Show Off Your Internet Speed

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

Google Fiber is in sf. Hopefully it won't be too long before it makes its way to the north bay. Until then, Comcast. 240/12.

pir8radio

Google Fiber is in sf. Hopefully it won't be too long before it makes its way to the north bay. Until then, Comcast. 240/12.

Its weird to hear about all of these goofy comcast/xfinity plans in different areas....   They don't even offer a 240/12 here...  but we can get 2gigabit for a car payment its just strange to me that they have so many different plans between the different states and counties.....     

58ed7234d27a8_xfinity.png

Guest asrequested

Its weird to hear about all of these goofy comcast/xfinity plans in different areas....   They don't even offer a 240/12 here...  but we can get 2gigabit for a car payment its just strange to me that they have so many different plans between the different states and counties.....     

It must have something to do with the cable infrastructure, and local regulations.

Edited by Doofus

CharleyVarrick

As a telcom worker, I have an unlimited 120d/20u plan for 25$/month (employee discount). Otherwise they're asking 75$ for it.

I have used up to 4.5tb per month since I went for it.

They also offer unlimited gigabyte internet (940d/50u) but they're charging 150$/month for regular folks. I haven't asked yet what's my staff price

Edited by jlr19

• 1 month later...
Blueeyiz702

I'm in Las Vegas Nevada and none of the isp's will service my area because its such a crappy neighborhood. Do you guys have any idea's where or what i might do do get faster speed

592d2dcddf4a7_screenshotwwwspeedtestnet2

Its sad that you have to deal with internet speeds this slow,and no isp is willing to provide service. This is a joke,if you can pay for it whats the problem. Greedy @^$*$

Edited by Blueeyiz702

CharleyVarrick

Wow,

this was already bad 15 years ago.

What do you mean by crappy neighborhood?

I actually work for a big telcom (up north in Canada), and we do have a channel for voicing frustrated customer (& non-customer alike). I can't guarantee it'll work for you but write an actual paper-envelope-stamp letter to your ISP's upper management. This way you go over the head of the front lines of contacts straight to the top (or very near it).  

Good luck!

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I pay $74/month CAD for a 25/2 Mbps connection with no caps which obviously is not enough upload bandwidth for even a single Emby stream. So I rent a dedicated server in Germany with 1000/1000 Mbps connection, i7 3770 CPU, 32 GB ram, 24 TB of storage, plus the cost of electricity to run it 24/4 all for the same cost of my terrible home connection. They are rolling out fibre in my city but it isn't available in my neighborhood yet and even with the fibre packages the upload bandwidth is abysmal. That is the Canadian telecommunication industry for you :(  

CharleyVarrick

The problem is universal, and not limited to a country, state/province or city. It's called "Good Ol' ROi, you know this guy?

Return on Investment is the name of the game. Telcom complains they can't offer top tier service everywhere, because of low population density, high distance to cover, too much competition, and the such. It is not false that in some area, they will never break even, but... We don't hear them complain when they're providing full services in highly populated city area. Infrastructure cost are absorbed in a few weeks when you get 70% customer share in high rise city blocks.

Sometime, city hall and various level of governments must step in and twist the telcom's arm into providing adequate services at a fair price for their population.

Edited by jlr19

Jdiesel

The problem is universal, and not limited to a country, state/province or city. It's called "Good Ol' ROi, you know this guy?

Return on Investment, its the name of the name. Telcom complains they can't offer top tier service everywhere, because of low population density, high distance to cover, too much competition, and the such. It is not false that in some area, they will never break even, but... We don't hear them complain when they're providing full services in highly populated city area. Infrastructure cost are absorbed in a few weeks when you get 70% customer share in high rise city blocks.

Sometime, city hall and various level of governments must step in and twist the telcom's arm into providing adequate services at a fair price for their population.

That is very true. I live in a Canadian province that operates a government/public telecommunications company (the last remaining in Canada if I'm not mistaken). By only existing the government run telecommunications company forces the "Big Three" private telecommunications companies to significantly reduce prices to remain competitive in this region. So much so that there is a black market for cell phones registered in this province that are shipped elsewhere in Canada to be used. When the exact same plan with one three private companies costs $20 per month less in one region with a population of 250,000 and government competition than a region with a population of 2,500,000 and no competition it goes to show that population density isn't really the driving force. That being said there is no surprise that the "Big Three" telecommunication companies have been foaming at the mouth to buy out the last remaining government run company and put an end to this competition once and for all. Just a bit of a rant for my fellow Canadians who are all well aware of Canada's telecom prices as compared to other first-world counties. 

