multi-part movie stacking update

StLDreiling

StLDreiling

​Was just wondering if bringing stacked, multi-part movie support to Emby's first-party apps was on the horizon. I saw a thread related to Emby Theater UWP where Luke mentioned it hadn't been implemented "yet," suggesting (to my hopeful ears) that it was still planned. But I notice it's not supported in the brand new, rebuilt from-the-ground-up Emby Beta for Roku, either.

​If @@Luke and/or @@ebr could weigh in and let us know a general time frame ("this summer," "by end of year," "whenever Apple releases the new Mac Pro," etc.)...

Hi.  This item ends up being fairly low priority in the newer apps simply because it is quite rare these days to have a need for it.

What is your situation where you need this and cannot combine the item into a single file?

It is supported in the blue neon roku app. Its a simple addition, not sure why the developers are having difficulty in getting the 20 minutes it takes to add it to each of the other apps. Its the same way they add intro/trailers pre-play before a movie to add additional parts after the movie as post-play items.

Edited by speechles

StLDreiling

Hi.  This item ends up being fairly low priority in the newer apps simply because it is quite rare these days to have a need for it.

What is your situation where you need this and cannot combine the item into a single file?

I suppose "concatenating my mp4s is a pain in the a**" probably doesn't rise to the level of a "need." A number of my movies came from multi-disc box sets that divided the extremely long feature films into two discs (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Godfather Part II, Gone With the Wind, Wyatt Earp, The Ten Commandments, Titanic, to name just a few of the 34 such titles in my library).

​But I think I have my answer, so I'll get started combining them. Are there plans to actually deprecate stacking in the future?

StLDreiling

It is supported in the blue neon roku app. Its a simple addition, not sure why the developers are having difficulty in getting the 20 minutes it takes to add it to each of the other apps. Its the same way they add intro/trailers pre-play before a movie to add additional parts after the movie as post-play items.

Truth be told, @@speechles, it was searching for this functionality that I "found" Blue Neon Night in the first place. Still my primary Roku app. Also looks like Kodi supports it (sort of, I guess; I read a lot in the threads how it's broken!). Odd that none of the "official" apps (as far as I have experienced) have implemented it. Even the otherwise excellent Ember for Emby doesn't support it.

Edited by StLDreiling

Are there plans to actually deprecate stacking in the future?

No, we don't have any plans to deprecate it at this time.  

It just isn't something that gets paid attention to in new development simply because there is such little need for it, you get a better experience by combining the files (seamless playback, proper runtime and OSD, etc.) and it is really easy to combine them once and never have to worry about it again.

Speechles - we have to apportion every 20 minutes we have :).  There are about 1,000 things that would "only take 20 minutes"...

Speechles - we have to apportion every 20 minutes we have :). There are about 1,000 things that would "only take 20 minutes"...

That 1,000 number seems arbitrary and unrealistic, but I do get your point. Some time is spent ponitifcating, and resting on ones laurels too. Posting help to forum users, and eating/sleeping/family is what I mean.

So of the time used for development, some things are only rarely added as feature requests. I understand, its the name of the game, feed the many voices that scream the loudest, the quiet may not see as much food.

Thats why I am really here just to fan the flames so to speak, show there are apps that do allow for it, and try to persuade other apps to follow suit. Its not imperative, or mission critical that this be added. It would just be nice. Having nice things is.. well.. nice. Nice is what makes more money by appearing well, nice. You guys do a very good job of staying nice, and honestly, I respect that. Everyone have a nice day. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ShoutingMan

Having successfully concatenated the LOTR movies on my first try, I also recommend this and forgetting about the missing stacked-movie playback feature. :)

StLDreiling

I got maybe half of them done w/ concat demux, no issues. The others didn't come through w/ the video stream, just X hours of audio, so I'm probably looking at having to transcode to mpeg first. Which is weird, and annoying, since I've used the exact same x264 Handbrake profile for all my DVDs/BDs for years.

​I know it's not topical, per se, but if anyone wants to PM me some ffmpeg-wrangling tips, I'd be much obliged. Otherwise, thanks for the feedback, and for Emby server/apps in general! 

Waldonnis

I got maybe half of them done w/ concat demux, no issues. The others didn't come through w/ the video stream, just X hours of audio, so I'm probably looking at having to transcode to mpeg first. Which is weird, and annoying, since I've used the exact same x264 Handbrake profile for all my DVDs/BDs for years.

​I know it's not topical, per se, but if anyone wants to PM me some ffmpeg-wrangling tips, I'd be much obliged. Otherwise, thanks for the feedback, and for Emby server/apps in general! 

Probably the easiest way is just to use mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge to just append the second file to the first (if they're mkv files; if not, then it's still useful and you can just remux to do a container swap).  If you want to eliminate the often-few-seconds-of-padding between the parts, you'll have to split each of the files first at the start/end times of each file (where the audio/video stops or starts to eliminate the filler frames), then do the append operation using the resulting files.  I do this with my source files before encoding, then just encode the concatenated file as one piece.  You may have to adjust the chapter names if they're generic, but that can be done after you're satisfied with the results (the chapter editor is decent enough and can edit in place).  There's one caveat to using mkvtoolnix for this, though, in that it will only split at the first keyframe it encounters after the time specified rather than the exact time, so the split may not be exactly at the specified time.  If more precision is required, then a bit more work will be needed.  Fortunately, most two-part movies will have keyframes at the beginning/end of the respective segments and at chapter markers, so it probably won't be an issue.

I can help with ffmpeg commands if you'd like, but I'm not sure what you've been trying so far and where it might be going wrong.  Feel free to PM me with a particular scenario and we can work from there.

One2Go

I have BD Disc 1 & BD Disc 2 for "The Company" they are in separate folders under one top folder. When scanning them it only shows one Disc1 does not at all show and find disc 2. When clicking on play it ask play part 1 but it will never switch to play part 2. I really want to keep the BDs and don't like the idea to totally change the structure by either converting them into MKVs. I use PDVD 16 as an external player for playback and it plays the first disc fine just can't get to the second disc.

How do I play two different discs of the same title?

Do I have to trick the system into two different movies and then change all the meta data of the bogus one?

For LOTR Extended version I did combine the parts which is fine since it is one movie, but "The Company" has two 90 minute episodes on 1 disc and a 90 minute episode plus extras on disc 2.

Will I run into the same problem with TV shows as for "Suits" I have 4 BD discs per season?

EDIT: Renamed Disc 2 to Company (2011) and it imported all the correct images and meta data from the movie.xml file that was in the folder. Did the same with the others just renamed the folder Disc2 and Disc3 to something else and all the meta data was picked up correctly. That was easy.

Edited by One2Go

• 1 year later...

Any advice on what program to use? I have concatenated most of my library with AVIdemux, but The Wild Bunch eludes me, it swears that there is a frame height mismatch between part a and part b and just refuses to proceed.