Can I record live DRM-protected shows?

tecknotot

tecknotot

Before I purchase, Im curious if I can use my HDHomeRun Prime and Emby to record my shows that are DRM-protected or HBO and such to watch later?

Thank you!

Hi, DRM is not supported at this time but is a possibility for the future. Thanks !

Viewing is supported, just not recording, correct?

No because the copy-protection is designed to carry all the way through to the playback device.

To my knowledge, WMC is the only system that ever implemented this ability (other than the apps from the providers themselves, like HBO-Go).

• 1 month later...
Neumie1521

The HDHomeRun App on Windows now allows for DRM Protected channels to be played on Windows 10 Creators Update.  You must install the MPEG-2 Video Extension out of the store before it all works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Untoten

No because the copy-protection is designed to carry all the way through to the playback device.

To my knowledge, WMC is the only system that ever implemented this ability (other than the apps from the providers themselves, like HBO-Go).

@@ebr, this always confused me.  If WMC can decode legally, why, if we use the WMC server plugin , does it not play in Emby?  wouldn't it be using WMC as the decoder?

@@ebr, this always confused me.  If WMC can decode legally, why, if we use the WMC server plugin , does it not play in Emby?  wouldn't it be using WMC as the decoder?

As per the cablelabs certification requirements, WMC only allows decryption of this type of protected content for playback over a fully protected display path. ie, HDCP protected HDMI connection directly to a HDCP capable monitor. It'd never allow sending of unencrypted version of the content to untrusted software like Emby or Kodi etc, where the user could be doing what ever they want with the content (such as taking perfect-digital copies of that content for uploading to the internet). The WMC server plugin is entirely untrusted to Microsoft, so only able to access copy-freely content, which is unprotected. 

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

Untoten

@@sub3 my god thank you for explaining that I have been smashing my head against the wall thinking I was doing something wrong.  is there a way to broadcast the stream over a virtual hdmi?

Dizzy49

The HDHomeRun App on Windows now allows for DRM Protected channels to be played on Windows 10 Creators Update.  You must install the MPEG-2 Video Extension out of the store before it all works.

So if Emby Server is running Windows 10 with the Creator's Update, it should be able to record from HDHomerun.  Then the clients should be able to play it back :D

So if Emby Server is running Windows 10 with the Creator's Update, it should be able to record from HDHomerun.  Then the clients should be able to play it back :D

The answer to all of this is in the acronym - Digital Rights Management.

The system is designed so that the content providers can control the content end to end.  Any hole in the system at any point opens up the ability for someone to get an unprotected stream which then negates the content owners ability to control their digital rights. 

So, in your example, the stream cannot be "decoded" and recorded for use on any device later. That would defeat the whole purpose of protecting the content.  The stream must stay protected at all times and only can be delivered on and displayed by an approved, licensed device/app that can decode it.