• 3 weeks later...
Untoten

Mine seems to vary between test sites... I have two gigabit internet connections that are identical, I load balance my incoming requests between the two NIC's but I have no way to bind them for a speedtest, so these are my results for one connection/NIC. My actual bandwidth should be double what these results show. My emby server also sits in a data center.

speedtest.png

speedtestbeta.png

This just shows the load balancing taking place when someone watches a movie:

58e4de942f994_loadbalance.png

So my speed should be around 1.8/1.8Gbps ±100Mbps

ISP? Metro Area?

EDIT: I'm an idiot it's in the first pic... Damn, I live in Mil, gotta get a house down there just for emby lol

Edited by Untoten
  • Like 1

pir8radio

ISP? Metro Area?

EDIT: I'm an idiot it's in the first pic... Damn, I live in Mil, gotta get a house down there just for emby lol

Actually my emby sits in a low cost data center.  They have two main fiber backbone connections cogent, and Level3.    I just used Comcast's speed test, because it used to test on IPv4 and IPv6.   But it no longer does, they use speedtest.net 's html5 speed test now, so I might as well stick to beta.speedtest.net. 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Untoten

@@pir8radio  How much does it cost?  i have probably 4u's of real estate between my 2u 2950 and my 8 externals.  I also have reservations about this because if they get raided, I don't have much rights.

I use google's speedtest, built into chrome.

pir8radio

@@pir8radio  How much does it cost?  i have probably 4u's of real estate between my 2u 2950 and my 8 externals.  I also have reservations about this because if they get raided, I don't have much rights.

I use google's speedtest, built into chrome.

The data center I'm in doesn't advertise prices so I don't want to post that info here.. But I have 5U's of space and I pay a little more than what this company is charging for 4U's.  http://webcs.com/webcsdocs/server_colocation.php      that company also uses convergent and level3.  They have a few data centers,Indiana/Chicago, Dallas, and Kansas City.

The data center I'm in still has rules, and abides by all laws..  It's not a hacker data center or anything.  I'm sure they monitor their network, so you shouldn't do anything shady either or they will boot you.  I wouldn't worry about it getting "raided" but rather a fire or natural disaster..   I have insurance on my server.   :)

Just tried the google speed test, and it couldn't keep up lol.  This is what I was talking about, it's hit or miss with some speed tests once you get above 400mbps or so   I then tried AT&T's speed test and it looks better.

594860b08978f_google.png   594860e77fa84_ATT.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Untoten

The data center I'm in doesn't advertise prices so I don't want to post that info here.. But I have 5U's of space and I pay a little more than what this company is charging for 4U's.  http://webcs.com/webcsdocs/server_colocation.php      that company also uses convergent and level3.  They have a few data centers,Indiana/Chicago, Dallas, and Kansas City.

The data center I'm in still has rules, and abides by all laws..  It's not a hacker data center or anything.  I'm sure they monitor their network, so you shouldn't do anything shady either or they will boot you.  I wouldn't worry about it getting "raided" but rather a fire or natural disaster..   I have insurance on my server.   :)

Just tried the google speed test, and it couldn't keep up lol.  This is what I was talking about, it's hit or miss with some speed tests once you get above 400mbps or so   I then tried AT&T's speed test and it looks better.

594860b08978f_google.png   594860e77fa84_ATT.png

59486ca5ab9bf_speedtest.png

Woa you are right.... I guess the fanboi in me expected more from google...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Latchmor

5abc4fdea6da3_C9p6Z.png

So that explains why you're hardly ever here and take soooo long to respond  :P  :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
pir8radio

Well I finally got around to bonding my two gigabit connections together, and it was tough to find a speed test that can handle a LACP connection over 1Gb.  But here is my new record wooo...  little slower than I was hoping for..   ^_^

5b984b0ed6404_speedtest09112018.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Well I finally got around to bonding my two gigabit connections together, and it was tough to find a speed test that can handle a LACP connection over 1Gb. But here is my new record wooo... little slower than I was hoping for.. ^_^

5b984b0ed6404_speedtest09112018.png

WTF? Holy crap! Now you should get a 10G network :D

pir8radio

WTF? Holy crap! Now you should get a 10G network :D

lol, dont have the monies for a 10 gig connection.. You are the 10gig guy!   plus i hardly use the 2 gigs i have....  Most of the dumb stuff I do is for the challenge of doing it.  :)     

Guest asrequested

lol, dont have the monies for a 10 gig connection.. You are the 10gig guy!   plus i hardly use the 2 gigs i have....  Most of the dumb stuff I do is for the challenge of doing it.  :)     

I've got a 10G Quanta switch that I'm throwing out. I just haven't got around to actually putting it in the garbage.