Best hardware for Emby?

spitefulgod

spitefulgod

Hi all,

I've just completed a voice interface into emby (seperate app remote controlling emby theatre) for my blind parents, this allows them to watch the media on the computer i've set up for them using speech commands.  This all works fine and surprisingly better than the WMC setup they had previously and the same setup on Plex that they had till last week.  I want to make sure that Live TV is also setup, currently they have NextPVR with a DVB-T twin channel card, unfortunately I find NextPVR exceptionally flaky often freezing after several hours of continuous use.  I could do with some opinions on what is the best hardware or software to use with Emby, I don't really mind about cost and have seen there are standalone network attached satellite decoders, does anyone have experience with these?  Are they any good with emby?  Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest an HDHomerun network tuner, then you will not need to use Next PVR at all and can set it up directly with Emby.

unfortunately I find NextPVR exceptionally flaky often freezing after several hours of continuous use.

That definitely shouldn't be the case. If you want to post a description of the problem over at the NextPVR forums, along with the logs, we'll help you investigate.

spitefulgod

I

That definitely shouldn't be the case. If you want to post a description of the problem over at the NextPVR forums, along with the logs, we'll help you investigate.

I'm going to flatten the machine next week to install the final speech software when I visit my parents, hopefully this will fix the hanging issue, with note to nextpvr what should the channel switch speed be in emby when using a satellite tv card?

I'm going to flatten the machine next week to install the final speech software when I visit my parents, hopefully this will fix the hanging issue, with note to nextpvr what should the channel switch speed be in emby when using a satellite tv card?

Watching within NextPVR itself, it'll usually take about 2 seconds to change channel (depending on the speed of the tuner etc).

When you're watching via Emby, NextPVR is delivering the stream to Emby in the same time frame (about 2 seconds), how quickly you see it depends on which Emby client, and whether Emby is transcoding the stream for that client's player, or playing the native stream. ie, NextPVR is living up to it's end of the bargain fairly quickly, but Emby can add significant delays (and sometimes it's transcoding has problems, causing stream to freeze). This isn't anything special about Emby's behaviour with NextPVR - it works exactly the same way with other backends.

Edited by sub3

spitefulgod

Watching within NextPVR itself, it'll usually take about 2 seconds to change channel (depending on the speed of the tuner etc).

When you're watching via Emby, NextPVR is delivering the stream to Emby in the same time frame (about 2 seconds), how quickly you see it depends on which Emby client, and whether Emby is transcoding the stream for that client's player, or playing the native stream. ie, NextPVR is living up to it's end of the bargain fairly quickly, but Emby can add significant delays (and sometimes it's transcoding has problems, causing stream to freeze). This isn't anything special about Emby's behaviour with NextPVR - it works exactly the same way with other backends.

I reinstalled the lot and it got rid of the hanging issues (presumed screwed system or comfig file), but there is still a 12 second delay in switching channels, your correct in thinking this is a transposing issue as I'm using the UWP Embry Theatre app and next debug is stating a that transposing is initiated, after reading the Embry blogs this will be resolved in the creator update with a codec update.  I'll install that tomorrow and see how things go.  thanks for the feedback.

chef

I have a question about tv tuners.

Where I live...Bell the service supplier... Uses a fixer optic cable to attach to their box.

Could I use these devices with that sort of input?

I reinstalled the lot and it got rid of the hanging issues (presumed screwed system or comfig file), but there is still a 12 second delay in switching channels, your correct in thinking this is a transposing issue as I'm using the UWP Embry Theatre app and next debug is stating a that transposing is initiated, after reading the Embry blogs this will be resolved in the creator update with a codec update.  I'll install that tomorrow and see how things go.  thanks for the feedback.

If you want to test how long NextPVR is taking, run VLC, select 'Open Network Stream' from the menu, and enter a url like this:

http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=4

Where 4 is replaced by a valid channel number on your machine. 

Want to test a channel changing speed?...select 'Open Network Stream' again, and enter the same URL but with a different channel number. 

spitefulgod

If you want to test how long NextPVR is taking, run VLC, select 'Open Network Stream' from the menu, and enter a url like this:

http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=4

Where 4 is replaced by a valid channel number on your machine. 

Want to test a channel changing speed?...select 'Open Network Stream' again, and enter the same URL but with a different channel number. 

Yes it's taking about 2 - 3 seconds in that situation, thanks for all your feedback on this, very helpful and now that I've fixed the issues with my machine I'll continue using it and will donate next week when I get paid.