Using SVP as renderer?

jscoys

jscoys

Hello little question, maybe @@Luke could participate and help me understanding ;-)

I wonder if it could be possible to use the SVP software (https://www.svp-team.com) in Emby today? What I understand is that it has to be included among list of renderers in video options with EVR and MadVr. To be honest, it's a great renderer, using different softwares (MadVr, reclock...) to play video smoothly up to 60 FPS and applying great image enhancements.

To be honest, if it could be implemented into Emby Theatre directly, I would be able to stop using External Player option...

Thx for you answer ;-)

jscoys

I don't know it's an option you can do in svp. Honestly I don't know really well how it works but with mpc-Hc the video is amazing, without the need of madvr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscoys

Do you think it's possible in Emby Theatre to use it? I could help you better by getting more info on how it works by joining svp community.

jscoys

I have to test better but first observations are that svp has a better smooth playback than madvr. On internet benchmarks and comparison they say the same.

Jdiesel

SVP does frame interpolation much like is done on many newer LCD TVs by duplicating frames. Some like the ultrasmooth motion while others hate the soap opera effect. I personally don't​ care for it and disable it on my TVs.

madVR also does frame rate/refresh rate correction but instead of duplicating frames like SVP it blends frames which reduces 3:2 pulldown judder when watching on a 60hz display while still maintaining the cinimatic motion of a 24hz video.

Both improve by matching video framerate to the display refresh rate. SVP does it with a soap opera effect, madVR does it while maintaining the original video motion.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 2

jscoys

Hum interesting information thx! Maybe it could be interesting to let the choice between both?

JeremyFr79

If Jdiesel is right, there's really no reason to include it since most video card drivers and or TV's already do this and do so with less or no usage of the CPU.  If you've got a TV built in the last 5 to 6 years it most likely has a "smooth motion" or similar setting that does this on the TV directly thus requiring no further resources from your PC.  I also know that ATI and I believe Intels Video Drivers have a similar feature built right into them again requiring one less piece of software and typically in the GPU instead of the CPU using less resources overall.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

SVP does frame interpolation much like is done on many newer LCD TVs but duplicating frames. Some like the ultrasmooth motion while others hate the soap opera effect. I personally don't​ care for it and disable it on my TVs.

madVR also does frame rate/refresh rate correction but instead of duplicating frames like SVP it blends frames which reduces 3:2 pulldown when watching on a 60hz display while still maintaining the cinimatic motion of a 24hz video.

Both improve by matching video framerate to the display refresh rate. SVP does it with a soap opera effect, madVR does it while maintaining the original video motion.

That is some good information.

jscoys

On my Sony tv 50 inches from 2012 I don't have a smooth playback with Emby and madvr. I activate game mode in my gtx 750 ti to force the 60 hz on the tv and the tv is 120hz. If I use Splash 2.0 I have a clean playback and really smooth. But madvr in Emby doesn't give me good results. Do you have some suggestions to help me having a smoothly playback?

Edited by jscoys

JeremyFr79

On my Sony tv 50 inches from 2012 I don't have a smooth playback with Emby and madvr. I activate game mode in my gtx 750 ti to force the 60 hz on the tv and the tv is 120hz. If I use Splash 2.0 I have a clean playback and really smooth. But madvr in Emby doesn't give me good results. Do you have some suggestions to help me having a smoothly playback?

Panel refresh rates are just marketing gimmicks.  For movies you want to make sure you're outputting 24hz to the TV and let it's post processing do the rest, for all other content you want 60hz output to the TV, anything outside of those 2 and you'll start seeing issues with stutter etc.

jscoys

Seems that there are also a solution with the software Reclock... I will investigate! Thx for all your good advices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
jscoys

Ok just to have a complete answer : is there a wait today to use SVP with Emby Theatre? When I use internal player of ET and launch a video playback, SVP doesn't catch the playback and is not used at all... Is someone succeed in using SVP with ET?

Guest asrequested

Was talking about SVP, but thx anyway ;-) I will test new ET MVP version.

I know. I was saying that is what is going to be used, in future. It's highly unlikely that SVP will be used.

Yes if we move from a directshow-based player to mpv, then an svp renderer will no longer be possible.

jscoys

Hum it seems that SVP is compatible with MVP, but only for a specific build of MVP... I have to investigate deeper...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

jscoys

MPV has a rendering option to achieve same outcome as SVP or madVR. It can be enabled by adding “interpolation" to the MPV.conf.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Interpolation

Hello Jdiesel! I just tried this afternoon what you told about and I don't have great results in display. I search for 2 hours on internet and it seems that despite this parameter, nothing can help having a smoother playback on my Sony TV 120hz from 2012... It seems that interpolation and smooth playback on both madvr and MPV are really far from SVP in term of quality (in my case). Just have a look to the video I just posted before in this topic and you will understand what I'm saying, or just test SVP (don't have any stock-options in this company ;-)). If it's just what MPV could offer today, unfortunately, I will continue using external player option in ET with MPC-HC/SVP. Hope MPV will improve their smooth playback algorithms in the future ;-)

Jdiesel

What hardware are you using? MPV and madVR use the GPU for interpolation and require a beefy GPU (discrete or high end Intel). SVP on the other hand uses the CPU for its interpolation. What does your MPV.conf look like? This is mine for my Nvidia GT 550 TI.

scale=lanczos

cscale=lanczos

dscale=mitchell

temporal-dither

dither-depth=auto

correct-downscaling

interpolation

Edited by Jdiesel