the <previously-shown> element that is present if a repeat, and the <premiere> element included for first run shows.

We are constantly updating our backend with additional functionality and one of these in the future would give us easier access to the shopping and racing channels so it is something that should show up over time, but there is no set time frame for this to happen at this stage.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you want to look at the incremental updates, or of course any other questions.   :D

denz

With this new xmltv feed I have noticed that new tag doesn't exist any more everything is marked as premiere. Shouldn't premier only for a brand new show news is every day at the same time so that shouldn't be a premier or is that incorrect.

This is the new icetvxmltv

<programme airingID="131392541" mediaID="121-0" start="20170410100000 +0000" stop="20170410110000 +0000" channel="2596">
    <title lang="en">National Nine News</title> <icon src="http://192.168.1.25/Pictures/ShowsThumbs/nationalninenews.jpg"/>
    <desc lang="en">The latest local, national and international news, plus sports stories and weather forecasts for the days ahead.</desc>
    <category lang="en">News</category>
    <country lang="en">Australia</country>
    <episode-num system="original-air-date">2017-04-10</episode-num>

This is from an older xmltv file that I happen to not delete yet.  

<programme start="20170331100000 +0000" stop="20170331110000 +0000" channel="24">
  <title lang="en">National Nine News</title>
  <desc lang="en">The latest local, national and international news, plus sports stories and weather forecasts for the days ahead.(Australia, English)</desc>
  <category lang="en">News</category>
  <country lang="en">Australia</country>
  <episode-num system="icetv">121-0</episode-num>

58eb131e2ea5b_tvguideprem.png

If I untick premiere then it displays New tag.

58eb160e6fd66_Capt8.png

Edited by denz

Daniel Hall

For the showing type we went from the XMLTV spec... mind you even that is a little confusing.

There are three tags that would be relevant in the feed (and how IceTV use them):

• previously-shown - will be present if the show is a repeat showing (having screened on tv in Australia before)
  • premiere - will be present if that particular showing is not a repeat and has never aired before (on Australian TV)
  • new - unused by IceTV

In the XMLTV spec they list that none of these are guarantees either, so for example not having the previously-shown attribute does not necessarily indicate that it is a first run programme, likewise the premiere attribute doesn't necessarily mean that its not a repeat showing.

We specifically normalized these two fields in our feed to ensure consistency as I have outlined above.

Having said that we can always look at some customisation of the feed for Emby with a custom setup page on our website to accommodate this.

• Like 1

denz

Any chance we can get more images like these that they actually have a name of the show on them rather than screenshot of the show.

58f0c06a39a3f_themed.png

PrincessClevage

Gents do you use Emby Theater for windows desktop? In my live tv under suggestions I have pascal color tiles and no movie tv show images. What is responsible for populating the tv images on tiles? Would icetv xml guide help with this?

colinoice

Hi schmitty, I'm afraid we don't support Foxtel EPG data.  I've tried but they refuse to release it and we can't commercially use the IceTV methodology to create and manage so many channels ourselves.

• Like 1

denz

Gents do you use Emby Theater for windows desktop? In my live tv under suggestions I have pascal color tiles and no movie tv show images. What is responsible for populating the tv images on tiles? Would icetv xml guide help with this?

It should work without icetv if there is a movie tag in xmltv file can you give an example of a pascal color title so we can see exactly what it says i had issue with icetv because it had a movie prefix which i liked very much but was removed now but before it was removed the devs made changes to live tv settings so i could include that prefix so it worked with movie prefix.

Maybe show us extract of xmltv file or pick a movie and search through the log files and it should give you more info why no metada is not found.

I would highly recommend icetv as they provide a very reliable service and i have been their custumer for at least 7 years but i think it is even longer than that and with the new price i think it is definately worth it.

Edited by denz

PrincessClevage

It should work without icetv if there is a movie tag in xmltv file can you give an example of a pascal color title so we can see exactly what it says i had issue with icetv because it had a movie prefix which i liked very much but was removed now but before it was removed the devs made changes so it worked with movie prefix.

Maybe show us extract of xmltv file or pick a movie and search through the log files and it should give you more info why no metada is not found.

Movies seem to show metadata and images but general tv shows and daily news etc under "suggestions" in ET just show plain color tiles(no image) is this what you see on your system using ET ? Edited by PrincessClevage

denz

So it is your guide data that doesnt provide the images. Now icetv has started to put images into their xmltv file but many dont but that will improve as time goes by. I have over couple of weeks downloaded many thumbnail images and use powershell script to insert the images in xmltv file it was a long exercise but it was worth it. Now it looks great. Icetv has i think free trial so you can try it.

PrincessClevage

So it is your guide data that doesnt provide the images. Now icetv has started to put images into their xmltv file but many dont but that will improve as time goes by. I have over couple of weeks downloaded many thumbnail images and use powershell script to insert the images in xmltv file it was a long exercise but it was worth it. Now it looks great. Icetv has i think free trial so you can try it.

i have already signed for the trial. Is there a guide to add ice tv to emby server live tv? I tried adding xmltv and then entering the url that icetv provides, is this the correct method?

denz

@@Daniel Hall any chance that the kids cartoons can have children tag because i am noticing some only have cartoon tag but some cartoons are for adults.

Daniel Hall

@@Daniel Hall any chance that the kids cartoons can have children tag because i am noticing some only have cartoon tag but some cartoons are for adults.

Hi Denz,

I will pass that along to our guide team and see what we can do.

PrincessClevage

if the guide data has an image it will appear automatically.

I am using icetv trial should this data contain tv show images? Do other users have images populated for australian tv shows? Edited by PrincessClevage

colinoice

All TV shows have images and we will have the movie images online asap.  I've forwarded your post to my CTO in case for advice too.