Looking for hardware advice for running server

LeShaque

LeShaque

Hello,

I am hoping you can advise me on what is the best choice for me for running Emby Server.

I am currently running Emby on my NUC (5th gen Broadwell / SSD / 16 Gb RAM). My files are hosted on an old NAS with Windows shares. Playback is on Nvidia Shield TV and Fire TV (1st gen), and rarely on DLNA devices. Except when using DLNA, playback is done with direct play. Among my files are 4K/H.265 videos that need to be decoded on the server as the Fire TV can't handle them.

However, soon I will be giving up the NUC and replacing the current NAS with a Synology DS416.

I see that it is possible to run Emby Server directly on Synology NASes. That would be the ideal solution but I am worried about the DS416 is not powerful enough.

I can buy a Raspberry Pi 3b to use as a dedicated Emby Server but I feel that it is barely more powerful than the NAS. Maybe an ASUS Tinker Box?

Building my own NAS is not much of an option due to power consumption concerns.

Would appreciate input on the viability of my options.

Thanks in advance.

BAlGaInTl

If power consumption is a concern, it seems that you are already doing pretty well with the NUC.  Why do you want to change that?  Which model NUC are you using?

You can always try it on the Synology once you get it.  It doesn't take much to get Emby up and and running.  If it doesn't work, you can keep the NUC around. 

• Like 1