Server Impossible To Use On Synology Nas - Painfully Slow

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

I recently bought a second hand synology ds411j. I installed the emby server on it and then i updated it. When i try to use server and launch it, the web interface sometimes does nothing, i keep refreshing it and it might eventually load, trying to navigate using the dashboard menu etc is impossible, it just does not load properly or work properly. I have no issues with the server installed on my pc. Any ideas why im having these problems?

mystic.bertie

Hi @@mystic.bertie, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please provide the emby server log from the time frame that it was slot. You can learn how to do that by seeing how to report a problem. Thanks !

I cant get into the web interface to access the logs, it just keeps trying to load the :8096/web/wizardstart.html but all i get is a grey screen. Because its on a nas i cant view the log folder the way you can on a windows pc.

Edited by mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

Hi @@mystic.bertie, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please provide the emby server log from the time frame that it was slot. You can learn how to do that by seeing how to report a problem. Thanks !

My nas has 1.2ghz cpu and 128mb of ram could that be the reason the server wont work well?

mystic.bertie

That is a very low amount of RAM but it should still work.

It looks like i will give up, i cant access the log files and after a few reinstallations it still has the same problem. I installed Sabnzbd on my nas too, it would not go past 1.5MB/s (12mb/s) for download speed, i think the low spec is limiting what this nas can do. 

mystic.bertie

I posted on one of the Synology forums about my issue, a couple of fol reckon that my nas is not powerful enough to run packages but its fine for storage uses etc, so i will forget running anything like that on it for now.

I have got simular problems:

The configuration part of Emby Server runs ok - not good, but ok. It just sometimes is slow, and I have to reload several times then until it works again.

But the "home" part of the server does not work at all.. It stucks, shows me the "cricle of death" quite often - also if I e.g. select "movies" it does not sow me all artwork - I only see "nothing" instead. (see attached screenshot).

I have added my log and I hope someone could help.

post-197556-0-03426600-1492349315_thumb.png

Log.txt.zip

mystic.bertie

I have got simular problems:

The configuration part of Emby Server runs ok - not good, but ok. It just sometimes is slow, and I have to reload several times then until it works again.

But the "home" part of the server does not work at all.. It stucks, shows me the "cricle of death" quite often - also if I e.g. select "movies" it does not sow me all artwork - I only see "nothing" instead. (see attached screenshot).

I have added my log and I hope someone could help.

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2017-04-16 um 15.27.25.png

attachicon.gifLog.txt.zip

What ram and cpu speed do you have? Im not sure if  server can be run on mine with 128mb ram or if there is another reason its so unresponsive. The guys on the Synology forum reckon my nas is lacking in ram and cpu so i have given up. I would of course be interested if there was a solution to running server on my 128mb of ram nas.

Power should not be the problem... it´s a DS916+ with 1,6GHz Quadcore (burst up to 2,56GHz) and 8GB RAM...

No difference if I am using Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

I also disabled the (currently enabmeld - but ports for Emby are open) firewall on my DS for testing - no difference.

Edited by Crady

Yep that really made a difference! Thanks.

But it really would be nice using these plugins... especially kodi sync really helps for a fast startup.

mystic.bertie

Yep that really made a difference! Thanks.

But it really would be nice using these plugins... especially kodi sync really helps for a fast startup.

I could not even get mine to work from the start and i had nothing like plugins installed, i guess my nas just does not have the resources to run these addons.

solabc16

Hi @@mystic.bertie

When you say recently, I'm guessing this was a second hand / hand me down acquisition.

The DS411j is a 2011 release and has Marvell's Kirkwood processor, so it is one of the lowest powered platforms out there.

We still support them as with some hardware/library combinations, users have found it's just about workable.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hi @@Crady

How are you getting on, is the system still performing well without Kodi Sync?

You'll find some other posts here with a common thread linking back to Kodi Sync.

You're h/w is certainly capable of running Emby Server well.

The cause in a number of cases has been Kodi Sync creating an enormous database when the system is first setup and/or a significant amount of new media is added.

Uninstalling the plugin then adding it back again at a later time often results in everything working 'normally'.

Best

- James

mystic.bertie

Hi @@mystic.bertie

When you say recently, I'm guessing this was a second hand / hand me down acquisition.

The DS411j is a 2011 release and has Marvell's Kirkwood processor, so it is one of the lowest powered platforms out there.

We still support them as with some hardware/library combinations, users have found it's just about workable.

Best

- James

Yes i bought this nas second hand. I have never used one before and i never knew that much about them. I had no idea they could be used to run other useful addons like Emby server and Sabnzbd. I will be fine just using my NUC for these tasks, if i ever upgrade my nas i will ensure i get a more powerful one. 

• 2 months later...

I use Synology DS111 (1.6GHz Marvell Kirkwood CPU, 256MB RAM). Emby works on it but the problem is more than just getting painfully slow response from Emby - it slows down the entire system, so just logging into DSM and using DSM is painfully slow since I installed Emby.

mystic.bertie

I gave up, i think the low spec of the nas is ok for storage but nothing else. I also noticed transferring files was slower if you set emby server to monitor folders, it matters more if you transfer a lot of big files like bluray folders. 

I also give up. Will try to run Emby on a separate server (mini PC such as Zotac) to offload it from Synology. I will then be able also to turn Synology's "Video station" because Emby will replace it. This will further reduce the load off of my NAS.

I use 3 Fire TV devices. Can I run Emby Server on one of them, to serve the others? Is Fire TV powerful enough and has no issues running Emby server (I know Fire TV has an Emby client).

Thank you,

Oren.

Edited by orenk